why DH is not popular???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

why DH is not popular???

ive being watching gravity games in OLNive being watching gravity games in OLN and theres nothing about DH, same story with X games. So why is DH not a very popular sport to be in TV?
    Why is not extreme enough to be on TV?

i want to see DH in tv now

Former Noob Herder
    it used to be on the X-Games, and sometimes you find WC races, but really DH is not very telegenic and hard to cover properly. The stuff i saw was boring as hell. Much better in the video or 'Drop'in' produced format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    it used to be on the X-Games, and sometimes you find WC races, but really DH is not very telegenic and hard to cover properly. The stuff i saw was boring as hell. Much better in the video or 'Drop'in' produced format.
    The clips of the WC Championships on freecaster.com looked pretty bad a$$. If we could get more coverage like that, or how they covered the Jeep King of the Mountain series last summer, that could REALLY help the sport! Heck, I'd be a camera man for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i sure if they have the right jumps, camera angles and stuff it will be [email protected]$$

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    The clips of the WC Championships on freecaster.com looked pretty bad a$$. If we could get more coverage like that, or how they covered the Jeep King of the Mountain series last summer, that could REALLY help the sport! Heck, I'd be a camera man for that.
    i agree. that was some of the best put up race footge ive seen (well on something like this)
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    There is a up and down to popularity. The up side would be more trails would be built therefor making everyone happy. And the down side you ask? The newly built trails or the older ones would become over used and always be swamped. I say mtb'ing better a cult sport. Just my input
    signature

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic
    i sure if they have the right jumps, camera angles and stuff it will be [email protected]$$
    from what i've heard tho, what the tv people want and what the race organisers want is two different things.

I think produced coverage can be great, but the taped live stuff i've seen hasent been all that good, especially since alot of courses are heavily wooded.

mtbr member

Mabey....

"especially since alot of courses are heavily wooded".
    They could use that to there advantage. Mount cameras on trees and zip lines like in the X-games moto-x. That would be prime for some sick angles.
    signature

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by LandonVega
    They could use that to there advantage. Mount cameras on trees and zip lines like in the X-games moto-x. That would be prime for some sick angles.
    cant use zip lines in the trees, and theres only so many 100k cameras they can distribute. Its easy for all the other sports since their in limited and open areas, like an area or straight down a ski slope, not snaking through the woods.

mtbr member
    touche mr zedro, touche
    signature

Now with flavor!!
    As far a sports coverage, DH ain't popular so that bass fishin can be. And shootin sh!t......I mean the "sportsman's lifestyle".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is just a rookie observation as I havn't seen any televised DH events. I did see portions of a DH race from a chairlift - It appeared that not much was really happening but I can tell you when I was on the same run I was like Holy S$%T this is crazy. Watch a 2 stroke MX'er burning up a stadium track gives spectators an eyefull even if they never rode a bike.

painfully ordinary
    I think more events like red bull and UFC would get better results as far as TV watching goes, jmo.
    I got nuthin......

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleA's
    I think more events like red bull and UFC would get better results as far as TV watching goes, jmo.
    While UFC isn't really an "event", I think it would be kind of cool to follow the progression of the contest in kind of a month long series. Then callers could vote people off the island,... I mean .......uh well, you know.

painfully ordinary
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    While UFC isn't really an "event", I think it would be kind of cool to follow the progression of the contest in kind of a month long series. Then callers could vote people off the island,... I mean .......uh well, you know.
    lol, thats to funny
    I got nuthin......

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    because they cant put cameras on them the entire time and watch every minute detail....

Same thing goes for Nascar and Ralley. The trails are long and drawn out and you can only have a stationary camera that'll pivot as the rider goes by. I mean the best you could do is rig like 8 cameras and just switch from one to the next in a series... but that costs money. And spending money is not something they're trying to do, they're trying to make money.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Some Assembly Required

Ain't no money in winnin' races @ this point.

The one big sactionin' body, NORBA, decided to quash that. Paul Mitchell & Jeep have done more to get mtn bikin' on the tube than anyone else has in the last yr.
    I agree that more coverage on the tube will popularize the sport, to some extent, but, then you'll have 5-10 noob's to deal w/on yer local dh trail instead of 1'er 2. Prices might come down. On the other hand, (not that I have one ), as long as they keep making dvd's & we don't have the trails over run, we'll have the "Gnar-core few" that are willin' to come out on trail days & clean, dig, saw & create new lines/trails & prices will stay up cause there aren't enough people to buy enough stuff to get prod. cost down. There are always gonna be those that try the sport out on an entry level bike, & its up to us to find out if they have the willpower to deal w/the pain & adrenaline of it all, that & they're gonna need a butt load of cash before they get anywhere remotely happy w/their bike.
    As far as dh bein' popular....check out just how civil we treat each other in this forum. Doesn't take trollin'/lurkin' through a few posts to figure out your gonna get flammed @ th' drop of a hat. I mean you gotta really love this aspect of the sport to put up w/these guys.

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    I saw some slalom stuff.It was called Red Bull race to the center of the earth. They were racing slalom in some salt mines in germany, they had tro have flashlight and stuff.I saw dh once too but it kind of sucked.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

mtbr member
    IMO, because it can't be done in a stadium.

Because it can't be done in a stadium, it won't gain huge popularity.

Because it can't gain a lot of popularity, there'll never be large salaries for pro racers or huge purses for the winners.

XC won't take off either, due to lack of spectators. Road bike races get good exposure because they are on the road, and spectators can flock to the roadside and watch up close. Chase motorcycles with TV camera's probably wouldn't work good on a MTB race either.

But these are just my thoughts.. What do I know?

Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004
    mountain cross with be big in a few years
    h0okd 0N phonicks work fose ME!!!

I CAN'T SPELL
    SO WHAT
    GET OVER IT

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantAC1
    mountain cross with be big in a few years
    that got me thinking why the X-Games chose to feature downhill BMX instead of a 4X mtb type deal, and from reading the "Do we suck" thread, maybe it has to do with the talent pool size in BMX vs. mtb, and the fact theres more rider/event cross-overs using BMX for a DH style event. Less specialized riders who cross-over can mean more events with less total athletes, which could possibly mean cheaper to run the whole event.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    IMO, because it can't be done in a stadium.

Because it can't be done in a stadium, it won't gain huge popularity.
    What about bass fishing? That seems to be pretty popular. How about surfing? I'm not trying to be a smartie, just saying that it doesn't have to be in a stadium.

However, I do agree that the reason why so many of these "extreme" sports have become so popular is because they are spectator friendly. They set up bleachers at surf events (if you couldn't tell by now, I surf too). That's what helped to bring super big prize money because people were more willing to come and watch because they weren't stepping all over each other to see what was happenning. I've seen a few races where the courses weren't on such steep hills, but on more gently rolling slopes where people didn't need to hike like a mountain goat to see what was happenning.

Another thing they could do in addition to the bleachers is to put a big screen at the bottom so people can see what is happening up the hill before they blaze down the last stretch.

Sorry for rambling; I'd just love to see more of it on the boob tube.

at least i admit it
    Ok, yeah it would kinda be cool to see downhill on TV. But then you have to suffer all the consequences of a popular sport.
    Jesus, look what has happened to skateboarding. It has lost all its flair for the thrill of skating and moved to sponsors, video games, and promos. Now, skaters can't skate in the cities where the sport began, because there are too many idiots out there tryin to be Tony Hawk and hurting themselves. So, they have to go to a skate park. Probably the one skatepark for like a 100 mile radius, and then they have to wait behind 20 little kids to hit a ramp.

Do you really want to have to wait in lines take a run down the mountain, or up the lift. There are lots of benefits to a sport that is not made for TV. I guess downhill isn't ready to sell its soul to the devil yet. Give it time, I am sure TV will help to ruin one of the last sports that can be cool without being overtly popular.
    go outside and play

mtbr member
    I'm with you 100%.. As far as hunting/bass fishing shows go, don't underestiate the "redneck" population. I'm in SoCal, so it's sometimes hard to imagine that there's tens of millions of people east of me that rush to their sporting goods stores the instant a new lure is released. C'mon, just look at the popularity of NASCAR???

I've actually given this a lot of thought, and I'd love to see MTB get 1/4 the popularity that road bike racing gets.

I think TV-ability has a lot to do with it. It only takes one camera man to tape some fisherman catching some bass. With surfing, a couple of cameras with good zoom lenses on the shore can catch all the action. But it'd be hard (expensive) to put enough cameras in the woods to catch the same action on a couple mile long DH course, let alone a 10mile XC loop...