who's using dt swiss 5.1d's?????- Mtbr.com
    biking is fun

who's using dt swiss 5.1d's?????

so here is my dilema. i have a pair of 5.1d's waiting to be laced up to hope pro 2's. the only problem is that i am going from azonic outlaws to these and am a little worried they wont hold up
    here is what i do
    i pedal up on some XCish trails once a week
    i dirt jump twice a week
    i ride a resort or shuttle once a week.

i weigh 170 and ride a bottlerocket.

is this going to hold up or should i just sell the rim and get something a little beefier

Awesomist™
    I ride DT Swiss wheels and love them. They're soft though, and will likely dent and ding pretty easily if you abuse the heck out of them, which I do. But the nice thing is you can dent them to bejesus and not flat, something not always possible with a beefier or stiffer rim.

Lots of people hate on them because the metal is soft, I like it. But I race, and I like to make it to the bottom of the track on a race run. I also don't mind if my wheels are all mangled looking as long as I can true them and ride I'm good.

Hope that helps?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

biking is fun
    yeah i have heard they are soft. i want something that will last more than a season. im lacing them with dt comp spokes too

-> SickLines.com <-
    you might be ok with 5.1's, depends on your riding style and location. you could also get 721's for not much of a weight penalty and those should hold up great.

biking is fun
    i ride in good ole slc utah
    i ride fairly smooth, i take drops but nothing over 5 feet to flat and nothing over 10 feet to transition (yet)
    there are some rock gardens on the trails i ride but 90 percent is smooth
    i just don't want to bend them quick.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    You should be fine, but if you want to go stronger, I have a brand new set of ex823's sitting in my garage that I'll trade you straight up for. They're 32 hole and strong as hell.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    yeah i have heard they are soft. i want something that will last more than a season. im lacing them with dt comp spokes too
    And you are posting inaccurate, outdated information. I'm amazed at how the inaccurate information is perpetuated by just a few on a repeated basis.

The soft rim issue was with the 6.1d's. They were made with an incorrect alloy that made them soft and they would not last.

The 5.1's, on the other hand, were not affected by this, as they used a different alloy altogether. Their design spec and target is different from the 5.1. The previous thread that went down this route was addressed in more specifics by myself, in addition, a 6.1 user responded wtih a timeframe of his experience that was telling about the inaccuracy of some of these statements that continue to be perpetuated, despite this issue being increasingly from the past

biking is fun
    hey err,
    i just tried to pm you but it said either your box or my box is full

wanna ride for a little bit at i street? give me a call if you want to

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    i want something that will last more than a season.

I've never had ANY rim that lasted for more than a season - not DT Swiss, Mavic, or Sun anyways. And to clarify, the DT Swiss rims I am running on my DH bike are 6.1s, not 5.1s. They are "soft" and dinged up pretty badly, but again I didn't flat, and I did keep them rolling all season long despite the dents and such. Whether this alloy used was "incorrect" or not I can't say, but mine were new at the beginning of the 2006 season and although I would replace them NOW they are still rolling. As "soft" as they were/are, I wouldn't say that they lasted any shorter or longer of a period of time than other rims I have tried. A good wheel build and tension will go a long way at keeping you rolling all season long.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    And you are posting inaccurate, outdated information. I'm amazed at how the inaccurate information is perpetuated by just a few on a repeated basis.

The soft rim issue was with the 6.1d's. They were made with an incorrect alloy that made them soft and they would not last.

The 5.1's, on the other hand, were not affected by this, as they used a different alloy altogether. Their design spec and target is different from the 5.1. The previous thread that went down this route was addressed in more specifics by myself, in addition, a 6.1 user responded wtih a timeframe of his experience that was telling about the inaccuracy of some of these statements that continue to be perpetuated, despite this issue being increasingly from the past
    Very True

mtbr member
    I have been on a set of the I9 / DT5.1 for a few months now and love em. have been ridden reasonably hard through rock gardens and the like with no major issues.

regarding the soft 6.1 issue, DT changed the alloy for 07.

banned
    They were changed even earlier than that. DT actually addressed the problem fairly early.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    They were changed even earlier than that. DT actually addressed the problem fairly early.
    Mmm I dont know man, some friends were riding late 2006 and early 2007 6.1 and experienced soft alloys...

banned
    Likely because it was in the end-supply chain already and they didn't work their way up back to DT, or out to the consumer.

"Its All Good"
    I am with JC on this, that is BS to say DT rims are weak etc, that was sorted moons ago..

I have had I9's with 5.1 rims, have takena beating and been thrashed, still true as....

I wouldnt use 5.1'2 for DH though... I have a set of 823's on Hadley hub that Err built me, awesome wheels, my 3rd set...

But to answer your question, I would not use the 5.1's
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    And that has been the tricky issue with the soft 6.1's. It's hard to tell when they were manufactured. It was only the early '06 rims, consistent with the time line that Full Trucker acquired his and has clearly been riding the soft metal.

I expect this topic to resurface regularly for a while to come.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a set of FR2350's...DT said they're using differ alloys on the 6.1ds and FR2350's...i hope they really are stronger. Anyone riding on the 07's 6.1ds or 2350's?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Don't the 2007 Demo 8 come with 5.1? The site said my demo 7 came with e350 specailized rims but, they say dt swiss e350?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Members who have read this thread: 0