Who's got the lightest DH build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who's got the lightest DH build?

My bike weighs 42.7 lbs. Then I saw this on the SC forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/v1...ss-715887.html

30.5 lbs for a real DH build! I wonder if anyone else has a similar build. If I had this bike, I'd ride it EVERYWHERE! It's even lighter than my AM... haha!

Broken but on the mend
    my socom is it 40 right now and thats with crome molly cranks azonic outlaw wheels and not running tubeless. so 42 for a v10c seems pretty heavy considering i am running my bike in the heaviest setup possible. but 30.5 for a dh bike seems real light. i know alot of world cup riders are near that but they are putting a new set of rims on after 2 runs. we have all seen gee blow up rims on the wc the year. i think for the non pro mans dh build 37 to 40 is doing really well for a well built dh bike that will last a season

Come at me bro.
    i saw the thread title, and was about to post that guy's bike setup. lol

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    My bike weighs 42.7 lbs. Then I saw this on the SC forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/v1...ss-715887.html

30.5 lbs for a real DH build! I wonder if anyone else has a similar build. If I had this bike, I'd ride it EVERYWHERE! It's even lighter than my AM... haha!
    V10 Carbon and 30 pound build...I call bullshiat ...I can see 34 or 35 with airshock...no way 30

he has got carbon XC rims and both weigh 1531 plus tires (HR 1280 and 1280) that equals 4091 without rotors and cassett....9 pounds (figure 11 and a half with tubes, rotors and cassett..frame weighs 8.6 with air shock....fork 6.5 pounds...there is 26 pounds

now add cranks, shifters, derailers, handlebars, headset, bottom bracket, brakes, brake levers, seat, seat post, seat post collar, grips, stem....

great build but bs on 30 pounds
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 08-25-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Come at me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    V10 Carbon and 30 pound build...I call bullshiat unless XC rims and parts...I can see 34 or 35 with airshock...no way 30

most dh rims with tires, cassetts and rotors are 13 (pair), frame 8...pedals a pound and a half, brakes 3 pounds...lite fork 6.....saddle, shifter, bars, stem...come on no way

my Intense M-9 weighs 38pounds 15 oz...just under 39

that guy is running CF 1500g rims, extra light tubes, RS worldcup/vivid air, etc.

everything is as light as light comes on that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Saw on Vital that Peat's race bike from Val Di Sole, the full carbon one, weighs in at 34lbs down from the 37lbs. Both bikes with coil shocks.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by drastic. View Post
    that guy is running CF 1500g rims, extra light tubes, RS worldcup/vivid air, etc.

everything is as light as light comes on that bike.
    recheck my calculations i just posted....no way
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Look at the time!
    That's not a calculation, that's a guess-timate at best.
    The wheels are tubeless, his cassette weighs next to nothing, those cranks are 480g INCLUDING BB.
    Trust me, this guy has built some bling-tastic bikes before, and if he says that bike is 13.86kg, then it is. You wouldn't pump 10 grand + into a bike and then lie about a couple of pounds for some internet-fame.

V10 Carbon and 30 pound build...I call bullshiat ...I can see 34 or 35 with airshock...no way 30

he has got carbon XC rims and both weigh 1531 plus tires (HR 1280 and 1280) that equals 4091 without rotors and cassett....9 pounds (figure 11 and a half with tubes, rotors and cassett..frame weighs 8.6 with air shock....fork 6.5 pounds...there is 26 pounds

now add cranks, shifters, derailers, handlebars, headset, bottom bracket, brakes, brake levers, seat, seat post, seat post collar, grips, stem....

wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the full carbon thing Christiaan made- hes from holland.

the weight is real, but he has used things i wouldnt on a full on DH rig, among those the wheels - tune Hubs and enve AM rims the wheels are super light but durability ? then there is the tires, those are Exo minions he has on not dual play- thats also 2 lbs down.

im guessing if i throw the same stuff on my summum, it'll be just as or lighter. but its sitting at 36.5lbs now with burgtech hubs/823's and Dual ply minions.

btw, im not saying his setup isnt working for him, but i would ruin those tune hubs in a day. easy

Moose Member
    my bike is about the 45lbs mark.... did i win?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    That's not a calculation, that's a guess-timate at best.
    The wheels are tubeless, his cassette weighs next to nothing, those cranks are 480g INCLUDING BB.
    Trust me, this guy has built some bling-tastic bikes before, and if he says that bike is 13.86kg, then it is. You wouldn't pump 10 grand + into a bike and then lie about a couple of pounds for some internet-fame.
    impressive would love to see it

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My ONE is 34lbs 10z with steel spring...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's got the lightest DH build?-100_1600a.jpg  

2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

2010 Glory custom FR
    Christiaan's bike's amazing The on; thing he's missing is CF rear triangle and CCDB Air shock

My Glory with RC4 Ti and Totem SA, light wheels, Havoc Carbon bar and Minions 2,5 EXO 3C, which seem to hold quite well in mountains is about 15kg (33,05lbs).
    I will shave another 250g by switching Totem SA for 2012 Fox 180 Float next year. And maybe another 200g by replacing RC4 Ti with CCBD Air if it gets good rates.
    So, my may rich 14,5kg (32lbs) mark...
    BUT, it's not a bike for shredding ;> It's tough enough for me, though
    Last edited by frango; 08-26-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    pozdro
    frango

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    A guy on Ridemonkey built a Trek Session 88 to 29.76lbs or something ridiculous.... (He was running dual ply tires as well)

EDIT:

Thread:
    29.76 lbs Trek Session 88 - Ridemonkey.com
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    this thread should be called, "hey, look at me."

and i wouldnt call that V10c a "real" DH build. it has AM rims and extra light tubes.

mtbr member

The crank is only 460 grams, and everything else is pretty light ..etc I say it can be around 30 - 34 pounds. Hopefully we can get a picture of the bike on a scale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    this thread should be called, "hey, look at me."

and i wouldnt call that V10c a "real" DH build. it has AM rims and extra light tubes.
    Really? How is that? It's not even my bike.

Actually, I did a search before starting the thread because I want to find out if there was a thread in the past with lightweight DH builds (including the actual weight). Didn't find any (must have done the wrong search keys) so I started this one instead.

Yeah, carbon lightweight rims seem to be pushing it but that's his choice. Betcha he can run them hard downhill anyway (combined with smooth riding, good suspension setting, lighter bike). And I dunno, but I'm running 100 gram tubes on dual and single ply tires and they seem fine (and yes, I ride gnarly trails, just not as fast as you). Pinch flats are a function of tire pressure, to me anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I ran this setup for a weekend of DH racing last season after braking my real DH bike

I think it was around 32lb. It was a bit scary but handled better then had expected.

mtbr member
    * His wheels are not tubeless, he's running lightweight XC tubes on Maxxis Minion EXO tyres (about 860gr).
    * Tune hubs are used by Markus Klausman on the world cups
    * the Syndicate team is running the same rims (but on Chris King hubs)

I would'nt say it is a reliable setup on the long run, but it is freaking light..

and i wouldnt call that V10c a "real" DH build. it has AM rims and extra light tubes
    So, is Sam Hill's bike not a 'proper' DH bike?
    He's also running a AM wheelset (DT Swiss 1750).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ill say it again, tune hubs are absolutely useless in DH.

they are light.. i dont care if klausman uses them, they give him new ones nonstop.

Every tune hub owner ive ever met, has said it was a mistake- granted its only 5 .. but 5 out of 5 owners saying they regret getting a super expensive hub, is a failure product.

And the Exo tires, ive run them myself, they are amazing for light DH, but come real DH with a few large rocks, and they go pop.

What Christiaan did with that V10-C is amazing, so many nice bits on etc. but this total build - i would not trust riding that combo of things down, lets just raise the bar since its such a nice build regardless, champery.

Tires and tune hubs are just not up for that kinda punishment, the rest is ok with me though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My understanding is the WC riders are on "proto" ENVE DH rims, not AM rims. The AM rims are kinda like running the carbon (much stiffer) version of Flow's, which yeah they will last a little while for DH, especially if you are light. Of course wrecking $2000 wheels to save that amount of weight seems silly to me. Must be nice having unlimited budget and friends that don't ditch you when your bike keeps breaking

Not sure I'd trust the cranks either. I think the name is there to imply what part of your body will break first

This coming from a guy who does ride some rather light and unusual long travel bikes, but my focus is to have zero on trail failures, get me UP-hill as fast as possible, and have as much usable travel as possible for the down. I love light bikes as long as they can truly handle the abuse I give them. A bike that ever fails on trail...well it fails IMHO.

mtbr member

2011 Session 88

36.06 but I have since put my Durace 7700 Cassette back on and Magura MT8 brakes are enroute so I will drop to below 35 with the changes.....Great thing is the lift never ever complains about how heavy my bikes are anyways, but coming from a 40lb. bike I did notice the difference last week at the local DH spot Horn's Hill, or maybe I didn't and it that whole Mind believes what it wants to believe crap.....regardless I love this steed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's got the lightest DH build?-trek-3606-bike-scale.jpg  

Who's got the lightest DH build?-trek-3606-scale.jpg  

Who's got the lightest DH build?-trek-2011-88.jpg  

mtbr member
    I would wreck the rimes, and tires on that thing. It is fine if you ride where there are no rocks. I say the high 30's are fine 36-40 LBS is 100% decent weight. Only one bike I have tested has been under the 40LB mark and it was a MD all others were LG frames. There is a 34 LBS TR450 floating around the internet somewhere. That is pretty light for a TR!!!

mtbr member
    ianjenn,
    are you referring to the trek or the 29lb bike listed at the TOP?
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedHito View Post
    ianjenn,
    are you referring to the trek or the 29lb bike listed at the TOP?
    Joe
    The STANS on the Trek, not sure about the Enve whats MSRP like $400 a rim? Thats a whole wheel.....alot of coin. Not sure but I hammer wheels and will ride down on flats if they happen so!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    The STANS on the Trek, not sure about the Enve whats MSRP like $400 a rim? Thats a whole wheel.....alot of coin. Not sure but I hammer wheels and will ride down on flats if they happen so!
    1st regardless of weight that's a really stud build.

Now to rims yeah there's no way those rims would hold. I just got done pulling 9 of 12 dents with 2 cracks out of my 721 (than God for a crescent wrench ) and replaced a dt600 due to a hole through the center of the rim from impact.
    Not too mention the cemetery full of dead rims.

Good luck though and hell of a build.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think you have to find that balance between lightweight and durable. I just don't see a DH bike weighing 30-31 lbs holding up over a season. I guess if you don't mind folding parts and replacing them every few rides it will work, but who wants that? Seems to me that 34-35 lbs is a realistic weight for a DH bike that actually holds up over time.

Look at the time!
    Th combination of lightweight tubes, ultralight rims AND single ply tires doesn't add up. Other than that the V10 seems reasonable.

Dual ply Minions would add just under 2lbs or about 800g to the total weight, resulting in a 32.5 lbs or 14.7kg DH bike that is actually race-able.

In my experience, its mainly the tires that provide pinch-flat protection, the light tubes are not a problem.
    Stronger tires will also make those rims last a bit longer.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    There is a 34 LBS TR450 floating around the internet somewhere. That is pretty light for a TR!!!
    Mine is 35.05 LBS.
    I just ordered Descendant cranks, and then i am stopping.
    More weight savings are too heavy on the wallet

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    impressive would love to see it

There you go, no BS, sorry dude, it turned out lighter then I was expecting. Still need to cut the hoses, shifter cable and waiting on my Easton Ec90 seatpost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _alain_ View Post
    Mine is 35.05 LBS.

SWEET TR MAN!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post

There you go, no BS, sorry dude, it turned out lighter then I was expecting. Still need to cut the hoses, shifter cable and waiting on my Easton Ec90 seatpost
    29.62 lbs... you just beat the Session by a hair!

Christiaan, that is pretty impressive and I am sure you spent a lot of time, money and research to get the bike to that weight. Good job.

Of course, we all have our own opinions of that build but at the end of the day, you're the one riding it and I am sure you will have fun doing so, whoever way you'll ride it.

I personally am envious and will not hesitate to steal it from you the first time you look away... haha!

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by _alain_ View Post
    Mine is 35.05 LBS.

Sick bike

Here is another one (and the one i think he was talking about)

2011 Transition TR450 34.58lbs!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    [IMG]http://fstatic1.mtb-

wow...under 14 pounds....You got me...I am a believer

Honestly nice build....I am jealous because I coudn't ride it...I would break that thing fast at 215 pounds

mtbr member
    sorry bro, but thats in kg

13.45 kg = 19.7 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Other Player View Post

13.45 kg = 19.7 lbs
    I think he was joking.

mtbr member

doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    I think he was joking.
    I know, plus I messed up on the weight, its 29.7 lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Other Player View Post

13.45 kg = 19.7 lbs
    Math should not be an elective.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.