who uses crank bros. mallet pedals?- Mtbr.com
    Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004

who uses crank bros. mallet pedals?

How do you like them? are they easy to clip and unclip? I've heard 2 different stories so i'm kinda confused.
    "We must learn to live together as brothers, or perish together as fools."
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by markseelos805
    How do you like them? are they easy to clip and unclip? I've heard 2 different stories so i'm kinda confused.
    I use them for DH racing, and absolutely love 'em. Slightly harder to get into than Shimano's DH clipless (646, etc), but much easier to get out of. Lots of nice happy float. *Only* issue is that you can't pull straight up out of the pedals like you can on shimano. With shimanos if you crash the force will yank the cleats out of the pedals, but with these your bike will come with you. Just an FYI, has only happened once in an OTB crash, but is something to think about.

Woohooo! Moderator

I've had them for 1.5 years

They are very easy to clip in and clip out for me, but I have gone through 3 sets of cleats in a year and a half. I end up hiking a fair bit and my old shoes (Vans) didn't have much tread protecting the cleats so they got scraped up quite a bit. I blamed this on how fast I burned through cleats.

I recently replaced my shoes and bought a fourth set of cleats and I find that I'm still frequently clipping out unexpectedly so I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the pedals themselves--either that the spring tension has loosened with use or that the rods that hold the cleats have worn down. I did not have this problem when the pedals were new. Anyone else have problems like this?

Overall, I have been happy with the pedals. They are easy to get into, work great in muddy conditions and are easy to get out of when I need to. If it wasn't for the fact that I come out TOO EASILY when I <i>don't</i> want to, I would give them 2 enthusiastic thumbs up, but honestly I'm thinking about dumping them and going back to Shimano if I can't get figure something out to increase tension.
    Last edited by kristian; 06-29-2005 at 09:45 AM.

Stray Bullet

I have them and love them. They are very easy to get in an out of. At the moment I am using them Sidi Dominator 5's. With previous pair of shoes, Dominator 4's I had a lot of trouble getting clipped in. It turned out the sole was hitting the pedal and not allowing the cleat to complete clip in. I put the provided shims under the cleats and then they worked great.

Scott

mtbr member

I have them also

I also have the Candies and the eggs on diferent bikes. one set of mallets on the hardtail, one set of candies on the fs and the eggs on road bikes.

I use sidi Doms and they shims and get in and out of the clips easily. The mallets allow me to use vans and 5-10's to ride around goofing off and use the clips to deliver more power. The mallets help with getting started in weird situations as you dont have to hit the clip just right. I have no problems getting in and out of the pedals in an emergency. I did try a pair of Oakley shoes and was clipped in ***rigidly*** so much so that it was a major fight to unclip. Sent those shoes back.

The clips will wear in after a few rides to be easier to get in and out, and i like the float. I have not had the pleasure of endoing and taking the bike with me - yet. YMMV. I like them. all 10 thumbs up.

BTW, they are not the same as other platform pedals. I have azonic a-frames on my p2, and they are far better pedals than the mallets. but that is a different application than what i use my mallets for.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    They are very easy to clip in and clip out for me, but I have gone through 3 sets of cleats in a year and a half. I end up hiking a fair bit and my old shoes (Vans) didn't have much tread protecting the cleats so they got scraped up quite a bit. I blamed this on how fast I burned through cleats.

I recently replaced my shoes and bought a fourth set of cleats and I find that I'm still frequently clipping out unexpectedly so I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the pedals themselves--either that the spring tension has loosened with use or that the rods that hold the cleats have worn down. I did not have this problem when the pedals were new. Anyone else have problems like this?

Overall, I have been happy with the pedals. They are easy to get into, work great in muddy conditions and are easy to get out of when I need to. If it wasn't for the fact that I come out TOO EASILY when I <i>don't</i> want to, I would give them 2 enthusiastic thumbs up, but honestly I'm thinking about dumping them and going back to Shimano if I can't get figure something out to increase tension.
    Hiking does wear down the cleats, which are brass and softer than shimano cleats. However, hiking will wear down any cleats, eggbeater cleats just seem to go a little faster.

I have the regular eggbeaters, and have been contemplating getting a set of Mallets for a while. However, I have started to get the too-easy to unclip problem (after a couple of years). Cleat replacement helped, but I still wish there was a way to make them just a little bit tighter, like they used to be. It seems that I pop one foot out while in the air every now and then (happened to me when I was on SPDs too), my own screw up, but it always scares the bejeezus out of me and I end up wishing that I could make it just a little more difficult to get out. I love running the eggbeaters on my XC rig, but I don't know if I would rather have something with spring adjustment for DH.

If you're having trouble getting out, check the sole of your shoe while it's clipped into the pedal. If you're getting interference, strategically shave rubber off.

Cynical Bystander
    I LOVE mine. When I first got them I had issues with being able to clip in regularily but after doing some xc riding on them (what I usually use them for) they're all nice and perfect. Its rare that it'll take more than half a second or so to clip in and getting out is instantaneous. The large platform is very nice as well. The only thing I dont like, like Kristian said is that the cleats seem quite soft, I haven't had to replace mine yet but they're very scratched/dinged up.

Also, as badlander said, when you get them at first they'll be stiff and will not feel ideal as far as rapid getting in and out, but after you use them for a few weeks they break in and are awesome.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    Hiking does wear down the cleats, which are brass and softer than shimano cleats. However, hiking will wear down any cleats, eggbeater cleats just seem to go a little faster.

I have the regular eggbeaters, and have been contemplating getting a set of Mallets for a while. However, I have started to get the too-easy to unclip problem (after a couple of years). Cleat replacement helped, but I still wish there was a way to make them just a little bit tighter, like they used to be. It seems that I pop one foot out while in the air every now and then (happened to me when I was on SPDs too), my own screw up, but it always scares the bejeezus out of me and I end up wishing that I could make it just a little more difficult to get out. I love running the eggbeaters on my XC rig, but I don't know if I would rather have something with spring adjustment for DH.

If you're having trouble getting out, check the sole of your shoe while it's clipped into the pedal. If you're getting interference, strategically shave rubber off.
    Put the cleat with the 2 dots on the left shoe. This increases the angle required for cleat release. Should reduce the unintended releases.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Woohooo! Moderator

Theoretically yes...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Put the cleat with the 2 dots on the left shoe. This increases the angle required for cleat release. Should reduce the unintended releases.
    ...but not in my case. I am "duck footed" meaning my toes point out like a duck's rather than straight ahead when I'm standing (there is probably a medical term for this but I don't know what it is). I don't have the range of motion to unclip by twisting both my heals away from the bike. Instead, I unclip by twisting both heals to the right so my left foot (which is where I have 85% of my unintentional clip-outs) is already twisting in the 20 degree release direction.

I only have done one ride with the new (4th set) of cleats so far and I plan on playing around with cleat angle tonight and see if I can do anything to reduce the clip-out. The weird thing is that I never had any problems when the pedals were new, or after I replaced the cleats for the first time so I'm thinking that something has worn on the pedals themselves. If I can't figure anything out on my own, I'll contact Crank Bros and see if they have any advice--I really don't want to go back to Shimano pedals...

Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004

Good job! Thanks for all the responses!

I'm feeling saucy... i think I'll buy them.
    Peace
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004

Good job! hmmmm

how much are new cleats?
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Stand back

bent spindles

how much are new cleats?
    Anyone else notice bent spindles on their pedals? I'm not a clyde (190) and have noticed the left spindle on my mallets is bent so badly the eggbeater inside doesn't spin freely anymore. After looking at my various pedals, I think I've been all of them, and fairly rapidly in the case of my Azonic Aframes. Am I a monster, or are everyone's spindles bending? I'm going to look into replacement spindles for the mallets. Mine have almost a year on them, and still look pretty good...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Woohooo! Moderator
    how much are new cleats?
    $17.99 at the LBS. A lot of the reason I have gone through so many is the fact that I was using shoes with no tread protecting the cleat so the cleat was the first point of contact with the ground. Also, between botched technical climbs and taking pictures, I end up walking a lot.

I did my second ride with the new cleats last night after twisting my left cleat angle slightly. I didn't have any problems with coming out accidentally so hopefully my problem was one of cleat position not spring tention...