who pedals to the trail- Mtbr.com
    Will to Win

who pedals to the trail

just curious, if you pedal to your local trail, im not talking about driving or shuttle, for how long do you pedal?

i can shuttle my local Dh but pedaling from my house to the trail it takes me about an hour and half. the Dh run takes me around 20 minutes to complete and some 40 minute pedaling back up to do the Dh run again...

and then my friends and i just get on the highway on our bikes... haha probably the best part because its very steep down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Are you saying you ride a DH bike on roads for 1 1/2 hours to get to your riding spot? Ever think of making friends with someone with a car?

Will to Win
    not a Dh bike. my FR bike should be getting here in around two weeks ( I dont live in the united states) so im currently riding a XC bike ( i know it sucks, but its what i have right now). sometimes instead of shuttling we preffer to pedal ( sweat off that beer belly)

btw, i DO jump, huck, drop my Xc bike... ive ridden the sh/t out of it.

mtbr member
    I pedal for 40 minutes. Its uphill but not steep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey man, you gotta do what you gotta do. Thats some devotion. Have fun with the new bike, most of us started out on a beater XC bike, at least I know I did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ride to rides, makes sense i think :P

Is flexy
    Haha... I've stopped any pedaling to the trail the day I got my license and that was 6 years ago... Maybe that is why I'm fat now
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Have fun with the new bike, most of us started out on a beater XC bike, at least I know I did.
    word

anyway this upcoming season i might pedal along the bike path from dillon to keystone (my familys got a condo in dillon), but thats like 6 miles i think. so ya

moaaar shimz
    I pedal to the top of the downhill (2 hours) or half way to a second downhill run (1 hour) and then I shuttle.

You Are What You Is
    I think it's great if you pedal to the trailhead, and I've done it a few times. But life gets so damn busy with a wife, two kids, and a job that every minute counts. I drive to the trailhead so I can get more "quality" riding time, which means on dirt, not the road.

mtbr member
    my local jumps and downhill trails are 15 minutes away.to get to the top of the run it takes about a half an hour and takes matbe 5-10 minutes to get down. I have a 2006 coiler deluxe so it is ok at pedaling but even better at downhill. I am extremely lucky to live 15 minutes away from some of the best jumps and downhill trails.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Takes me about 15-20 to get to the bottom of my local hill, plus another 15-20 to walk to the top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemarine5
    word

anyway this upcoming season i might pedal along the bike path from dillon to keystone (my familys got a condo in dillon), but thats like 6 miles i think. so ya
    Now thats just crazy talk! Hope the bus for free and save your energy for the trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I drive to the trail head, but I pedal up my trails.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    i quit pedaling when i bought a DH bike!

NICE KID...NICE

Pedaling sucks but...

Dont be afraid to pedal. And yeah... I drive to my spots.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

Glad to Be Alive
    usually we push up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

EastBaySteez
    I drive to the trail. Ride to the top (or walk)
    I never rode to the trail. Who wants to ride a 45 lb FR bike 4 miles to a DH trail not me!
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I ride about 20 miles to some of the local trails. Most of my riding can't be ridden to though.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    It's 105kms to Bromont. So I drive
    Any cool local trails are really short and or no bikes allowed. Damn cops on bikes.

JBinKC
    Wow, you guys are lucky to live so close to trails. The nearest DH trail / DJ park is a 3 hour drive from me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    Now thats just crazy talk! Hope the bus for free and save your energy for the trails
    haha lol

but is that really that long on like a flat, paved bike path? never done it before lol. any of you guys go to keystone?

Freetard.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemarine5

Haha, maybe on an XC bike, but at that altitude even the minor climbs will kill you, especially on a DH/FR beast. Hop the bus for free, and save your energy for the trails.
    PS might see you there, my family has a condo over in Breckenridge.

Freetard.
    It's a half an hour to the top of Solstice on my XC bike, a little longer on my yeti . It's worth every minute, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    my local trail is 2km up and 1.5 km back down...........it takes too long to walk up the hill but im still on my 'first' (xc) bike..........buying a UMF freddy 1 '07 as soon as the seller gets back to me

mtbr member
    yep the altitude can be a killer. Could you do it? sure but why on a dh bike? I ride Keystone about 4 times a week. Looks like I will be up in Summit County this summer so maybe more!

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    i ride the asphalt sections to the trailhead, then half-pedal half-push my way to the top.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    I prefer to ride to the trails to be honest.
    I feel guilty when I load up the car and drive, unless its really far away. Also...any time on the bike is good and its a nice warm up before I hit the trail.

Lately I've been really slacking on this, but I'm hoping to start practicing what I preach again soon.

This goes for DH bikes, trail bikes, whatever.

mtbr member
    i ride my bike to the trail and around town you got to work with what you got i bought a downhill bike to ride all the time not to look at it in my rear view mirror

Still a child inside...
    If i want to get to my fav. trails,
    i have to hop on a f*ckin bus and travel an hour.
    I'm dreaming to buy a car just to get there...

The Beaver
    about half of the time, I go to school at Brevard College and pisgah is only a few minutes ride down the bike path... but mostly I drive.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Will to Win
    anyway, the best ride is the ride down, it doesnt matter how you get to it! we're all different people.

honestly, i preffer to pedal to the trails, but thats only able during weekends.

Capricious youth...
    I used to do full blown XC rides with my friends on my 44lb. 7point. They were riding Ellsworth Moments, light weight SC Bullits, and Cannondale Prophets.

I just kept pedaling and pretended I didn't know any better.

Longest ride to the top of any trail that I've done... was a solid 1 hour and 10 minute ride. Well worth it though.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    yep the altitude can be a killer. Could you do it? sure but why on a dh bike? I ride Keystone about 4 times a week. Looks like I will be up in Summit County this summer so maybe more!
    hadnt thought about the altitude... good point. Does anyone know if the bike racks on the summit stage (the buses that run through summit) fit DH bikes easily?
    ya i only rode keystone on weekends last year, but this year im gonna be in summit a lot so i hope to get in like 4 days a week. its gonna be sick cant wait, too bad its winter....

mtbr member
    i pedal to mine to about half hour,then its a minute run down the hill and 10 minutes to push it back up,but we take a packed lunch and drinks and make a day of it.

gonna start taking some tools to modify the trail to our liking though.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I prefer to ride to the trails to be honest.
    I feel guilty when I load up the car and drive, unless its really far away. Also...any time on the bike is good and its a nice warm up before I hit the trail.

Lately I've been really slacking on this, but I'm hoping to start practicing what I preach again soon.

This goes for DH bikes, trail bikes, whatever.

Does this mean we are going to do the 40 mile climb out of Moab up to the Whole Enchilada before we ride it?

mtbr member
    pedaling is the way to go

mtbr member
    if you guys dont want to pedel get a motocross bike its called a pedal bike / push bike / cycle hence the pedeling part get out and ride any way but why take the car if its only half hour away.. lol
    2008 Spesh P.1, Hope mono M4's
    Kona CoilAir
    Marin ??
    Prev
    MountainCycle SanAndreas
    Orange MsIsle
    Orange o2

Will to Win

???

Quote Originally Posted by spzero
    if you guys dont want to pedel get a motocross bike its called a pedal bike / push bike / cycle hence the pedeling part get out and ride any way but why take the car if its only half hour away.. lol
    Motocross bike...? how the F^ck do you carry your bicycle on a MX?

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I drive to the trails, but treat my DH/FR bike as an XC. Helps me stay in shape to pedal a 47 pound bike everywhere.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albertomannil
    Motocross bike...? how the F^ck do you carry your bicycle on a MX?

I mean you might as well sell your mtb and by a motoX bike if you dont wana pedal let the engine pedal for ya'
    2008 Spesh P.1, Hope mono M4's
    Kona CoilAir
    Marin ??
    Prev
    MountainCycle SanAndreas
    Orange MsIsle
    Orange o2

Riding with...
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Takes me about 15-20 to get to the bottom of my local hill, plus another 15-20 to walk to the top.
    so are you telling me you ride downhill at walking speed? because if its taking you the same time to ride down that it is to walk up....the math doesnt add up
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    so are you telling me you ride downhill at walking speed? because if its taking you the same time to ride down that it is to walk up....the math doesnt add up
    I ride on asphalt to the bottom of the mountain from my house, which takes about 15-20 min, and then take another 15-20 min to walk/ride to the top of that mountain. I then proceed to ride down that mountain, which takes about 5-10 min.

Members who have read this thread: 0