Whizzler- Mtbr.com

Thread: Whizzler

mtbr member

Whizzler

soooo...trying to do some long range planning for a first trip to Whistler this summer with family members scattered across the states. In the expert experience of all those here....what is the earliest Whizz usually opens for MTB??? I realize that wX is the limiting factor and there is no hard and fast time...(see my nick? wX = weather )...I'm looking for your best "edumacated" forecasts...and the wealth of climate experience from our northern neighbors. Thanks!
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wXman
    soooo...trying to do some long range planning for a first trip to Whistler this summer with family members scattered across the states. In the expert experience of all those here....what is the earliest Whizz usually opens for MTB??? I realize that wX is the limiting factor and there is no hard and fast time...(see my nick? wX = weather )...I'm looking for your best "edumacated" forecasts...and the wealth of climate experience from our northern neighbors. Thanks!

Lower section of the mountain is usually open in May, Upper section of the mountain opened in mid June (was the first year for upper.....). Be warned that anytime before mid June is usually a bit wet n mucky.........

There's no app for this.

weather...

just be aware it's a temperate rain forest here. So it rains in season a lot. as 006_007 said, after June works best, it's a crap shoot prior to that those of us that live here try our best to look into the future just 1 weekend so we ca ride without the rain, but we have yet to perfect that capability.

Bring rain gear just in case: goggles, jacket, front fender. extra gloves,

Jim

Hollywood

What Jim C Said

I went there in August which we heard was the best time and the first two days was so dry you had a lay off a few feet from the rider in front of you because of all the dust. The next 4 days it rained off and on and I didn't have any rain gear or fenders.Even wet it was a blast though. I wouldn't do the Garbanzo runs when it's wet if your not a local.
    If there is a tree to hit I will find it.
    Thats why they call me
    HOLLYWOOD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can call Whistler and ask for the date the park opens for the summer. Then book travel for a few weeks later. I went the first week of June this year, we had some rain, some sun, and lots o' fun. I think the best time to go is late June/most of July, the rain is usually gone but the trails aren't that ripped up yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper
    I think the best time to go is late June/most of July, the rain is usually gone but the trails aren't that ripped up yet.
    Just use slightly less tire pressure when the trails are ripped

Team
    The Tenney racecourse was 1 foot deep of mud so I'd be used to it!

mtbr member

Don't laugh....this is what I did:

.......I went out and bought the book "The Old Farmers Almanac". You can get it at any bookstore. You wouldn't believe how accurate it is in predicting the weather a year in advance.
    Last November, it predicted last part of July to be dry, and the first part of August fairly wet. So I booked Whistler for the week after Crankworx. It was exactly like it predicted. Very very dry when I got there, then it rained off and on after that. I plan all my bike trips around that book. Check it out, I swear by it.