Whiteface Thursday mini dh series- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whiteface Thursday mini dh series

We are extremely stoked as more and more locals have been ripping up the trails @ Whiteface during the summer, so we are introducing a mini series of downhill races this August. This mini series will consist of 3 downhill races , and will be limited to 20 racers. We will be using the lower 3rd of the Whiteface 5 K Downhill race course for all 3 races, so this should help all who plan on racing the big course on 8-31-08. Registration will be at the mountain only, so be sure to sign up before it’s too late.

Cost is $5.00 per race.
    Dates for the August mini dh series will be:

* 8-14-08 ~ mini dh series # 1

* 8-21-08 ~ mini dh series # 2

* 8-28-08 ~ mini dh series # 3 (series final worth double points!)

* An awards ceremony will be held after the series final and prizes will be awarded to the top 3 finishers in each class.

Other races:

* 8-31-08 ~ 3rd Annual 5 K Downhill (registration will be on Active.com asap)

* 9-14-08 ~ Whiteface cross country race (registration will be on Active.com asap)

More information can be found on www.downhillmike.com
    Last edited by downhill mike; 08-19-2008 at 09:09 AM.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

Glad to Be Alive
    5 bucks is hella cheap.......man you got to do more then 20 riders....and a charge like 20 bucks would still be cheap
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oops I left out a bunch of information:
    This is a small race with not many expenses. I should mention that a 1 day lift ticket is needed to to access lifts $32.00 adult or $20.00 12 & under.The $5.00 is just for registration.
    SMT,
    You coming to our big race? Only 3,000 miles away.

* Each race will start at 2:30 pm on Thursday 8-14, 8-21 & 8-28.
    * Registration is at the mountain only.
    * Registration closes at 1:30 pm the day of each race.
    * Registration costs $5.00.
    * This is a U.S.A.Cycling event and a USAC license, collegiate license, junior license or a 1 day permit will be needed to race. All licenses and permits will be available at Whiteface. Annual adult $60.00, annual youth (10-18) and collegiate $30.00, 1 day permits $5.00.
    * Practice is open form now until 15 minutes before each race.

Please note this will be a short race starting from just above the shuttle bus drop off (approx. 600 feet of vertical). Not sure of the times yet but ut will be a fast course using the lower 1/3rd or fourth of our big course.

This race will also be timed with stop watches by us. This race is to try to get the locals into dh racing and getting some 5 k dh racers to the mountain early to learn part of the course.
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill mike
    SMT,
    You coming to our big race? Only 3,000 miles away.

first off I would love too....trying to get out there next year, second I am as slow as snails right now....need to get back my flow after being off a bike for 7 months....man it is hard when ur old
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Well this sounds like fun and seeing as I just moved to the area why not give it a go. It will be my first ever race so not sure what to expect.

mtbr member
    You should expect a fun race. I just announced this and we have a limit of 20 racers. This will be a small race geared to 1st timers wanting to get into racing.
    Also, don't let Whiteface scare you as this course can be ridden by anyone. 1 jump on single-track (trail # 11) with a nice go around on the right.
    We timed our mechanic today and his time was 1:59.
    Course starts on a ski trail that you can go very fast on. Trail is smooth and you fly!. Then you make a quick turn on the service road for 100 yards or so, and a fun turn into trail # 11. This lower mountain single-track is fast and fun as fun as it gets. 2 parts of single-track on trail 11 to a sprint on some wood chips to the finish.
    The course is 100 % marked now and will be open for practice from 10:00 am tlll 2:15 (15 minutes before the start of the race.

This way you may know if you want to race in our 5 k dh on 8-31-08.
    See ya at the races
    DHM
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member
    I've been to Whiteface a few times in the past so looking forward to it. Will try to be up in the am to practice a bit

mtbr member
    For complete race results:
    http://www.downhillmike.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=88
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member

Pictures from the 1st mini dh race on 8-14-08

We had 13 register last Thursday for our mini dh series. With such short notice we were very pleased with the turn out.
    Our shuttle can take riders to the start or you can use the gondola and ride to the start:

Joe Barnas on the small hip jump near the start:

Simon Theriault:

Francis Theriault:

Max Van Wie:

Joe Barnas:

John Mundo in the single-track:

Jack Van Wie exiting the "Fire Swamp trying to avoid the R.O.U.L.S'.":

Jake Keldong on the sprint to the finish line:

Sorry if we missed any of you but we will try again this Thursday 8-21-08 to get every ones pictures.

See ya at The Face
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member
    Had a blast I'll be back Thur. for sure

Members who have read this thread: 0