White Brother Dh2.0 fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

White Brother Dh2.0 fork

Anyone know about White Brother Dh2.0 fork? How good if compare to Shiver?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    is it going on a rootbeer bullit?

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by kruz
    Anyone know about White Brother Dh2.0 fork? How good if compare to Shiver?
    I hear it's flexy.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member

From what I have heard

The DH2.0 is lighter than the Shiver (by about a pound I think) and has more tuning adjustments. Word is the newer ones are stiffer (they have more bushings) and ride nicely. Supposed to be a good race fork.

Several people over on www.ridemonkey.com are running them and seem very happy with the fork. Do a search on the DH forum over there.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

Glad to Be Alive
    save your dough and get the dependable Shiver
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    I hear it's flexy.

-TS
    Aren't most inverted forks?? Same thing could be said for the Shiver.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Aren't most inverted forks?? Same thing could be said for the Shiver.
    Ever heard of a joke?

-TS

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    save your dough and get the dependable Shiver
    BS.

I have a DH-3 (wich is almost the same thing) and is an amazing fork...I realy give a lot of sh*t to this fork for the last 2 years now and is taking everything w/o a word and still gonna give me at least one more season...
    Go for that DH-2.0...as they said ''the sooner you get it the longer you owne it" (or something like that)

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Ever heard of a joke?

-TS
    Ever heard of helpful information. Now trying to judge between good and bad info, we all have to determine whether people are joking when dispensing info, that should be helpful to the newbs since they don't know you for a hole in the wall. Trying being helpful instead of a comedian.

BTW, most inverted forks are flexy so there was some truth to your original post, that's why I took it serious.

Uhhhhh...
    Ever heard of helpful information. Now trying to judge between good and bad info, we all have to determine whether people are joking when dispensing info, that should be helpful to the newbs since they don't know you for a hole in the wall. Trying being helpful instead of a comedian.

BTW, most inverted forks are flexy so there was some truth to your original post, that's why I took it serious.
    Hahah, mtbr is nothing but n00bs to make fun of.

-TS

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Hahah, mtbr is nothing but n00bs to make fun of.

-TS
    Yeah yeah maybe. Whatever, I'm not going to try interpreting everyone's post to determine the meanings, I'm going to respond how I best see fit. So if your joking and I respond with some useful info, oh well. Have a safe Happy New Year.

Former Noob Herder
    Red isnt acquainted with Ridemonkey's running jokes. And inverts would be termed as maybe twisty, but definitly not flexy.

The DH2.0 isnt that much lighter than the Shiver; it uses a single coil + air assist, a mod that i use on my Shiver to get the weight down. Also the sliders are only 32mm as opposed to the Shivers 35mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    Red isnt acquainted with Ridemonkey's running jokes.
    And I needent be.

Former Noob Herder
    And I needent be.
    this thread suggests otherwise

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    this thread suggests otherwise
    Really! So as a moderator you condone the action of repsonding to posts with useless info? Somehow I'm not surprised, since your one of the guilty party. Seems the god complex suits you.

Oh all most forgot, [email protected]

Former Noob Herder
    Really! So as a moderator you condone the action of repsonding to posts with useless info? Somehow I'm not surprised, since your one of the guilty party. Seems the god complex suits you.

Oh all most forgot, [email protected]

you're developping into a real headcase you know that? i've seen people implode here before, it all looks so familiar....

it's like Pete without the humor...

Now with flavor!!

you're developping into a real headcase you know that? i've seen people implode here before, it all looks so familiar....

Spoken like a true deity...........with lightning bolts..................and the ability to make the sea turn red and stuff.

Hail you.

I am yours.

Anyway, forks............ I've had two WB forks, a DH2 (similar to a DH1.8) and a DH3, (similar to a DH2.0) I liked them quite a bit compared to every other fork that was available at the time, including shivers. They were the closest thing I could find to an avalanche in stiffness but way lighter and much much cheaper. Once the seals broke in (takes a while) they begin to feel as smooth a shiver as long as you keep some sort of lubricating oil in the uppers. They always felt much more precise when steering though really rough stuff. That was my only compliant with and the reason I never bought a shiver the front wheel felt like it was often pointing for breif periods in a direction other than where my bars were turned. The only fork I found that I liked better was the 888 I've got now, only because it twists less than the WB and the stroke is just as smooth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Whai is 'Nitro resevoir'

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Spoken like a true deity...........with lightning bolts..................and the ability to make the sea turn red and stuff.

Anyway, forks............ I've had two WB forks, a DH2 (similar to a DH1.8) and a DH3, (similar to a DH2.0) I liked them quite a bit compared to every other fork that was available at the time, including shivers. They were the closest thing I could find to an avalanche in stiffness but way lighter and much much cheaper. Once the seals broke in (takes a while) they begin to feel as smooth a shiver as long as you keep some sort of lubricating oil in the uppers. They always felt much more precise when steering though really rough stuff. That was my only compliant with and the reason I never bought a shiver the front wheel felt like it was often pointing for breif periods in a direction other than where my bars were turned. The only fork I found that I liked better was the 888 I've got now, only because it twists less than the WB and the stroke is just as smooth.
    What is 'Nitro resevoir'? How does it works? Please show me your fork if possible. Is it a heavy duty fork? I would like to put it on a V10.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

and you continue to be annoying [email protected]

Former Noob Herder
    and you continue to be annoying [email protected]
    hope there arent any towers nearby, knowing how prolific rifles are...

Former Noob Herder
    What is 'Nitro resevoir'? How does it works? Please show me your fork if possible. Is it a heavy duty fork? I would like to put it on a V10.
    its a piggyback reservoir, like rear shocks have, or those Dorado Works forks (or whatever those are). Basically its a closed damping system and the piggyback handles oil displacement and damping valving.

Shivers on the other hand are open bath, so they dont need to handle oil displacement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    its a piggyback reservoir, like rear shocks have, or those Dorado Works forks (or whatever those are). Basically its a closed damping system and the piggyback handles oil displacement and damping valving.

Shivers on the other hand are open bath, so they dont need to handle oil displacement.
    Thank you Zedro. Which system is more effiicient, user friendly and less problem? Any pro rider using WB DH2.0? So, which fork should it get? WB DH2.0 or Shiver? I'm more on FR. What about Dorado MDX Works? Is it going to stop production for yr 2005? Why?

Wu Tang Fa Life *****es
    Thank you Zedro. Which system is more effiicient, user friendly and less problem? Any pro rider using WB DH2.0? So, which fork should it get? WB DH2.0 or Shiver? I'm more on FR. What about Dorado MDX Works? Is it going to stop production for yr 2005? Why?

People will argue that the shiver is more effiecient and it might be, because if you know what you're doing you can rebuild it at home; but then again you can rebuild a 2.0 at home too if you know what you're doing. The WB is more user friendly for sure, sepecially the '05. With a shock pump you can adjust the spring rate. So you can go from wont bottom when nosed off of a 10' drop to flat with a 210lbs rider (from experience) then you let some air out and you have yourself an unbelievably plush race fork. With the WB unlike the shiver I had 2 years ago, each adjustment does something. There is a screw for rebound at top and one for compression at the bottom. Each 1/4 turn you could feel a definate difference, something my shiver took a few turns to do. The nitro reservior on the 2.0 is to adjust bottom out resistance. At 50psi the fork is near linear, at 130psi there is a smooth but extreme progression evident. The '05 has the air assist feature and combined with the nitro in the spring leg, the fork can be set up very progressive if you want it to. The feel of the fork is near that of an avalanche, it is just plain buttery smooth. Another good thing about the new 2.0 is EVERYTHING is sealed up. The entire springstack was re-designed for this year. My '04 had the traditional spring stack throughout the whole left leg. The new '05 has the entire spring stack sealed off by o-rings and grease seals in the stanchion, just like the damper is. I had no problems at all with dust or dirt getting in on the inside last year, and this new fork will ensure that it will be near impossible to get your springstack dirty. The '05 also has longer stanchions than my '04 did. There is 8.5" of overlap, which means my '05 2.0 tied a friends 888 in the put it between your legs and twist test. The fork in all is super stiff 4 bushings per leg, the 8.5" of stanchion overlap, as well as the knurled legs at contact areas with the crowns make it probably the stiffest inverted fork out there. It is also a bit over a pound lighter than a shiver (7.75lbs) but it stiffer and stronger. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

As for the Dorado X-works they couldnt get the SPV system right, and they will not be producing them for '05

And for your final question Lance Canfield has been beating the crap out of 2.0s for 3 years now at the Redbull Rampage and such.

go big or go home
    ive heard split opinions on white bros. forks....id say find someone if you can and ride theres and see how it is...

Now with flavor!!
    Pretty much what zEdro said. WB forks have a spring in one leg, damper in the other. Think of the damper leg like a fox vanilla rc rear shock. Piggy back takes the oil displaced by the shaft and keeps pressure on the damper fluid to keep it from bubbling and adding some degree of progressiveness. Nitrogen is just cleaner and easier to get dry so there's no moisture in your gas chamber. Regular air should be fine....especially if you live in a dry area (I do).

As far as what curb hucker said (hi don) keep in mind that he gets the hookup from white brothers............ and is therefore thier b!tch, rolling on his back purring, pawing ever so playfully at the camera but never forgetting his place, subservient to his master, required to perch himself upon his knees, and arch his back, willfully presenting whenever instructed to do so.

That being said, nothing is easier to work on than a pre 888 marzocchi. They are the simplest devices to gut ever created for the front end of mountain bikes.......except for the little bells that go on handlebars, those are pretty easy to work on too. White Brothers..I love'em but they do take some more know how.

650 yay area

As far as what curb hucker said (hi don) keep in mind that he gets the hookup from white brothers............ and is therefore thier b!tch, rolling on his back purring, pawing ever so playfully at the camera but never forgetting his place, subservient to his master, required to perch himself upon his knees, and arch his back, willfully presenting whenever instructed to do so.
    Its the sad truth. What a ****.

Wu Tang Fa Life *****es
    Stuff.

Thats a nice way to put it Kevin

Check out my response to it in the new respect thread on RM

Canfield Brothers

hangin

CurbHucker - Sorry to leave ya hangin.
    The NEW WB 2.0 is just like you discribed. 8.5 in overlap (more than any fork I know of, can anyone dispute that?) 4 bushings per leg. Damper has increased oil volume w/ piggy back compression adjuster/progression adjustment, rebound adjuster. Air assisted dual spring leg and everything is a sealed system and the seals are only for wiping dirt away, not used to seal oil in. Has knerled legs for the triple clamps to resist twisting. I've had mine, the prototype, for 3 seasons and never had it twist, riding or in a crash. Including Red Bull Rampage, Bike mags crash of the year.
    WB does not have a budget to pay pro riders. Alot of pro riders started on WB and then got payed by big guys. I know we have the best DH fork for what is important to me. Great strength to weight ratio. Precise steering. Extremely tunable and easy to adjust externally. Good progression with the ability to add or remove progression for race or huck. I couldn't be happier with mine. Best fork I've ever had including two differnt Avys.
    I highly recommend this fork to anyone that rides hard.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    I highly recommend this fork to anyone that rides hard.
    Lance, your endorsment means something. Thanks.
    I ride WB on my XC bikes because of another guy, Mike Curiak, who jumped on MTBR and just laid it out like you did for us.
    Instead of hucking though, he rides his bike for 15 days, self-supported across the Great Divide. He said his WB was 1 of 2 components on his bike that didn't give him problems.
    (that said, you probably know the guy, come to think of it...)
    Sold.

Canfield Brothers

Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Lance, your endorsment means something. Thanks.
    I ride WB on my XC bikes because of another guy, Mike Curiak, who jumped on MTBR and just laid it out like you did for us.
    Instead of hucking though, he rides his bike for 15 days, self-supported across the Great Divide. He said his WB was 1 of 2 components on his bike that didn't give him problems.
    (that said, you probably know the guy, come to think of it...)
    Sold.
    I do know Mike. Good guy and a amazing rider. We where happy to see him come back from the Divide race without a fork issue. Rain, snow, mud, must have sucked, at least it would have if I was there. Glad I wasen't. Anyway I hope you get a chance to try the new DH 2.0. Post your thoughts if you do. Thanks
    Lance

hands up who wants to die
    ignore this
    Last edited by rpet; 01-05-2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: question answered

Now with flavor!!
    Lance: Couple of questions.......

When is the DHR fork going to exist for us average Joes? I've got a bike I climb on just aching for one of those things. BTI has them listed but not in stock yet.

The ONLY reason I got rid of my DH3 was because of the one inherent weakness of inverteds.....the twist. I got it rebuilt with newer bushings used in the DH2.0 but the newer 05 forks will be stiffer yet? I've got a 888 on my bike now that steers with significantly less wandering in rocks and drifting than the DH3. But in my mind, the WB forks are superior pieces of work and I'd have no reservations about going back to one IF they could approach the steering precision of one of the newer non inverted forks. I've ridden a DH2.0 from 04 and there's no question it twisted/flexed more than my 888. Are you saying this has been changed?...............and when will they be around so that I can try one out?

Canfield Brothers

xxx

Lance: Couple of questions.......

When is the DHR fork going to exist for us average Joes? I've got a bike I climb on just aching for one of those things. BTI has them listed but not in stock yet.

The ONLY reason I got rid of my DH3 was because of the one inherent weakness of inverteds.....the twist. I got it rebuilt with newer bushings used in the DH2.0 but the newer 05 forks will be stiffer yet? I've got a 888 on my bike now that steers with significantly less wandering in rocks and drifting than the DH3. But in my mind, the WB forks are superior pieces of work and I'd have no reservations about going back to one IF they could approach the steering precision of one of the newer non inverted forks. I've ridden a DH2.0 from 04 and there's no question it twisted/flexed more than my 888. Are you saying this has been changed?...............and when will they be around so that I can try one out?
    Yes the 05 is a entirely different fork than 04.
    The 04 has 4.5" overlap and the new 2.0 has 8.5" overlap. It is a huge difference is stiffness and reduces sideload induced stiction. I would put it up against most conventional forks. Obviously there are a few forks out there that are stiffer, Monster for one but I haven't had a twist related issue, riding, crashing, hucking, in the last 3 years. I jumped on my buddys older 2.0 and crashed twice in one run because I was so used to having such a precise steering fork, I could feel the flex any time I turned hard or hit the brakes.
    IMHO some flex in a fork is good, kinda helps when you don't steer exactly where you need to and the fork can follow the "rut" without trying to climb out. I had that problem with a Mr. Dirt fork, just too stiff. But having precise steering and trust in the forks ability to not twist or wrapup in a turn and during braking is critical.

I'm extremely sensitive to flex and the WB 2.0 is the best balance I've tried.

Canfield Brothers
    The DHR is not scheduled for release yet. I don't know when it will be. Sorry

Now with flavor!!
    The DHR is not scheduled for release yet. I don't know when it will be. Sorry
    F#%!!!

Thanks for the numbers on overlap between the two. Ever since the thicker (3 bolt) crowns came out, I never had a leg twist on of the WB inverteds, they're plently solid. When I say twist, I was more referring to the wheel pointing in a different direction from the stem as a result of flex in the fork.

I'm looking foward to checking out one of these new beasts. Maybe that kid from chicago will let me try his out next summer.

Former Noob Herder
    IMHO some flex in a fork is good, kinda helps when you don't steer exactly where you need to and the fork can follow the "rut" without trying to climb out.
    thats what i found with the 888 vs my Shiver for the short trial run i had with it. The 888 felt alot more demanding to keep in line through the bobbleheads. I think inverts are definitly an aquired taste that a portion of the riders out there simply prefer the feel of.

Now with flavor!!
    thats what i found with the 888 vs my Shiver for the short trial run i had with it. The 888 felt alot more demanding to keep in line through the bobbleheads. I think inverts are definitly an aquired taste that a portion of the riders out there simply prefer the feel of.
    I had to get used to the handlebar feedback aspect of it when I got the 888, I know what you're saying. The response FROM the handlebar to the wheel is teh rulzor though. There's a section at whistler towards the bottom of the nationals DH course that has like 6 really hard switch backs, back and forth back and forth, with some rocks........ Places like that are where I really dig it. Northstar has a lot of hard, tight turns like that as well. When my front wheel is getting the beatdown from consecutive hits during a turn, the 888 just does a better job of putting the wheel where I point it and I noticed I drift a lot less with the front of my bike.

Canfield Brothers

flopy

I had to get used to the handlebar feedback aspect of it when I got the 888, I know what you're saying. The response FROM the handlebar to the wheel is teh rulzor though. There's a section at whistler towards the bottom of the nationals DH course that has like 6 really hard switch backs, back and forth back and forth, with some rocks........ Places like that are where I really dig it. Northstar has a lot of hard, tight turns like that as well. When my front wheel is getting the beatdown from consecutive hits during a turn, the 888 just does a better job of putting the wheel where I point it and I noticed I drift a lot less with the front of my bike.
    I hate the feel of having my fork not track where I steer. I dig what your saying.
    I think there are two things that happen that cause a rider to crash beyond rider error.
    1. is the rear of the bike hanging up and tossing the rider any number of directions, typically over the front.
    2. is the fork twisting and forcing the rider to over correct while it thows you off your line. Basically a mometary loss of control in steering.

Wu Tang Fa Life *****es
    I'm looking foward to checking out one of these new beasts. Maybe that kid from chicago will let me try his out next summer.
    Kevin are you gonna be at Sea Otter? if not I'll be up in tahoe June 24-26

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curb Hucker
    Kevin are you gonna be at Sea Otter? if not I'll be up in tahoe June 24-26
    I've developed a wierd fascination with running over little skinny men in spandex during descents in xc races over the last few years. I'm thinking about showing up and doing the xc race. Waiting in those lines for DH and mountain cross is ludicrous. I'll let you know.

Wu Tang Fa Life *****es
    I've developed a wierd fascination with running over little skinny men in spandex during descents in xc races over the last few years. I'm thinking about showing up and doing the xc race. Waiting in those lines for DH and mountain cross is ludicrous. I'll let you know.
    Dude, Brian is gonna be there spectating, thats a reason in itself to show up

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Curb Hucker
    The fork in all is super stiff 4 bushings per leg, the 8.5" of stanchion overlap, as well as the knurled legs at contact areas with the crowns make it probably the stiffest inverted fork out there. It is also a bit over a pound lighter than a shiver (7.75lbs) but it stiffer and stronger. If you have any other questions feel free to ask
    Hi, I've been using WB Groove 200 few months and have a few questions.
    i) How do I know my fork has 8.5" of stanchion overlap?
    ii) My fork is about 9lbs. Is there any problem (manufaturer web shown 7.8lbs)?
    iii) What is the maximum and minimum air for the nitro reservior? Why nitro?

I've mailed my questions to WB but no feed back. Please help.

Thank you.