Whistler Trip - Blacks and Double Blacks- Mtbr.com
    Death By Snoo Snoo

Whistler Trip - Blacks and Double Blacks

Hi everyone, we are heading to Whistler next weekend and just wanted to get an idea of the terrain difficulty of the upper mountain and black/dbl black rated trails. Last year I only rode the bottom half of Whistler before I wrecked and got a bad concussion so i didn't get a chance to hit up the upper half. I noticed that most of the trails on the upper section are either black or dbl black and I wanted to get an idea of how it compares to say Mammoth or Northstar black and Doubleblack trails. Are they about on par with Whistler's trail or is it significantly more difficult?

For example how are trails like Original Sin and Freight Train Compared to say Dog Bone, Karpiel, Velocity or DC10?

mtbr member
    Freight Train is just a long A-Line if you ask me.

FM
    mtbr member
    I haven't ridden mammoth or northstar, but I actually find most of the upper mountain to be easier than the lower mountain. it just depends on your skillset- whether you are a jumper or more into tech gnarl. The upper mountain has both.

Weather's also a huge factor. Goats gully in the wet can be pretty difficult. Dry, it's not bad at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    In my opinion, Whistler has a no-BS rating system. The difference in difficulty between the single- and double-black trails is significant, as in if you're going double ya better get yo nuts on.

Freight Train off the top is totally do-able for any competent park rider. There are some smaller A-line type jumps, some optional drops, and other goodies, but overall the trail is manageable.

Some of the optional lines like Original Sin and Goats Gully have long, steep rock slabs that can get slickery with much narrower tolerances when wet.

FM is right too, black isn't black isn't black up there. The rating is the same for a big jump line or natural gnarl. For instance, Schleyer is double black but you don't have to go air-crazy at all to ride it. If you like tire tracks on your ass from sitting on the back tire, no problem.

That's a lower mountain trail but the same principle applies - if you feel comfy on the single blacks ask around about the doubles to get a feel for what skills that trail caters to.

Or if you're a mad ripper just cackle your way over (way over) whatever happens to be in front of you.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

mtbr member
    yeah everytrail is difficult in different ways, i rode goats gully in the rain.... hardest trail to do when wet. Freight train isn't that much harder than A-line, just longer. O-sin is one of my favorite trails, it;s not too technical at all, Duffman, No-Duff, and Too tight are relativly easy, but fun. Have fun in whistler

Death By Snoo Snoo
    Thanks for the insight fellas, i am very excited to return to Whistler. I am hoping for those blacks and dbl blacks there are cheater lines for obstacles above my skill level.

moaaar shimz
    I found they were pretty easy (black diamonds) so you could go fast and pin everything and have tons of fun. First get some Freight Train, No Joke, Original Sin, Upper and Lower A-Line and also in another run Crank it Up etc. Try to ride Angry Pirate... for some reason I loved that track.

Then if they are easy or you've managed them, go for the classics: Dirt Merchant, Schleyer and maybe Clown Shoes (it was kinda hard for me though..)

Have fun and ride safe, its paradise for sure up there

mtbr member
    Dirt merch. and clown shoes are the two best trails i've ever been on, gotta love that drop on clown shoes at the end of those ladders.... that drop is rad

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Freight Train is a lot like A-line or Dirt Merchant, like the other folks have said.

I think that the double black runs tend to be a bit steeper than the single blacks but I think the primary difference is that the double blacks have more mandatory steep lines and hucks, i.e. tech features with no cheater lines. Like the rock drop on Schleyer or pretty much all of Goat's Gully....

From what I can tell the trail ratings at Whistler are about right for the amount of tech features on them, though most of the resorts I've been at have had pretty sensible ratings.

But double black at Whistler seems to be about equivalent to single black on the North Shore. Double Black on the the Shore equals super steep, and super tech with big consequences.....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    I found they were pretty easy (black diamonds) so you could go fast and pin everything and have tons of fun. First get some Freight Train, No Joke, Original Sin, Upper and Lower A-Line and also in another run Crank it Up etc. Try to ride Angry Pirate... for some reason I loved that track.

Have fun and ride safe, its paradise for sure up there
    that trail is awesome...pump the begining and stick the turns.....Man I was tired when finishing that section...just wanted it to end...then there is crab apple hits fun fun
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0