Whistler questions from an Easterner...- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

Whistler questions from an Easterner...

I have a ton of questions and Im sure there willbe more to come but I got the go ahead from my wife to make a trip out to Whistler in August. I can't even begin to say how pysched I am having never really ridden anything like it. I plan on doing a day or so or xc and a few days in the terrain park and lift access trails. Ill aska few questions now if thats cool and follow up later as I get closer.

Can the xc stuff be done on a singelespeed (my bike will cry if I put gears back on it).

Can any of the lift serviced trails be ridden on a hardtail (Chameleon with a Sherman FF)

Are there any must do's while there?

Im also coming up with some friends who aren't as into the "freeride" thing. Are there trails that we could all ride together that would offer bypasses over the nasty stuff?

I checked out the website but thought you guys might give me a more realistic idea of what to expect. I doubt I'll be hitting the biggest stuff (although I do want to push my limits) but I do want to experience a lot of what the place has to offer. I also want to be able to spend some time riding with my buds.

Any insights would be awesome and if anyone would like to hook up for a ride (assuming Ill be alone at least one day when some of the crew is just doing xc) or a beer or two, Let me know. Id love to meet some of the BC crew while Im up there.

Peace all,
    Scott (Whistler virgin)
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

You Are What You Is

That's awesome Scott

I rode Whistler for the first time last year. I was on a family vacation in the area so I only had one day to ride, but it is unbelievable. The trails there will accomodate anyone from the beginner to the 12-foot hucking sickos. They have a nice easy trail for your buds called B-line and some other green-rated trails. You should be OK on a hardtail. I saw lots of guys on HTs when I was there. All of the jumps have good transitions and many of them are tabletops. You might want to rent a FS for a day if you feel like gettin crazy. They have Konas for rent there. Once you get there you might 86 that idea of doing XC. The DH is just too much fun. I could ride A-Line all day. The Biker X course is cool too.
    Where are you staying?

mtbr member
    1. - Having never ridden a single speed I defiantely can not comment if the XC stuff can be ridden on a SS. I guess if you are strong enough then sure......

2. - Lift serviced trails ridden on a hardtail - absolutely. Whistler has done a fantastic job of making the majority of the trails relatively ridable on any type of mountain bike. As stated earlier you can also rent FS rigs up there if you get tired of FS riders blowing by all the time.

3. - Must do's - you mean other then riding? how about white water rafting in Squamish, hiking, partying it up at the local bar scenes, and as you are so close to Vancouver a visit or two to the North Shore is a must. Just let a few of us locals know when you are in town and I am sure a ride can be set up.

4. - Bypass trails - There is almost always a ride around for the sketchy stuff. If not a ride around there is always a clever and crafty way to walk around!

Definately let us locals know when you are in town. It is a tough job we have, showing people the Whistler/North Shore areas. We have to work so hard to show them a good time......

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I have a ton of questions and Im sure there willbe more to come but I got the go ahead from my wife to make a trip out to Whistler in August. I can't even begin to say how pysched I am having never really ridden anything like it. I plan on doing a day or so or xc and a few days in the terrain park and lift access trails. Ill aska few questions now if thats cool and follow up later as I get closer.

Can the xc stuff be done on a singelespeed (my bike will cry if I put gears back on it).

Can any of the lift serviced trails be ridden on a hardtail (Chameleon with a Sherman FF)

Are there any must do's while there?

Im also coming up with some friends who aren't as into the "freeride" thing. Are there trails that we could all ride together that would offer bypasses over the nasty stuff?

I checked out the website but thought you guys might give me a more realistic idea of what to expect. I doubt I'll be hitting the biggest stuff (although I do want to push my limits) but I do want to experience a lot of what the place has to offer. I also want to be able to spend some time riding with my buds.

Any insights would be awesome and if anyone would like to hook up for a ride (assuming Ill be alone at least one day when some of the crew is just doing xc) or a beer or two, Let me know. Id love to meet some of the BC crew while Im up there.

Peace all,
    Scott (Whistler virgin)

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    3. - Must do's - you mean other then riding? how about white water rafting in Squamish, hiking, partying it up at the local bar scenes, and as you are so close to Vancouver a visit or two to the North Shore is a must. Just let a few of us locals know when you are in town and I am sure a ride can be set up.

TJ
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the North Shore, but then that's a given. The time I was there (Early Sept '03) all of the Shore trails were closed due to wildfires. That sucked - the one time I get up there and I can't even ride the Shore. Next time....

USB Rep'n
    Thanks guys, good stuff to know. I do plan on getting a FS rig at least one day and Ill bring the Chameleon as well. I really think I'll leave it as a SS since anything too big to climb on that bike will see my friends pushing their gearies as well.

Im so stoked to be going. I casually mentioned the trip to my wife and couldn't beleive that she was all for it! I also can't wait to see just what this BC stuff is all about. We have fun stuff out here but it's nothing like what I see in the pics from Whistler. Should be a real eye opener and hopefully even help me get some new skills dialed in a bit. Im used to small trannies here so you have to get pretty creative with how you jump and drop.

TJ, Ill definitely let ya know when we are coming and I appreciate you're willingness to "sacrifice" your time in showing me around and keeping me company over some beers. I agree, that's tough!

eh-nay Ityopia!

jibber of the unjibbable
    one thing you MUST do on your way there is stop and pick me up and take me with you. That is all, you may continue.
    Boogie down to free James Brown

mtbr member
    If your wife is coming as well and she is not into the mountain bike scene there is still lots to do in Whistler. Golfing, rollerblading, kyaking, hiking, helicopter tours, rafting. This area of the world is pretty special, sometimes us locals forget that and take it for granted. Like during the forest fires last summer, man was I ever lost without my "back yard"

Right now at Whistler we have people struggling to decide if they are going to Ride or Ski. Alan B posts over in passion regularly and on the weekend he spent the morning riding, afternoon skiing! The glacier will be open for skiing in August so maybe bring skis as well?

TJ

Thanks guys, good stuff to know. I do plan on getting a FS rig at least one day and Ill bring the Chameleon as well. I really think I'll leave it as a SS since anything too big to climb on that bike will see my friends pushing their gearies as well.

Im so stoked to be going. I casually mentioned the trip to my wife and couldn't beleive that she was all for it! I also can't wait to see just what this BC stuff is all about. We have fun stuff out here but it's nothing like what I see in the pics from Whistler. Should be a real eye opener and hopefully even help me get some new skills dialed in a bit. Im used to small trannies here so you have to get pretty creative with how you jump and drop.

TJ, Ill definitely let ya know when we are coming and I appreciate you're willingness to "sacrifice" your time in showing me around and keeping me company over some beers. I agree, that's tough!

There's no app for this.

couple of thoughts

check www.petefagerlin.com, and view both the Whistler (for DH runs) and Squamish (for XC runs) videos. The Whizzler stuff is self explanatory, wear armour and go big. Squamish shows that it's technical XC, not rolling, so constant momentum on an SS might be an issue; I don't ride SS and there are very few of them here, so take that advice with a grain of salt I guess. IMHO I'd throw the cassette in the suitcase just in case; a few gears won't kill you negotiating tight technical, but again, that's an uninformed opinion.

Good luck, Jim
    Last edited by JimC.; 05-10-2004 at 10:53 AM.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    check www.petefagerlin.com, and view both the Whistler (for DH runs) and Squamish (for XC runs) videos. The Whizzler stuff is self explanatory, wear amour and go big. Squamish shows that it's technical XC, not rolling, so constant momentum on an SS might be an issue; I don't ride SS and there are very few of them here, so take that advice with a grain of salt I guess. IMHO I'd throw the cassette in the suitcase just in case; a few gears won't kill you negotiating tight technical, but again, that's an uninformed opinion.

Good luck, Jim
    actually, its probably great advice. A derailer, shifter, and cassette might be a good call to pack. A 1x9 should be all I need hopefully.

eh-nay Ityopia!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the North Shore, but then that's a given. The time I was there (Early Sept '03) all of the Shore trails were closed due to wildfires. That sucked - the one time I get up there and I can't even ride the Shore. Next time....
    I'd need a local to hit the Shore, wouldn't I? Just thinking, I could get myself into trouble if I don't know where to go or what to expect.

eh-nay Ityopia!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    If your wife is coming as well and she is not into the mountain bike scene there is still lots to do in Whistler. Golfing, rollerblading, kyaking, hiking, helicopter tours, rafting. This area of the world is pretty special, sometimes us locals forget that and take it for granted. Like during the forest fires last summer, man was I ever lost without my "back yard"

Right now at Whistler we have people struggling to decide if they are going to Ride or Ski. Alan B posts over in passion regularly and on the weekend he spent the morning riding, afternoon skiing! The glacier will be open for skiing in August so maybe bring skis as well?

TJ
    I'd bring the boards but I can't imagine not wanting to just ride everyday.

Im glad you mentioned the other stuff too. My wife would love to see it and it would great if she'd tag a long but I doubt she's going to. On the other hand, I know grandma would love to come spend a week with the kids so I know I can get a sitter. 'I'll work on her, I think she'd love it!

eh-nay Ityopia!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    one thing you MUST do on your way there is stop and pick me up and take me with you. That is all, you may continue.
    well, sinc you're right on the way.... you gotta promise you'll ride in that Pilgrim hat though!

eh-nay Ityopia!

jibber of the unjibbable
    well, sinc you're right on the way.... you gotta promise you'll ride in that Pilgrim hat though!

that's the only way I roll

well, that and the warm woolen Big Bird mittens
    Boogie down to free James Brown

There's no app for this.

heck ...1 x 5 would do....

I'm just thinking that SS'ers need the rolling and momentum , and in tight technical from track stand to torquing over the next log or rock garden, it might detract from the enjoyment? I'm thinking flow here, and it might be tough. All I can say is nobody here buys SS bikes even though local companies make them. But the Chameleon will be a good trail bike regardless.

Jim

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    2nd the idea to let us Vancouver types know when you are coming. We ride the NS twice a week so....

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    2nd the idea to let us Vancouver types know when you are coming. We ride the NS twice a week so....
    tahnks Craig. I know its Aug 4-8 but I'll give you all a heads up before we take off. Some local "guidance" would be great.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Not sure what I'm up to that week, but remind us before you come up and we'll try to set something up.

mtbr member

Ya, no shortage of riding or people to ride with...

...the mear mention of someone coming to Vancouver gets the local Vancouver MTBR crowd out in full force.

Some other cool things to do in the Whistler area (if you're into this kind of stuff and want to spend money):

-Rockclimbing: lots of courses in the Whistler and Squamish area - this is a world class climbing destination.
    -www.whistlerbungee.com
    -Ziptrek Canopy tours: http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/tod...trek/index.htm

Of course, the riding is awesome. A single speed might be a bit of a pig since most of the trails tend to have fairly decent climbs. If you do bring it, keep the gearing fairly moderate.

The bike park is great, but probably good for about two days in a row max. There is awesome technical XC type riding around Whistler and 45 minutes south in Squamish (home of arguably the best XC race in North America - the www.testofmetal.com). 30 minutes north is Pemberton, home to some fantastic desert style freeriding.

Enjoy!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.