Whistler/NS tire choice: Nevegal, WTB, Maxxis?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whistler/NS tire choice: Nevegal, WTB, Maxxis?

Sorry - I'm normally annoyed by threads asking for tire choices since it's usually such a personal thing, but... I'm hoping to get some experience/comparison-based advice. I'm getting my DH bike ready for an upcoming trip to NS and Whistler (yeah - going to lose my virginity finally...). I have a brand new WTB Dissent 2.5 (Team DH), so I definitely want to use that - but front or back? And then, what to get for the other tire? Other tires I'm considering:
    1) another Dissent (run em front and rear?),
    2) WTB Prowler MX 2.5 (Team DH),
    3) Nevegal 2.5 DH Sticky, or
    4) maybe one of the Maxxis DH tires.
    I've even considered a 2.5 Weirwolf for the front (I love the 2.1 and 2.3 versions of these tires on my non-DH bikes), but not sure since I think they're only available in the race version (Kevlar bead, single-ply side) and I plan to do some hucking. I've ran Timberwolfs (both DH and Race) for racing, and i used to think they were the end-all-be-all DH tire, but not so sure anymore. I've never run Maxxis DH tires, but I know they have a lot of fans. I know tire choice is a personal thing often, but anyone who's tried several of these that I'm looking at for riding the shore and Whistler may be able to provide good guidance based on their comparisons between two or more that I've mentioned? I'm more interested in tires that corner really well (hookup, predictable, don't feel too squishy or like they're going to roll off the bead) and stick to the ladders/logs, than tires that roll fast. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Maxxis minion DH specific

A little heavy and loads of rolling resistance, but if you want grip, they are a nice option to consider.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    DH casing Minion & High Roller Super Tacky's and stickee Nevegals in 2.5 are favourites up here. But they get eaten up on the back really quick when the WB park is dry and hard packed which it is almost always is in August. Swap for a 60duro rear tire then.

Glad to Be Alive
    many people get a lot of flats....strong sidewalls and run ur pressure up a little....Whistler has plenty of grip

I love the Michlens 32A.T. front and 24A.T. rear

bring extra tubes...they are like 12 bucks at the shop at the bottom
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    Maxxis Minions dual DHF's. Tire(s) of choice at Northstar at Tahoe Mountain Bike Park.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    many people get a lot of flats....strong sidewalls and run ur pressure up a little....Whistler has plenty of grip

I love the Michlens 32A.T. front and 24A.T. rear

bring extra tubes...they are like 12 bucks at the shop at the bottom
    $12!!!!!!!!!! DH tubes over the alantic in england r 20 bout $40 or over!
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Minions worked well for me, I've always like a minion DHF and a high roller for dry, dusty conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    $12!!!!!!!!!! DH tubes over the alantic in england r 20 bout $40 or over!
    Those are just the regular tubes that are $12........

mtbr member
    The Nevegals, Minions, and Highrollers are probably the most popular tires by the folks up here. I have had a great deal of success with the Bontrager Big Earls as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead
    Sorry - I'm normally annoyed by threads asking for tire choices since it's usually such a personal thing, but... I'm hoping to get some experience/comparison-based advice. I'm getting my DH bike ready for an upcoming trip to NS and Whistler (yeah - going to lose my virginity finally...). I have a brand new WTB Dissent 2.5 (Team DH), so I definitely want to use that - but front or back? And then, what to get for the other tire? Other tires I'm considering:
    1) another Dissent (run em front and rear?),
    2) WTB Prowler MX 2.5 (Team DH),
    3) Nevegal 2.5 DH Sticky, or
    4) maybe one of the Maxxis DH tires.
    I've even considered a 2.5 Weirwolf for the front (I love the 2.1 and 2.3 versions of these tires on my non-DH bikes), but not sure since I think they're only available in the race version (Kevlar bead, single-ply side) and I plan to do some hucking. I've ran Timberwolfs (both DH and Race) for racing, and i used to think they were the end-all-be-all DH tire, but not so sure anymore. I've never run Maxxis DH tires, but I know they have a lot of fans. I know tire choice is a personal thing often, but anyone who's tried several of these that I'm looking at for riding the shore and Whistler may be able to provide good guidance based on their comparisons between two or more that I've mentioned? I'm more interested in tires that corner really well (hookup, predictable, don't feel too squishy or like they're going to roll off the bead) and stick to the ladders/logs, than tires that roll fast. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Another vote for a maxxis minion dhf. I wouldn't ride with anything else on the front of my bike. 2 and soon to be 3 trips to Whis and I've always been very pleased with the minions.

Brackish
    Nevegal sticky, 2.5 front and rear. Minion DH 2.5 is a close second. WTB tires are universally hated by nearly everyone I ride with here, they just don't hook up on the Shore and Whistler.

Once again: Nevegal 2.5. Low pressure for the Shore (I run 25), higher for Whiz (I run 35). Have fun, you're in for some sweet riding!

Members who have read this thread: 0