Whistler/northshore/washington trip advise (july 21-26)- Mtbr.com
    biking is fun

Whistler/northshore/washington trip advise (july 21-26)

i know there are alot of these threads around but this is my first time going up and will be a while before i get to go back so i got to make it good.
    first off ill be riding whistler the 21-23, i want to ride north shore stuff on the 25, and then im thinking washington or oregon on the 26 on the drive home.
    so my questions are...
    1. anyone riding there at these times? my wife and dad are coming and it would be nice to ride with someone else for atleast one of the days so i can ride some of the harder trails. also what are the must do trails? aline, freight train, and crank it up of coarse but what are some of the other amazing ones?
    2. what North shore place should i go? i only have 1 day. shuttle options would be prefered so i can get the most out of it. prefer something on the easier side, also bypasses to the stunts so my wife can come along and take pics and maybe easier stunts for her to try. somewhere close to whistler would be a plus.
    3. where should i go on the 26th? i was thinking washington mt galbriath or maybe somewhere in oregon. it would be on the drive home so probably only 4 hours worth of riding. what trails on galbriath should i hit up?

so advise is good but someone who wants to ride would be even better. the north shore day could easily be changed to the 24th if that works better for anyone.
    thanks in advance

Freetard.
    I don't know if this is close enough to our route, but Black Rock has some mighty fine freeriding in Oregon.
    http://www.brmba.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

biking is fun
    sweet ill check it out. i live in utah so we will be going through oregon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nut!
    I don't know if this is close enough to our route, but Black Rock has some mighty fine freeriding in Oregon.
    Worth the drive off I-5 for sure

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Nut!
    actually your wife will love to ride this....way fun trails for all and a great learning area too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    PM ebxtreme he will tell you all you want to know...he rides in Canada almost every weekend it seems
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Freetard.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    actually your wife will love to ride this....way fun trails for all and a great learning area too
    Haha for sure. Basic training is half the fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    1) Even if there aren't any MTBR-ers riding Whistler when you're there, it's not a hard place to connect with other riders. Talk to people on the lift or in the lift line, it should be pretty easy to hook up with other riders who'd be happy to show you around. Even if you don't, there's lots of traffic so even if you did crash, someone would be along to help you out before long. I found people to be really friendly and cool at Whistler.

They're all must-do trails.

I know that lots of people go on at length about the jump trails but there's tons of primo singletrack in the bike park too. Don't miss:

Original Sin
    Goat's Gully (worth looking at even if you end up walking half of it. I know I did my first time )
    In Deep
    Fatcrobat
    Too Tight
    Schleyer
    Joyride
    Rock City
    Lower Whistler DH
    Karate Monkey

In fact you can hit the first 5 trails in one ride from the top of Garbanzo then take Schleyer-Rock City or Schleyer-Lower Whistler DH or Joyride all the way down to Heart of Darkness. If that doesn't make you grin, nothing will!

2) Given your criteria I'd hit up Seymour. For one, it's a shuttle hill and it has some of the more manageable trails on the shore. Trails like CBC are shore classics and are well maintained by the NSMBA. There are ridearounds on most of the really tough features on CBC-Corkscrew-Pingu-Pangor or CBC-Ned's. There are usually lots of friendly locals around too. Maps are available at any of the bike shops on the shore. Don't take your wife down Boogieman or Empress....

3) Can't help you here, though next time I'm out there I'd love to check out Black Rock.

Hopefully this was helpful and I'm infinitely envious of you for getting to ride in BC. I'm not going to get out there at all this year.

biking is fun
    thanks, that was very helpful. we are tweaking the plans to include one day at galbriath and one day at black rocks. I can't wait to ride up there in BC. Its kind of our last big trip before my wife starts nursing school and i start paramedic school. so this has to give us our fill for the next two years.

Big Test Icycles
    Before your trip to Blackrock make contact with this shop www.santiambicycle.com they can get you good maps of the area and great directions. Somebody from that shop is up at Blackrock every weekend. Also take a look at this web site for more info www.brmba.org it has good info. Drop me a line when you are going and I'll try to get up there.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover
    1) Even if there aren't any MTBR-ers riding Whistler when you're there, it's not a hard place to connect with other riders. Talk to people on the lift or in the lift line, it should be pretty easy to hook up with other riders who'd be happy to show you around. Even if you don't, there's lots of traffic so even if you did crash, someone would be along to help you out before long. I found people to be really friendly and cool at Whistler.

They're all must-do trails.

I know that lots of people go on at length about the jump trails but there's tons of primo singletrack in the bike park too. Don't miss:

Original Sin
    Goat's Gully (worth looking at even if you end up walking half of it. I know I did my first time )
    In Deep
    Fatcrobat
    Too Tight
    Schleyer
    Joyride
    Rock City
    Lower Whistler DH
    Karate Monkey

In fact you can hit the first 5 trails in one ride from the top of Garbanzo then take Schleyer-Rock City or Schleyer-Lower Whistler DH or Joyride all the way down to Heart of Darkness. If that doesn't make you grin, nothing will!

2) Given your criteria I'd hit up Seymour. For one, it's a shuttle hill and it has some of the more manageable trails on the shore. Trails like CBC are shore classics and are well maintained by the NSMBA. There are ridearounds on most of the really tough features on CBC-Corkscrew-Pingu-Pangor or CBC-Ned's. There are usually lots of friendly locals around too. Maps are available at any of the bike shops on the shore. Don't take your wife down Boogieman or Empress....

3) Can't help you here, though next time I'm out there I'd love to check out Black Rock.

Hopefully this was helpful and I'm infinitely envious of you for getting to ride in BC. I'm not going to get out there at all this year.
    x2

When I was there I didn't know anyone but I just began chatting with some guys at the lift line and they showed me around...

I liked Joyride, Angry Pirate, A-Line, Dirt Merchant, Schleyer and Original Sin. Pump your tires really well/use DH casing with DH tubes/bring patch kit... I saw a LOT of riders fixing flats.

And the most important thing: have fun!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    x2 Pump your tires really well/use DH casing with DH tubes/bring patch kit... I saw a LOT of riders fixing flats. :
    definately pump your tires up a few notches...many many flats,....bring extra tubes and tires because they are really expensive...like 12 bucks for a tube expensive

squish is good
    If your willing to venture eastward there is some pretty badass freeriding to be had in central Washington near Leavenworth. Contact Das Rad Haus (The bike shop) in town there and they offer shuttles and guides or they can get you maps and directions if you want to venture on your own. I'd offer to show you around but I won't be in town until end of July. It's worth the detour. Galby is a good option if you don't mind pedaling to the top, no shuttling there though. There are various other trails that shall not be spoken of along the I-5 corridor in WA though, but you have to know the right people to get directions (I don't).
    Bike good, work bad.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Blackrock is pretty far out of the direct route home. I might hit up Ledgeview or Woodlot after Seymour. I haven't ridden Ledgeview yet, but it looks killer. Woodlot is the flowy side of the Shore. You might not want to drag everyone down Platinum but Crazy Carpenter, Shotgun, and Quick Hit are all chill trails that everyone will like. No shuttle on Woodlot, gotta walk/ride up, but it's not that hard of a push.

Just roll it......
    My big question is what bikes are you bringing with you?

Shore advice:
    If you're just bringing a DH rig and you don't feel like climbing, then you should ride Seymour when you're riding the shore. From a logistical standpoint, it's as easy as it gets. If you have bikes that can climb or you don't mind pushing, then I'd recommend a full morning on Fromme and then get a couple of shuttles on Seymour after some food. It'll be light 'til 9 (or so) around that time, so you'll have all day. I'd recommend Cypress to shuttle as well, but I don't know your skill level on steeps and Cypress is a notch above Fromme/Seymour when it comes to the gnar factor.

Bike Park Advice:
    1. Take a warm up run every day.
    2. Make it a goal to ride every trail in the park. Some are gonna be below your level and some might be above it, but I really try to mix it up when I ride up there. While I love dirt merchant, A Line, Freight Train, etc......I tend to get really bored doing the same trails over and over.
    3. Mix up tech runs and jump runs. You use different skillsets and muscles on these, imo, and it helps make the day more fun and helps me stay fresher during the day. Also, sometimes "take runs off" where I'll do easier trails like Smoke and Mirrors or Devil's Club or Crank it up to rest a bit. There are a lot of people that just yo yo A line all day long.

Whistler riding advice:
    Hit some valley trails if you can. They're some of the best technical xc trails I've ridden with practically no one else on them. I like to call it "whistler xc" (tongue in cheek)....you have to earn your turns on these, so a lot of folks never venture out of the park, but some are more hairball than stuff in the park. I will often do a quick park session in the AM, go get an xc ride in during the early afternoon (when it's hottest and lines are longest) and then ride the park in the evening again. 8 hours in the saddle is usually enough for me up there.

I see you're in SLC, if you want to get some more personal advice (and appropriate for your wife), chat with my wife tomorrow at the Draper build day. She's in Utah for a week and a half and will be heading out there with Steve and Ted tomorrow to dig.

Washington: Galby is fun for sure, but again, it's not a shuttle. If you've got bikes you can climb on (or don't mind pushing), you'll have fun. There are shuttles in that general area, but not anything I would post on here.

Cheers,
    EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 06-10-2008 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I haven't ridden BC nearly as much as EB but I have ridden Whistler a bunch and have been on Fromme and Seymour. I've ridden Galby a bazillion times. I love it, it's definitely a cool joint and I'm grateful every day I get up there. But, 10 times out of 10 I'd rather ride the stuff you're considering in BC.

There's a hotel between Fromme and Seymour that I believe offers bike storage and has a great restaurant/bar (name?). I would rather shred two days here than spend one of them at Galbraith.

That said, Galby generally is not that tech, the trails are smooth and there are ride-arounds for just about everything. The freeride stuff is definitely cool but the level of construction on the trails generally hasn't caught up with BC. It's also possible that after riding the "less tech" hills, you'll be down for some smooth trails. They ain't easy.

I don't know the other Shore mountains but that would be my 2c.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

biking is fun
    thanks for all of the advise, for bikes i will be riding my Nicolai UFO st. im running a 66 ata in front and it has about 7.2 inches rear. my wife has a kona dawg and my dad is riding a santa cruz bullit with a boxxer on the front. im debating wether i should switch out to some 2.5 minions. im running single ply advantage front and minion rear.
    im sure ill get plenty of runs down the easier stuff unless i hook up with some other people on the mountain.

sadly i can never make it out to the draper build days on wed cause i work in park city and dont get off til 6. by the time i could get to draper it would be 7ish.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    im debating wether i should switch out to some 2.5 minions. im running single ply advantage front and minion rear..
    Run dual ply tires for the bike park unless you prefer to fix flats over riding.

Miklorsmith is right on with the Galby vs. an extra day on the Shore assesment. As Flight of the Conchords would put it "2 days in heaven is better than one day in heaven". Galby is great for what it is and where it is, but it can, in no way, match the fun factor of riding the Shore.

FYI, the hotel between Seymour and Fromme is the Holiday Inn. They've got a very secure interior room for bikes.....I've stayed there probably 20 times. There couldn't be a more central location for riding there.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Even though you can't shuttle it, I recommend trying Mt Fromme on the North Shore. Should be under an hour's climb to the 7th switchback. Linking up 7th Secret, Pipeline, Baden Powell east, and Natural High would be a great ride (see www.gutsploder.com or nsmba.org for map). Pipeline and Natural High have had a lot of work done on them and they are in awesome shape. Natural High has tons of stunts but all have a ride around.

Pic of Natural High from NSMB:
    https://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/5/1/..._in_action.jpg

It's fun! And less busy than Seymour which can be crazy during the summer!

American Icon

I've done that trip...

Stayed in Bellingham one day and rode Mt. Galbraith... used to go to college there and it is where I started MTBing, so it was nice to revisit some old trails and see the changes.

Then went up to the north shore and rode Fromme (e.g. Upper Oilcan and Pink Starfish). Super hot day and my group wasn't prepared for the grind up. If given the choice, i should have done Seymour first... (still haven't done CBC yet!).

Have been to Whistler twice now and fell in love with A-line/Dirt Merchant runs. I agree with an earlier poster... do warm up runs and try as much of the mountain as possible. I found other trails that were great to mix in. Also, be careful not to burn yourself out (always watch that famous quote, "Just one more run...". I was tired, did the proverbial one last run, and just about ended my trip after getting squirrelly coming off a jump.)

If you have time, I'd do 2 bike park days and then explore the non-Whistler trails in the valley (love the trail 'A River Runs Through It'... def. a must ride) for a day. Finish in the park for another day or two.

biking is fun
    sweet, i am getting excited
    for some reason i thought north shore was close to whistler but it looks kind of far away.

how far is the drive from whistler to seymour or fromme?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Whistler to Seymour/Fromme is about 1:15 min to 3 hours, depending on traffic. Usually around 2 hours but I had a 3 hour trip last time I was there. A bro of mine in Vancouver says there has been lots of talk about how bad the traffic to whistler has been and that they may try to limit road construction during certain parts of the day to help.

Don't run those ADvantages in the bike park, don't even consider it. Even the "easy" trails are ripping fast. They'll be fine on a lot of the shore trails but the extra grip of a 42a durometer is always welcome on the shore even if you're not in danger of flatting.

One more thing, get some XC rides in before you go, be in shape. Back to back days in the bike park and shore will wear you down. Nothing worse than getting hurt due to fatigue.

biking is fun
    thanks as always Err,
    you need to get me and sara out of the house and on some rides with you and M.
    ill work on getting some minions, i have a 2.5 3C DHF my friend is giving me so now i need to find a cheep 2 ply rear tire. spent too much lately on the Nic so i need to save money for the big trip. you got any used ones laying around you would want to sell?
    oh and i got my urban tires so ill return the ones you lent me when i see you next.

biking is fun
    well guys im bringing this back up cause im leaving on saturday and am looking for some last minute advise or people to ride with.
    here is the plan
    whistler - mon the 21st through the 23rd
    north shore - friday the 25th and sat the 26th. (fromme fri and seymour sat)

anyone going to be there at the same time that could ride?
    also
    if you could suggest must do runs or must do restraunts or anything about the trip.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'd switch the Seymour/Fromme order since Seymour will be busier with shuttlers on Saturday. That said we were there last Saturday and it wasn't bad.

There's a great bar at the base of Fromme called the Black Bear that gets a lot of dollars from us and the restaurant/bar by the Holiday Inn at the base of Seymour is good too. There are lots of very cute waitresses at both places too.

I was going to be doing Friday/Saturday at the shore that w/e but it looks now like we'll be up at Whistler those days.

Have a great trip!
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

FM
    mtbr member
    Others covered most of the good stuff

Personally I'd try to hit both seymour (CBC>corkscrew>pangor>empress perhaps) and mt. fromme (7th secret, upper oil can, pipeline & natural high). See www.gutsploder.com for maps and pics.

The only other thing to add, consider your drive times carefully!
    Sea-to-sky highway closes between 3-5am nighly for construction, and there are constant delays during the day. I'd try to drive it in the evening, when delays won't cut into your ride time.

Also, consider traffic around seattle, everret and vancouver plus the border crossing. A 4hr drive can turn into 8hrs if you time it wrong! I have the best luck heading north from seattle after 6pm, this way you miss all the rush-hours, get to the border late when it's not busy, and still beat the construction on sts. Leaving Seattle at 6pm usually gets me into whistler around 11pm.

biking is fun
    thanks guys,
    as for the travel thing we are leaving utah on saturday morning and allowing ourselves sat and all of sunday to get into whistler so it won't cut into any riding time there. then from whistler to vancover we are taking thursday to drive that and relax and recover so time won't be a issue there either.
    the reason we are doing fromme on friday is because me, my wife, and dad are biking and my mom will be out sight seeing all day friday. saturday she is planning on shuttling for us so we won't have to do odd man out. its great having a dad who is retired and rides DH cause i always have someone to ride with.

and also the cute waitress thing won't help me very much...ill just stay busy checking out my cute wife.

Gnarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Run dual ply tires for the bike park unless you prefer to fix flats over riding.
    ^^^ Wot he said.

Those Advantage are worth sheeat and will be ripped to shreds on the first run.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    You will have nothing but fun at Whistler... Watch out for lower Joyride. That trail's my nemesis. You will dig Seymore. CBC and the trails below are amazing. Take some time to admire the engineering of CBC as it blows me away every time.

If you're passing through Ashland Oregon on the 27th, you should stop in... If you still have any energy left.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey Bubba -
    I may get some sh!t for this because I am a big fan of his - but contact Shaums March and schedule a day or two of his coaching. I have no idea if he is available, but if you get to Whistler with him, you will get the most of the park, the most of your bikes and set yourselves up for a great time the rest of the trip.

I know before I went on the Ultimate Road Trip last year with Shaums, I would have figured that I was in no way worthy of his time and he would be way out of my league. Well, I was right, that he was WAY out of my league when it came to riding, but he was totally cool! (He still is!). Shaums knows more about riding and coaching than anyone I have ever met or heard of. He took me from a XC rider to a DH rider in hours. There is so much to know about every aspect that riding with Shaums following you and coaching live on the trails - there is NOTHING like it. He helped me with a good size rock drop on Dirt Merchant that I would never have tried. The first time he was waiting at the bottom to catch me if I fell. But I didn't and he let out the biggest yell - "You did it!! I'm so stoked! You did it!" Next time down, he said - just do the same thing. He watched from afar and gave me the confidence to make it. Unbelievable. Then he coached me down A-line and a heavy rooted section (lower A?). As Master-Card says - Priceless - riding at Whistler with Shaums (and during Crankworks for me) was one of those moments.

As an added bonus, Shaums got us in the 'school' lane at the lifts, so VIP treatment the whole way!

So if you are looking for people to ride with and want to really RIDE Whistler, get in touch with Shaums. Even if he is not available, there may be one of his coaches (Dave is awesome too) that can help out.

Have a great trip. It sounds like a dream trip - and with your dad? Too cool!

mmrcamp.com

Send me a PM if you have any trouble reaching him.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeride777
    ^^^ Wot he said.

Those Advantage are worth sheeat and will be ripped to shreds on the first run.

oh yeah, since then i put a 2.5 3c minion and 2.5 3c high roller on my old azonic outlaw wheelset. so now i have 2 wheelsets. just with switching my wheels/tires/tubes i gained 5 pounds on the bike!!!!
    but it rips at the resorts

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    On Whistler Mountain in the bike park -
    Warm up on the lower mountain:
    Crank It Up (warm up your flow/jump)
    Angry Pirate (warm up your tech)

Once you're warm, don't miss:
    A-Line (duh)
    Dirt Merchant (double duh)
    Freight Train to No Joke to Side Track to Duffman to Golden Triangle to end of Dirt Merchant to Lower A-Line to Hornet to GLC Drops (keep your eye open for the rock wall ride on Golden Triangle!)
    Freight Train to In Deep to Fatcrobat (jumps, tech, and woodwork)
    Drop In Clinic is amusing, don't miss the containers on Freight Train
    Oh and don't miss Joyride (upper and lower), Detroit Rock City, and no trip to Whizzler is complete without a run down Clown Shoes.

Hmm, sounds like I said just ride the whole mountain... You'll probably get stuck in the Dirt Merchant and A-Line rut for a while, it's hard to get away from those trails.

Hell, I almost left out Schleyer, gotta hit Schleyer to Detroit Rock City.

And now for a public service announcement-
    eat
    hydrate
    rest
    don't get tired and sloppy or you're gonna get hurt
    warm up each day
    never take "1 more run"

mtbr member
    I get there that Thursday on the 24th!

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty
    I get there that Thursday on the 24th!
    northshore or whistler?

if your going to be riding northshore PM me. its fun riding with my wife and dad but i would like to ride a few runs with someone who is around the same (or better) skill level then me. northshore will be a little above my wife's level and some above my dad's. plus it would be nice to have someone to push me to do dumb stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    northshore or whistler?

if your going to be riding northshore PM me. its fun riding with my wife and dad but i would like to ride a few runs with someone who is around the same (or better) skill level then me. northshore will be a little above my wife's level and some above my dad's. plus it would be nice to have someone to push me to do dumb stuff.
    I'll be up at Whistler - i'm heading up there to ride w/ my brother and one of his bros. I'm very excited.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Freight Train to No Joke to Side Track to Duffman to Golden Triangle to end of Dirt Merchant to Lower A-Line to Hornet to GLC Drops (keep your eye open for the rock wall ride on Golden Triangle!)
    My favorite run from last week... Watch out for the drop on Side Tracked... Needs more transition.
    You'll probably get stuck in the Dirt Merchant and A-Line rut for a while, it's hard to get away from those trails.
    You make it sound like getting stuck on these trails is a bad thing!
    Hell, I almost left out Schleyer, gotta hit Schleyer to Detroit Rock City.
    Ahhh Schleyer...

Here's a pic of me on Dropinclinic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0