Whistler Heli trip- Mtbr.com
    Big Test Icycles

Whistler Heli trip

My group is planning a Heli drop next summer (2019) for our yearly Whistler trip. The two trails offered are Rainbow Mountain or Mt.Barbour in Pemberton. Can anyone recommend one over the other. Iíve watched most of the videos but as we know most videos flatten the trail out. Just looking for some feedback Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I looked into this for this year also. It ends up I couldn't go due to a shoulder injury. Here's what I found out though-

Mount Barber seems to be great on the 6-inch travel bike, 5000 foot vertical descent, awesome views, Alpine up top, trees down bottom. There's a nice stopping point in the middle with a lake to hop in if you'd like. The seems to be a five to six hour trip if you want to make it that. The issue is getting to the heli port if you don't have a car. Also, you finish in Pemberton which is about half an hour north of Whistler I believe. The heli company doesn't offer transportation to or from the heliport nor do they offer transportation from Pemberton back to Whistler.

Rainbow Mountain is directly across from Whistler and seems to be more downhill oriented. The Whistler heliport is probably about 3 miles north of Whistler Village so riding your bike as an option, but on the downhill bike???

The one issue I had with the Whistler heli Excursion is that you need to have five people to get the price that they offer per person. If you have four people they won't pair another two people up with you or vice versa. You're renting the heli for a total cost. For example say it cost $1,000 per flight, if there's just two of you it will cost $500 each. They won't find a group of 3 for you to go with to drop the price to $200 a piece.

I'm there to downhill, but renting an Enduro bike and going to mount Barber that's probably what I would prefer to do.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 10-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    I have done both the Rainbow and Barbour heli drops on a 150mm/160mm bike.

Rainbow is way shorter and more DH oriented and quite steep, but there are a few punchy climbs, and if you don't have someone to pick you up at the end, you have to pedal a ways back to town. It's still not any longer than a half day trip, though. You can get down that mountain pretty quickly.

If I were going to do another heli drop, I would do Barbour again. No question. It's more like 6000 feet of descent. It takes a few hours and is more all-moutainy. You do have to drive all the way up to Pemberton (you start and end at the same spot), but you get a lot more bang-for-your-buck IMO.

On both trips, it was 5 people per helicopter.

Bring a sandwich and a jacket. It's cold at the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    It's cold at the top.
    It's always cold at the top!