whistler costs- Mtbr.com

Thread: whistler costs

mtbr member
    May 2008

whistler costs

To travel as a vacation for 2 from Louisiana to Canada, stay in a motel, and go to whislter would run a very steep price. Why on earth is the cost of things there so high. 50 bucks a day for a lift ticket???????? 99 bucks a day for a bike rental???????? I didnt even get to the hotel rates I would guess 100 bucks a night??? And then the cost to eat, travel while there, and to fly to get there. Anyone can give an estimated over all cost of a whole stay for 2 maybe if you have gone? Just curious how much all of this actually costs for a 3- 5 day stay when its all said and done.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes it is costly in Whistler. I had my first trip there last year and am planning on going there this year, it's just that good. My friends bailed so I went alone. Got a place for 74 a nite and cooked in for meals and brown bagged it most of the time. Planning on going in July for some better weather and before the big festival there. Your prices seem to be correct but I went for the three day discount pass and stayed for a week as I will again this year. You know that you can do some trails outside the park that are amazing, like Pemberton, I plan on doing that on my next trip along with the park stuff. The parks inland might be cheaper, will look into that also.

Glad to Be Alive
    better have a passport too............

if that is too much maybe drive to Colorado and go to Keystone
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Professional Troll
    Ummmmm 50 bucks a day for lift ticket is expensive??? Have you ever been skiing? $89 a day at Heavenly this year :'(

mtbr member
    I bet it would cost ya $2,500 total depending on eating out and where you stay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ive been living in Squamish ( 30 min.south of Whistler) for over 6 years now and yes , its a bit more expensive than most common town in BC.You just have to have to ask locals for cheap and good places to eat, there's actually lots,stay not so much though.

Personally I dont think it'd be a good idea to come up here for only 2-3 days considering that you would spend a lot of $$$ on a flight to get here.

That being said, I dont know much about pricing in the U.S but, 50$ for a day ticket is pretty average in Canada, especially if you consider the amount of terrain/trails you get ( and Im not even talking about the quality which is a notch above anything else...IN THE WORLD!)

Cheapest rental Ive seen at the bike park ever was 80$ and that was like 5 years ago , so 100$ to get a primo bike in 2009 seems right to me.Unlike most other resort you actually do get many options to find the best bike for you.

100$ for a night, you think thats EXPENSIVE?I dont know maybe I travel in very fancy places but Its been a LOOOooong time since Ive seen decent rooms for less than a 100 bucks...In a resort especially!

It might actually turn out to be cheaper for you to rent a car and stay in Squamish ( you'd be right in the center of the universe, the Shore on one side and Whistler/Pemby on the other, plus we have **** loads of trails here in town as well.)

Would you be traveling all by yourself or in a group?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2 people, was just giving the idea some thought depending on the cost.
    maybe it is a bit too far and too much for me.

mtbr member
    Well, I checked it out and to stay in New Orleans it is about the same. $120.00 a night for hotels, some narrated tour thing was $24.00 for 70 minutes per person and a car rental is recommended to get around.
    Whistler isn't that expensive compared to other tourist spots in the world. I like to think that you get what you pay for and Whistler delivers.

Bike Hustler
    whistler?
    dont forget hidden costs:

-A few blown tubes and maybe a ripped tire sidewall
    -Garenteed derailer carnage
    -Maybe snapped chain

...the lift service may eat your wallet, but the mountain will eat your bike!

PS

optional costs include
    -a bag of the local BC nugs
    -several pitchers a day of beer at around $14 per
    SHAM-WOW

Rip Van Winkle
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluesbox
    To travel as a vacation for 2 from Louisiana to Canada, stay in a motel, and go to whislter would run a very steep price. Why on earth is the cost of things there so high. 50 bucks a day for a lift ticket???????? 99 bucks a day for a bike rental???????? I didnt even get to the hotel rates I would guess 100 bucks a night??? And then the cost to eat, travel while there, and to fly to get there. Anyone can give an estimated over all cost of a whole stay for 2 maybe if you have gone? Just curious how much all of this actually costs for a 3- 5 day stay when its all said and done.
    Where you coming from Cuz? I've been to Whistler and it wasn't cheap. Expect some good riding and a hefty price tag. Consider it the Hawaii of MTB. I can't remember the last hotel that wasn't $100 +

mtbr member
    Find a group to go with and it will be a lot cheaper. We have a big group going from Montana this year mid July. If you want to go with us, PM me. Plan on $1000-$1500 each over the flight cost.

Ive been to Whistler 2-3 times a year for the last 6 years. Ive seen guys do the trip on $500 and Ive seen guys spend $2000. It all depends on what you eat and night life. We usually stop at a grocery store in the US and buy all our food before we cross the border. If you get 4-6 guys in each room the cost is a lot chaper too.

If you are serious about going, PM me.

Its got what plants crave
    Man, park bikes are $$$ to rent! 100 bucks a day seems pretty steep. I guess now that park riding is starting to take off they can justify it. Plus Whistler is supposed to be some of the best riding anywhere.. I want to get up there so bad. I think I'd ship my bike and camp or something rather than rent a room.

mtbr member
    We stay in a room that is $150 a night but you can sleep 6 guys in it, comfortably. $25 a night for each guy isnt bad. Then splitting gas isnt too bad either.

mtbr member

Keeps the Trailer Trash Out.....

JUST JOKING....but seriously high end and expensive. If you are not used to doing that kind of riding, it would be better for you to go to Tahoe and ride Northstar and still have the option of riding All Mountain Trails and Downeville.

There XC trails are hard and you will probably get lost. I am not even sure if camping is an option. Although my group did not look. About the best thing going for it at the moment is that the exchange rate is down.

General Rabble-Rouser
    The cost of daily riding in whistler is pretty cheap when you consider you can hammer out a good run every half hour.

Ways to make things cheaper:

Be prepared. Pack well and bring what you need for riding. if you own any DH gear bring it, and skip renting their shared stuff. I can pack all my DH gear in a medium sized duffel. Sure is nice wearing your own helmet, gloves, and armour...
    Having your own first aid stuff when you do take a digger can save a bunch of money and time than having to shell out money at the village pharmacy.

Look for stay & ride deals offered by hotels. Tourism is going to be lighter this summer and hotels will compete for business. Try and find one with a kitchenette to save major bucks on eating.

eat cereal and fruit for breakfast, make your own lunch, buy your beer from a liquor store, and stay out of the expensive bars & restaurants your budget will go down a ton.

Renting a bike that can retail for around 5k cdn isn't bad for 100 a day. You don't have to worry about maintenance, and when you buy the insurance, it covers damage in crashes. Parts are not cheap in the village. Ever.

Consider riding in a different place even. Sun Peaks is a lot cheaper to stay & eat in than Whistler, never has lines, and has some fantastic trails. Whistler is fun, but is not the end-all of good riding experiences.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    Whistler is fun, but is not the end-all of good riding experiences.
    Sure about that?

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Sure about that?

Yes, Quite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Sure about that?
    Silver Star, Panorama, Fernie, Kicking Horse, the Shore, are all pretty nice too. But Whistler is still #1 in my book with Silver Star a close 2nd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Websites like whistler.com and whistlercondos.com etc tend to have great deals in the summer. 2 bedrooms for under $90 a night is not uncommon.

I get 10-15 days a summer in Whistler, so I may be bias, but if you can save up your $$$ and do your homework, it can be the trip of a lifetime.

kntr is right, Silver Star is a close second for riding, but there is nothing to do when the lifts stop. Whistler's night life can get crazy (well at least it could before the wife and kids).

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Forget Wistler...America has dozens of great bike parks...while one may not offer all that Whistler does, if you are in Colorado; you could hit 3-4 different places and still spend less money. Not to mention you could drive.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    -------BC--------
    Panorama
    Fernie
    Kicking Horse
    Silver Star
    Sun Peaks
    Mt Washington

-----USA------
    Big Mountain in Montana
    Silver Mountain in Idaho
    Big Sky in Montana

Its got what plants crave
    For those of you suggesting other parks, which would you recommend?

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    -------BC--------
    Panorama
    Fernie
    Kicking Horse
    Silver Star
    Sun Peaks
    Mt Washington

-----USA------
    Big Mountain in Montana
    Silver Mountain in Idaho
    Big Sky in Montana

Kicking horse is such as sweet mountain. It's just so big. Plus you have Seven just down the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Whistler isn't the only bike park in BC. the interior has some great bike parks, like Panorama Mountain Village, Kicking Horse, and Fernie. a lift ticket at Panorama is under $40 and there is a really cheap hotel right at the base of the park.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Whistler is so expensive because most stuff is owned by people who aren't hurting for money (in general); nobody owns anything here it seems. For example, I rent a 1,000-ish square foot home that isn't really all that nice (in Alpine Meadows, about 4 minutes from Whistler ... a suburb if you will), it is valued at $1,000,000 where, back home, it would be worth MAYBE $200,000. Why? Because the owners can set any price they want since they can wait 25 years to sell it for all they care. If 90% of the owners of houses are this way, you get retarded price (housing). Well, from there, everything ultimately follows, and the mountain is definitely the last one that is going to lower their prices when they know they have a great name and a nice fanbase of rich people.

What's even better here is what the mountain pays their employees that they farm from Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, etc ... criminal (assuming you call it PAYING, considering most employees save zero and put all their money back into mountain owned housing and shops).

I digress, this place is expensive, yes. However, deals can be found (especially with this season being completely ****) ... hotel + lift are a lot cheaper (in general). A lot of the deals knock a few bucks off a normal room price and give you a lift ticket for free. If you're super chinsey and are looking for the cheapest way to go, people will rent out rooms in their place for pretty cheap, you can do a hostel (there are lots of 'em), and craigslist often has daily passes that people buy beforehand or get from work or something but can't go ... those are usually around 50% off.

Anyone claiming this place isn't that great for biking, however, is downright stupid. Bicker about pricing, how idiotic all the staff are, how getting here blows ... but the actual terrain is expansive, varied, and well kept. Their features are top notch as well.

Slightly askew
    Snowshoe as an option? Its no Whistler, but still has tons of tech DH, a fun jump trail, and rooms for like $60 at the bottom of the mtn.Plus there is alot of backcountry all mtn riding. From LA it might be drivable in a LONG day. Just a suggestion.
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

A few comments . . .

First, it is expensive because it IS Whistler. I went in 2006 and it was a blast. In my opinion, Whistler should be on every mtbers "bucket list". For comparison, have also been to Sun Peaks, Panorama, Bromont QC, Mt. Ste Anne QC, and Blue Mountain, ON. All less busy, less developed, cheaper, different vibe, and fun but in different ways. Not sure I'd want to ride Whistler every week but still glad I tried it before I was too old to survive it . . .

Unless you live nearby and day trip it, hard to do Whistler on the cheap. Helps if many are sharing a condo and you eat in but even then, figure at least $150 - $200 Cdn per day + bike rental.

To save some money:
    - In addition to the condo sites mentioned, try www.alluradirect.com/whistler/. Got a nice unit there in winter for 1/3 the rate of hotels.
    - negotiate: economy is soft right now and Whistler had a poor winter season so should be possible to get better deals. Try to get a weekly rate for room and bike rental.
    - fly in to Vancouver, then bus/shuttle to Whistler (no car rental or parking costs).
    - limit time in Whistler by coming early/riding day 1 and ride/leave late on last day (2 extra days riding without the extra room costs).
    - consider camping. Might be tough if you are flying in though.
    - try valley trails. Lots of fun and they are free.
    - on the front or back end, get a cheap room for a couple days in North Vancouver and try the shore trails on Mt Seymour, Fromme and Cypress. They are free!!

Also, lots of good trip info at forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=259958

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Our trip this years consists of Silver Star for 2 days, Whistler for 3 days, and the Shore for 2 days. We do it every year, sometimes twice. If you have enough people its not that spendy.

Members who have read this thread: 0