Whistler & Armor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Whistler & Armor

Good Morning-
    My Wife and I are headed to Whistler the second week ok June and will be hitting up the bike park. Both her and I are XC riders from the east coast, this will be our first time trying Downhill. So my question is besides full face helmet, googles, knee/elbow pads is there any other armor we might need? Second question is for those in the Delaware/Maryland area, do you know of anywhere to buy? Lastly I have been looking at Six Six One products, but they seem a litle expensive (keep in mind I am ne of those guys who will pay for quality and my basis for them being expensive is just specualtion), any other recommended products?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snowshoes

Just kidding
    I would bring the equipment that you will feel confident in.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I would say that helmet, knee and elbow pads is the minimum requirement. Anything else might just give you more confidence. It also depends on how hard you ride and which trails.

You can rent pretty much anything in Whistler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you've never done that kind of riding, more armour is always good. Instead of replacing an aging Dainese suit I bought a neck brace this year instead.

Whistler bike shops will have a much better selection of all this stuff than your local shop. Plus you can rent a lot of it.

Rent a proper downhill bike. Your XC bike will thank you for saving the wear and tear. And I guarantee you will have more fun. Fanatyk Co, Evolution and others have amazing bikes you can rent.

There is amazing XC riding in the Whistler valley as well.

enjoys skidding
    Quote Originally Posted by asin
    Rent a proper downhill bike. Your XC bike will thank you for saving the wear and tear. And I guarantee you will have more fun. Fanatyk Co, Evolution and others have amazing bikes you can rent.
    Definitely agree with renting a proper bike for the riding unless you have at least something like a 6" bike.

I wouldn't discredit the G1 Rental bikes - at that time of year you'll probably get a bike that hasn't even been ridden before, and on top of that the spec of them is pretty awesome this year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd just rent whatever armor you feel you'll need when you get to Whistler.

Fanatyk is a great place to rent. You should also think about buying a brocard at NSMB.com You can save 10% on your rentals at several shops and get discounted tickets at Whistler.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Leatt Brace! Everytime I go back, I see more and more neck braces being used.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by asin
    Whistler bike shops will have a much better selection of all this stuff than your local shop. Plus you can rent a lot of it.
    too expensive....you will save up to 50% buying in the states

buy your armor....don't rent it....in the long run it is cheaper
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Rent bikes!!! It's definitely the way to go. Saves on shipping, bike maintenance, and your body. On top of that it will allow you to do things that you would have never imagined yourself doing on a bicycle.

As for armor, I know many places on the East Coast throw in Helmet, elbow, and knee pads with bike rental. Personally, I would say go with leg armor that covers from knee all the way down to ankle. You'll feel like a real dumb-dumb-head if you get knee pads, slip a pedal and tear the heck out of your shin.

Make sure you have some well-padded full-finger gloves. Two sets that I LOVE are:

SPESHY BG Gel: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57908

GIRO Remedy: http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/c...rt/remedy.html

The Specialized has more palm padding but no armor over your fingers for punching trees. The Giro glove has a bit less padding (but still nice) but gives you nice padding over your outside fingers just in case one of those trees jumps out to clip your bars.

Hope this helps.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    my wife and I both wear full upper body gear with leg pads. nothing sucks more than hurting yourself the first day and ruining your trip when i could've been prevented.

while it's best to have a DH bike, I don't really think you need to. if you are more comfortable on your bikes you have then I don't see why you wouldn't ride them. nothing worse for me than jumping on a bike that isn't set up the way I like it. I rode with a guy last year and he was on a full rigid 29er. and because you said it is going to be your first time, i doubt you are going to be pushing your current bike to it's limits.

as for 661, it's okay. i used to wear the 661 pressure suit but found the arm pads moved around too much. I have since switched to Thor upper body gear I got from you local motorcross shop. Cheaper and fits better than my old pressure suit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for all the info.

We're def renting bikes while we're out there. I just didn't want to rent Armor/Helmets.

I think I'm gonna go with shoes from Five Ten (Maltese Falcon), Helmet, Elbow pads and Knee/Shin pads from SIx SIx One, and maybe the Specialized gloves noted above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you rent a DH bike and don't enjoy it go to Fantlyk Bike Shop and rent yourself a Norco Range or Norco's 29er. There's alot of good XC trails in the valley. The River, Lost Lake and Comfortable Numb are a good introduction to riding in the valley

If you end up riding the valley more than the park pick up the guide book written by Brian Finestone. It's pretty detailed and well written. The guide book helped me find alot of awesome trails to ride when the lift lines are packed on the weekends.

I live in Baltimore and spend at least every Feburary and July in Whistler. I buy all my DH stuff in Whistler. Our area doesn't even know what DH is! Where are you going to find better selection and advice than Whistler village? Prices are a liitle higher but you can try stuff on and see how it feels. I guess you could go off what other riders like and than order it online or to your LBS. Hope that works out for you.

Other other thing you'll need in June is a snow shovel and mud tires. If you go next year try July or August. The trails are drier and the whole park will be open. On the bright side if you're going in June you should enjoy sunset being at 11:30pm!
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    if you haven't done any DH, then you might want to take it easy. IMO, armor ain't a replacement for the skills that are required for the difficult DH trails. Don't let armor give you a false sense of invincability though.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    If you do rent the bikes and the armour get yourself a lesson too. The pricing is such that a lesson on top of the full-package is about 5 to 10 more. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler_guy
    my wife and I both wear full upper body gear with leg pads. nothing sucks more than hurting yourself the first day and ruining your trip when i could've been prevented.

while it's best to have a DH bike, I don't really think you need to. if you are more comfortable on your bikes you have then I don't see why you wouldn't ride them. nothing worse for me than jumping on a bike that isn't set up the way I like it. I rode with a guy last year and he was on a full rigid 29er. and because you said it is going to be your first time, i doubt you are going to be pushing your current bike to it's limits.

as for 661, it's okay. i used to wear the 661 pressure suit but found the arm pads moved around too much. I have since switched to Thor upper body gear I got from you local motorcross shop. Cheaper and fits better than my old pressure suit.
    I don't think many people have great fun in the bike park on a rigid 29er. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. No one needs 8" of travel, Podium owner, but we have it because it makes things more fun.

If you're in town for multiple days you can usually make an arrangement in advance to ensure that the bikes are set up correctly for you. Plus many shops will take the bikes back overnight and tune them for you.

As for being unfamiliar. Well you should definitely take it easy up there the first day so that's a perfect time to get used to a different bike. Riding the bike park on a suitable bike is part of what makes it fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0