whistler 08 - accommodation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

whistler 08 - accommodation

hey all, not sure of this is the right forum but, wondering if any of you who have been to whistler / residents can help me out. The wife and I are thinking of using all our leave next year in one go and spending as much time as we can in whistler!

Does any one know any cheap accommodation? I mean I dont want to stay in a hotel for like 2 months and not sure what the deal would be on short term rentals? I have seen some self catering places but they are all luxury deals which are just too expensive.

also if you had the option to spend around two months there which two months would you choose?

Glad to Be Alive
    Aug/sept = less rain pushing it till they close the mountain.

Obliviously you want to rent a place...no hotel.....you might want to look into where the workers stay.....it is very cheap
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Just roll it......
    What shiver said. Employee housing is cheap during the summer since a big chunk of it is vacant after winter. Units vary depending on what you're looking for. Check with Whistler on rates. Mintsauce stayed there for a couple of weeks this summer......his unit was a group place, but he was the only one in it the entire time. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'd give you more info.

Also, there's a couple of hostels in town that are reasonable as well. One of them is on Alta Lake, so you have access to canoes and kayaks and great swimming.
    http://www.hihostels.ca/pm/en/whistl...?sortcode=2.15

Cheers,
    EB

There's no app for this.

here's a search

engine that we locals use. Good luck, Jim

http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks guys, many thanks for the response, links etc, i will drop mintsauce a PM.

So the weather is generally better towards the end of season, how are the trails by this time? In the Swiss / French alps where we normally ride, they tend to get cut up real bad, but I read that the whistler guys take more time on maintenance is this true?

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Hey DW....

You can be pretty sure you'll have your own place if it's two of you. The units are pretty decent, everything you need is there....fridge ,microwave , oven, all utensils, laundry facilities etc.

You're allowed to take your bike inside as well.

You can email Sarah Mulholland [email protected]

You have to go to their website to register for the accommodation and then use your registartion number when making the booking.

here http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/emp...ence/index.htm

Hope that helps....let me know if you have any other questions!

Mint

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    Hey DW....

You can be pretty sure you'll have your own place if it's two of you. The units are pretty decent, everything you need is there....fridge ,microwave , oven, all utensils, laundry facilities etc.

You're allowed to take your bike inside as well.

good news about taking your bikes in I plan to take two with me!! Do you know the rough cost per night? man, many thanks for this looks exactly what we need

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deadweb
    Do you know the rough cost per night?
    Doh! should have checked the site, this was 480p/m that is super cheap... so you think we would get a 2 person unit?

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Cost was about $15 per person per night. You have to pay a damage deposit which is $200 but as long as you don't damage anything it's refunded within 2 weeks after you leave.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ace, thats a steal!!! how far from the lift?

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    I was there during Crankworx which is supposedly the busiest time in the biking season and I had a 3 person/two bedroom unit all to myself. It can't be guarenteed, but it seems highly likely that you'll have your own place.

If you contact them, make sure to ask about the 'Stay & Play' promotions. They started running them this year. It's some sort of package deal that includes a bikepark pass i think....don't know the specific details though

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    It's on top of quite a steep hill, but it's 5-10min walk to the village/lift, 1min ride to the lift down. There are busses that run the route to the staff housing all day and all the buses are fitted with bikeracks so no need to ride up the hill. Since it's staff housing the route is subsidised by the municipality so it's 50c a trip....bargain

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    man, can it get any better 50c for a bus ride + the favorable exchange rate for us in the UK!!! It will be my wife's first time downhilling proper, I hope its not going to be too much for her. From what I have read its a good place to learn..

Flyin' low
    Another option would be Vacation Rentals By Owner. Privatly owned condo's, you rent directly from the owner. Might be a little more comfy and most are right in the village. You could also negtiate directly with the owner for extended stays. Check VRBO.com, lots of options. Altho, employee housing sounds very cheap. Might look into that for next year myself.

If pro is the opposite of con, then progress is the opposite of congress?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Huitt
    Another option would be Vacation Rentals By Owner. Privatly owned condo's, you rent directly from the owner. Might be a little more comfy and most are right in the village. You could also negtiate directly with the owner for extended stays.
    Yep, this is what JimC. suggests above. alluradirect.com is the best option for that in Whistler.

Cheers,
    EB

Pivotal figure

how are the trails by this time

I went up right after Crankworx and the trails were a bit beat up, mostly braking bumps. The guys were doing repairs but it takes time. I think if you check the schedule and either go before or maybe 2 weeks after the bigger events you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Yep, this is what JimC. suggests above. alluradirect.com is the best option for that in Whistler.
    thanks I will check it out, could be a little expensive for me. You all think 1 / 2 months in the staff accommodation would be too much, a bit uncomfortable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks, we will try and go either side of any major events. I reckon it would be cool to see but IMHO I would rather ride than watch, thats what DVD's are for.

break bumps are fine and I suppose to be expected, just wondered if they get real messed up like the les gets runs, or anything in the alps - long, 1ft deep crappy sections which just ruin the line and your run.. I have nothing against mud btw

Just roll it......
    break bumps are fine and I suppose to be expected, just wondered if they get real messed up like the les gets runs, or anything in the alps - long, 1ft deep crappy sections which just ruin the line and your run.. I have nothing against mud btw
    No, you will NEVER see brake bumps in Whistler like you'll see in Les Gets, Morzine, etc. There would be a total revolt if the park maintenance got that bad. Seriously. Nothing against the portes du soleil region, but trail maintenance isn't one of their strong suits.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    man thats good news, I was sooo pissed this year in FR / CH with the quality of the trails, they did practically nothing to maintain them which sucks!

There's no app for this.

just and fyi

as I'm sure others will agree, Whizzler is in a temperate rain forest, so rain happens.

Extended stays mean: bring a rain jacket, clear goggles, and a front fender. New tires work best, Whizzler mud is a bit clay-like, and tires can pack up and skid easily.

Good luck, Jim

Lord of the Chainrings
    Any RV parks nearby?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

There's no app for this.

you can

Google Whistler, they allow parking in some lots. Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks Jim, I need a new pair of clear goggles so this is a great excuse How wet can it get, how was the season this year? the French / Swiss alps were a total washout and it became a pain to ride..

re: RV, you think we could hire something? Would by bikes be at risk in a RVpark?

"Its All Good"
    thanks Jim, I need a new pair of clear goggles so this is a great excuse How wet can it get, how was the season this year? the French / Swiss alps were a total washout and it became a pain to ride..

re: RV, you think we could hire something? Would by bikes be at risk in a RVpark?
    DW, I would ensure you go during CrankWorx............. The place is rocking bro..... It is nto that crowded, what you can do is, catch the lift to the mid way, then go to the top, and just ride top to midway, not too many people up there....

The trails are in awesome condition, I dont buy intot he fact there is loads of brake bumps, on 1 or 2 lower trails, there is the odd entry to a corner, nothing really.... I ride at Vallnord in Andorra, that is braking bumps!!

You will have a rocking time bro, your riding will progress hugely, 2 months would be the ducks nuts! ENJOY
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    dude... sounds nutts, what are the trails like from top to mid?

seems like EU has all the brake bumps

cant wait, the only issue is I have to! At least there is boarding to look forward too!

"Its All Good"
    dude... sounds nutts, what are the trails like from top to mid?

seems like EU has all the brake bumps

cant wait, the only issue is I have to! At least there is boarding to look forward too!
    For me, I like the top to mid trails more than the lower trails..... It kinda depends if you are more into jumping than Tech lines etc...

The A Line trail is a blast, jumps the whole way down. But no tech rock faces etc to go down........Original, Fatcrobat, In Deep are awesome in my book......

It is a must to go to Whistler at least once in your life!

The trails here in the EU, or Vallnord for example are far harder in my opinion, purely for the fact that the terrain is harder, more rocker, more ruts, steep and of course BRAKING BUMPS for Africa...................After I rode Whistler, got back to Spain and went up to Vallnord, it sucked the big cucumber!

Got used to it again...

The vibe and atmosphere is awesome at Whistler too..... It is like a snowboarding trip with your mates, except you have your bike..............

I rented a Condo, was not has cheap as Minty had it, but his was a sweet setup. Mine was cheaper than a hotel though. I like to be able to have breakfast etc at the pad, saves heaps of money......... I let 2 mates crash there as well which saved them some bucks...

I liked the fact I was just out of the main town centre too, it is noisy, hey am not a nerd at all, but when I am focked, like to get some sleep............ It is tiring riding all day and everyday.....

You will need to ride the North Shore to, Mt Fromme etc, that will blow your mind, kinda where it all started. Seeing the gap where Bender busted his back, mind blowing.....

Do a search on Whistler, you will see some awesome pictures, just have to wait now.....

Alll good
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Google Whistler, they allow parking in some lots. Jim
    True, you can overnight park your RV in lot 4. One thing though is that they don't want people camping in lot 4 (that's what the signs say). Well, of course, people are camping in lot 4 in their RV's, but they're just not very obvious about it. As a result, you won't see hibachi's outside their campers or people lounging on lawn chairs, but they are definitely camping in them. I've camped 4 or 5 nights in lot 4 this year, but my eurovan has a pop top and is totally obvious that I'm sleeping in there.

Last time up, I finally had a notice put on my windshield telling me to go camp at Riverside resort (RV campground)......

Cheers,
    EB

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    True, you can overnight park your RV in lot 4. One thing though is that they don't want people camping in lot 4 (that's what the signs say). Well, of course, people are camping in lot 4 in their RV's, but they're just not very obvious about it. As a result, you won't see hibachi's outside their campers or people lounging on lawn chairs, but they are definitely camping in them. I've camped 4 or 5 nights in lot 4 this year, but my eurovan has a pop top and is totally obvious that I'm sleeping in there.

Last time up, I finally had a notice put on my windshield telling me to go camp at Riverside resort (RV campground)......

Cheers,
    EB
    Naughty Naughty Mr EBX ans Mrs CBX..........................

There's no app for this.

sorry dunno

re: RV, you think we could hire something? Would by bikes be at risk in a RV park?
    I couldn't rid this summer due to medical blah blah blah, but check EBextreme's post, you can park in lot 4 but NO camping, he suggests riverside, but I know squat about it as I'm lucky enough to be a relative local 1 hour's drive away.

Good luck, Jim

Oh, it can wet enough to be discouraging, but rainstorms are often short. Just aim for July Aug. Sept and cross yer fingers.

Jim

There's no app for this.

top to mid

is steep technical trail riding primarily. Up top takes more techical skill than down below I'm told by local instructors. Mid to bottom is the stuff we all see on TV. you can see a good ( a bit old) vid at petefagerlin.com, look for the Whistler vid from 2002 I think.

Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0