Is Whistler *that* much more enjoyable on a DH Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is Whistler *that* much more enjoyable on a DH Bike?

Firstly apologies for a question that seems to be brought up before. Just looking to get more specific.

I have a higher end enduro bike. Yeti 150 with DHX2, Vorsprung, Cushcore, DH casings. Its really setup to be bomb proof and go downhill as quick as possible while being able to get up the mountain.

Which brings me to the DH question.

Ive been thinking about investing into a DH bike for shuttle days and trips overseas to Whistler / Queenstown / Tasmania etc. Is Whistler / bike parks that much better on a DH bike - or is the Yeti good enough?

Ive never ridden a DH bike before - so im unsure to what is feels like to ride.

Im from Australia - so its kinda limited on the DH trails we have. https://www.maydenabikepark.com/ down in Tasmania would be the most DH orientated park we have.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    If you stay on the flow trails at Whistler then yes, a properly setup enduro bike is all you need, and maybe even better than a full DH bike. That said, the technical trails will wear you down, especially if youíre getting the massive vert all the way off the top of Garbonzo to the bottom.

Iíve only ever ridden 180mm freeride/light DH bikes there thoughó never a full DH bike (never owned one). I rode everything there and had a great time.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    THANK YOU for changing that title, I was about to have a grammar aneurysm.
    Oh, the Yeti would be hella fun on 90%, the other ten more so on a DH. Maybe just rent a few days, how long will you be there, a season?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    THANK YOU for changing that title, I was about to have a grammar aneurysm.
    Oh, the Yeti would be hella fun on 90%, the other ten more so on a DH. Maybe just rent a few days, how long will you be there, a season?
    im actually thinking about doing the summer gravity adult camp. they have DH and Enduro camps available. i *was* leaning towards the DH camp as we just dont really get to do that here in Australia (more jumps).

after that i was going to stay on another week in whistler and just use the bike to its full extent.

back here in auz, im really limited to shuttle days etc.

I was considering a Commencal Supreme: https://www.commencal-store.com.au/s...re-c2x28627346

mtbr member
    An enduro bike will never replace a bike specifically designed to go downhill only.

With that said if you donít have a reason locally to ride a DH bike itíll be good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    It comes down to your budgeting too, if you can pick up another bike no problem and have the space too, go for it. It is better, but every year the margin gets smaller as trails bikes get more capable.

If you ask me though, if you don't have places you'd need it at home it would be kind of silly to spend thousands on something only for when you travel, and even then a trip to BC you should have a trail bike too because there's lots to ride. And travelling with two bikes would be a pain!

Rent one and see what you think!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    you should have a trail bike too because there's lots to ride. And travelling with two bikes would be a pain!
    Thatís my viewpoint too. When I travel I like to ride both trails and park. Managing two bikes would get annoying in a hurry so I just use a long travel enduro style bike that can handle everything.

mtbr member
    I know of some who have nice trail bikes and live near bike parks (Queenstown and Christchurch) who've bought used DH bikes just because park riding can beat the daylights out of a bike. So they figure they may as well thrash the beater and save the nice bike for when you need to pedal up.

mtbr member
    A rig will forgive more errors than an enduro bike. So you will be able to hit the gnar safer with less chance of crashing. But it will only be the most chungery of lines that you are actually faster. For the most part your enduro bike will be faster. It will take more abuse before it brakes too.

The upper limit of what is possible is higher on the rig. There will be some parts of the bike park that the enduro bike can't clean or it's just too risky to try.

But the rig will suck more on the easier trails and be less playfull on the jumps and be useless in any flat/up.

Second hand rigs are cheap as chips so picking one up for less than $2k is easy as.

Also I like the idea of taking your enduro bike that will be sweet for 80% of the park and hiring a rid for a day or 2.

Lastly the gap between rig and park build enduro is getting smaller and smaller....
    My slayer with 180mm up front is faster down all off my local dh tracks and is more fun. Sure there's some real chungery features the rid can slam through better. But the overall fun factor is higher on the slayer.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onawave View Post
    im actually thinking about doing the summer gravity adult camp. they have DH and Enduro camps available. i *was* leaning towards the DH camp as we just dont really get to do that here in Australia (more jumps).

after that i was going to stay on another week in whistler and just use the bike to its full extent.

back here in auz, im really limited to shuttle days etc.

I was considering a Commencal Supreme: https://www.commencal-store.com.au/s...re-c2x28627346
    Dude you're flying around the world to do 2 weeks of mtb in the best place. Buy the DH bike. Enjoy a fresh bike on a trip you're already throwing down $$$ on. If you decide it's not for you i'm sure someone will buy a 2-week-old bike off you. Worst thing, you found out you don't need a DH bike, and you kept 2 weeks of bike park laps off your yeti. It doesn't matter if you Need it, there's like no risk.

Super jealous, btw.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Also I like the idea of taking your enduro bike that will be sweet for 80% of the park and hiring a rid for a day or 2.
    This.. Take your Yeti and enjoy it. Then maybe rent a DH bike for a couple days in the park when you want to just see how the DH bike feels or when you want to try some of the bigger, higher consequence lines. Plus the SB150 will be perfect for all the non-park, West-side, Creek Side, Valley trails you might do..

I've been tempted by the low, blow-out prices on 1-2 year old DH bikes I see in the classifieds, but I don't have any lift served stuff near me so it would sit most of the year.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Way too many cool trails in the Whistler area to be limited to the park on a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Screw the park at Whistler. Ride Squamish, that's where the fun's at!
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Screw the park at Whistler. Ride Squamish, that's where the fun's at!
    thats on the cards too. i was thinking about staying a bit longer and doing a guided tour.