Whip trouble with clipless pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Whip trouble with clipless pedals

Ok so I have been doing some freeriding and using my crank brothers candies with xc shoes. If I go to whip I come unclipped. Is this technique or is this the pedals? I currently have my clips in the 15 degree release angle.

Some Assembly Required
    Sounds like your rotating past yer 15. I ride the old Shimano 646's, (best clipless pedz for fr/dh, imo), & the same happens to me, but generally only one foot comes loose. I just got used to doin one footerz. This allows you "add" a trick to your repertoire", if you will.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, it is very hard to whip with clipless. Flats are much better for freeriding
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Are the cleats old or worn down a bit? When I used to ride clipless I noticed that when I put fresh cleats on my shoes they were way more secure once clipped in. Candies are also more XC-type pedals, so you could try something like the Mallets if you're into Crank Bros.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Get rid of clips! <EOM>
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56 View Post
    Yes, it is very hard to whip with clipless. Flats are much better for freeriding

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand View Post
    Sounds like your rotating past yer 15. I ride the old Shimano 646's, (best clipless pedz for fr/dh, imo), & the same happens to me, but generally only one foot comes loose. I just got used to doin one footerz. This allows you "add" a trick to your repertoire", if you will.
    Yeah, if you check out videos of riders doing whips, the foot rotates quite a lot on the pedal, easily enough to pop you out.

It's worth noting that CB cleats are easier to release as they wear, but Shimano/Wellgo/Victor/etc. require MORE effort to release as they wear. It's counterintuitive, but it's how the pedals are designed.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    pedals have nothing to do with can or can't whhipp, U just don't have the technique down yet. it starts with the shoulders, then hips, then feet.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    This is the correct answer.

Yes, you can whip on clips in some cases, but why not just get rid of them altogether and not worry about it?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Yeah, if you check out videos of riders doing whips, the foot rotates quite a lot on the pedal, easily enough to pop you out.

Yes, that's fonetic
    In this video you can see a couple guys with clipless pedals, but the vast majority are on flats (and one in slippers).
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://mpora.com/videos/AAdk48w2ckiq/embed" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="http://mpora.com/videos/AAdk48w2ckiq">Dirt TV: Crankworx Whip off Worlds </a> a <a href="http://mpora.com/mountainbiking">Mountain Biking video by orpheusproductions</a></p>

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID View Post
    pedals have nothing to do with can or can't whhipp, U just don't have the technique down yet.
    You are retarded.