Where should a downhiller live? Opinions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Where should a downhiller live? Opinions?

I'm looking around for a good place for a downhiller to live year round. A place with resort downhilling in the Summer. And riding options during the Winter to keep the skills up.
    Living in Whistler year round is obviously not an option, since I would assume the Winter riding is non existent.

I've lived in the Denver, CO area for many years and it ways a pretty good place to be a downhiller.
    - A few good downhill ski resorts
    - big biking community
    - some cross country trails and jump parks ridable in the sunny Winters
    - Moab weekend trips for Fall and Spring riding

I'm currently in Oregon and the 2 downhill ski resorts are weak. The two downhill/freeride shuttle spots are good. But Fall/Winter riding here, so far, has been cold and very wet.

So what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Where in Oregon are you?

I've shuttled mt. Hood from mid-mountain down in the middle of the winter. A little bit of snow for about 15 minutes then it was all good.

I'd throw in Southern Or based on the fact that you can do half mountain shuttles on Mt. Ashland and I've heard rumors of other trails up there that are pretty fun.

Auburn CA is low enough that it doesn't get a ton of snow in the winter (my best guess anyway) and in the summer you're about an hour from Northstar.

Santa Barbera/SLO in CA are pretty much sunny and warm year round but no restorts.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Glad to Be Alive
    6 hours to resorts.....but SoCal has year around riding...70-80 degrees since Christmas
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Denver would be my #1 choice for year round riding.

The northeast has a ton of DH riding but the winter usually means no riding at all with this year being an exception. Albany, NY is a few hours from a ton of lift access DH places and Syracuse, NY is building a place like Rays.

EDIT: New York State is run by crooks, I would live in Vermont on the New York Border.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    6 hours to resorts.....but SoCal has year around riding...70-80 degrees since Christmas
    Not the best for DH, around here at least.
    Mammoth isn't far away. But not year round. This year though you probably have year round riding with the conditions though
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    I think I would move to Whistler and learn to snowboard for the winter activity. I'm in Oregon too so I understand your statement about ski resorts for summer DH.

CO, would be my second choice for remaining in the states.

(I do snowboard so Whistler makes perfect sense to me.)
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My understanding from talking with Whistler locals is that the mountains get snowed in but the valleys and shore often get much less and it generally melts off quickly. So while even late July might see the top of the mountain still snowed in on an average year, its not unheard of to ride nearly all winter. I would presume that would mean more XC and fewer DH options during winter
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    some quotes from the BC forum hereapologies for not crediting OP's):

The North Shore mountain tops are around 3900'+ so even if its raining at sea level it usually will fall as snow on the mountains, but we also get warm air inversions which means we can have temps near 32F at sea level and 50F on the mountain tops. The mountains here and in Whistler are also prone to fog outs where visibility can drop dramatically.

This year(2010) on the coast there's been no snow to complicate riding. Last winter there was 4' of snow everywhere from December to February (1 in 14 year winter). The Vancouver area is the mildest spot in Canada (also one of the most expensive to live in

We're riding all over on Vancouver Island, this year(2010), and we only had about 3 weeks last year
    we got shut down from snow. Out weather on the south island is a bit more mild than Vancouver.
    We have less rain, warmer temps, more sun and less Prius drivers.

posted Feb 2010: in Victoria we ride all year around. We may get a freak snowstorm...but it NEVER lasts. I was out in my t-shirt and shorts last week...it was awesome.

Do I need to tell anyone where I'm hoping to retire to??
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Albuquerque? Not sure if Sandia gives you what you need, but great options year round.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterD View Post
    Mammoth isn't far away. But not year round. This year though you probably have year round riding with the conditions though
    you just got to know where to ride
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    If you live at the top of the hill you can hit the run first thing but you have to make the last trip of the day going up. If you live at the bottom of the hill you have to start out with a shuttle but your last run is always a descent.

If if you live in a spot with decent weather year round it seems to be pretty far from the hills. If you are on a mountain you can expect a few months of snow and no riding.

Location wise I think New Zealand may have it all. It's just so far away from everywhere else though (which is a plus to some people).

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz View Post
    I'm currently in Oregon and the 2 downhill ski resorts are weak. The two downhill/freeride shuttle spots are good.
    1) Wait for Timberline to get their ducks in a row, limited open next summer. Full open 2013.

2) Only 2 DH/FR spots? How big is your range, 30 miles? I can think of 4 within an hour of Portland.

3) Good? Is Blackrock on the list?

Big Hittin'
    Just moved to LA.

Year round riding but you have to climb for the DH.

if you wanna do hardcore DH, live in a town with a DH bike park resort...duh!
    29er's are Goofy

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterD View Post
    Mammoth isn't far away.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    Just moved to LA.

Year round riding but you have to climb for the DH.

if you wanna do hardcore DH, live in a town with a DH bike park resort...duh!
    Double LOL!

That being said, I'd pick either Bellingham or Santa Barbara for DH-ing. The trails in SB aren't the BEST, but they are long, reasonably challenging, plus open year round with perfect weather. Oh and I get to live and work just a few minutes from the beach too. You've got 2 lift access resorts within 3.5 hours, and more within a few years maybe. Plus Mammoth and northstar are within a days drive. China Peak might be opening next summer. Plus you have 1 MILLION shuttle places you can do day trips too, world class road riding, and unlimited XC and moto.

Bellingham has better trails without a doubt, and is near Whistler. Plus you have Gilbrath which is basically IN TOWN and you can pedal to it (holy cow those trails are awesome for public trails!). But the area probably isn't as nice and the weather not quite as good. But rent is probably about a 1/2 to 1/3 of SB.
    Last edited by Gemini2k05; 01-04-2012 at 09:07 PM.