Where to ride around LA after rain?- Mtbr.com
    always learning

Where to ride around LA after rain?

Do you guys know any place in or around LA that I can ride right after it rains without doing any damage? I've always got my trusty urban landscape as a backup but I'll need my trail fix between storms.

mtbr member

post rain

Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    Do you guys know any place in or around LA that I can ride right after it rains without doing any damage? I've always got my trusty urban landscape as a backup but I'll need my trail fix between storms.
    it is tough to avoid doing "damage" in the post-rain world. however, there are some ok places to go. i like sulivan canyon and the fireroads and singletrack nearby (like on westridge). the fireroads tend to drain and dry quickly due to the way they are made and their sun exposure. the canyon itself has a ton of rock/gravel surface that is not as easily turned to mud.

ride hard.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    i went up to the whoops right after it rained (like a day after ) and it was dry... the only part that wasn't was the beginning section that is in shade, but who does that part anyway? lol

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Angeles, pretty much anything up on the frontside of Angeles National Forest, like Mt. Loew, Sturdevant, Redbox-JPL. You can ride those places during a rain and you'll be fine. All those are like 11-14 miles almost all downhill. Just bring a bell and be courteous to hikers; we don't want our trails closed down

Glad to Be Alive
    stay away from the clay soils...look for sandstone type soils.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Much of the Santa Monica's are ready to ride after the rain. The fire road climbs and the singletrack next to the roads(which are actually fire breaks)both abosrb water very well.

Try Sullivan ridge, Sullivan canyon, Westridge, and Kenter. However, the whoops need a couple days to dry since there are depressions in front of many of the jumps which puddle up.

Getting back into it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    However, the whoops need a couple days to dry since there are depressions in front of many of the jumps which puddle up.
    If I can get some motivation, I'll be headed up to our "favorite local jump spot" sans bike to survey the rain damage and maybe do a little repair if necessary in an hour or so. If not today then probably tomorrow morning. I'm hoping I don't see any ugly tire grooves leading into the jump faces...