Where To Move?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Where To Move?

shred
    Feb 2008

Where To Move?

im nearing the end of highschool and i am wondering where to move to( perferably in the western half of the us) my riding style is very adgressive and i love smooth landings. My favorite trails and super fast and flowy singletrack and high quality jumps and freeride. i want to know where the best place to live so i can go to lots of places to shred that arent too far.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    hmmmm you sound like a socal / AZ / southwest lover IMO.

ill tell you that im trying to get to Portland or Seattle ASAP Seattle has that new bikepark under the overpasses thing and I find it crazy how Free-ride friendly that area is (or seems to be) But I also loved riding in Flagstaff Sedona and Moab a few years back if you like buff singletrack Flagstaff is great but its more XC-AM stuff. Flag is almost consistantly 10deg cooler than sedona, and the riding styles are very different. the 2 towns are like 20min appart so its a diverse area.
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

shred
    Feb 2008
    ya i lived in san diego till i was 14 but i olny got a few good rides in cuz i moved to florida not long after i got my trek remedy. I liked the trails there but those intense rock gardens and un-eroded terrain was a bit much but ive gotten alot of skillz since then. my next bikes are going to be a banshee scirocco and or wildcard.

Locs on Spokez
    Santa Cruz, California.

No competition....
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    Santa Cruz, California.

No competition....
    i second that

hmmmm
    Santa Cruz or somewhere in the bay area if you don't mind a little drive you got N*, SC, and Mammoth all within few hrs drive.

shred
    Feb 2008
    i was just checking it out on google earth and videos and it looks pretty sick. wheres the nearest freeride park. and how is the tree population because here in florida its just suicide going over 15 mph

hmmmm
    depends on what you mean by "Park"

shred
    Feb 2008
    like made for bikes and u have to pay usualy.

mtbr member
    he means a resort

Ahahaha
    Oct 2007
    Santa Cruz, California.

No competition....
    dont move to santa cruz.

JK! DO IT!!!

hmmmm
    closest resort riding would be Northstar and Mammoth (mammoth is a bit farther) N* is like 4 hrs? 3 maybe from the bay area. little more if you acutally live down in SC

shred
    Feb 2008
    idk ive never been to a place like that becuase its like 4 hours away and 6 to the good one. but ive built all kinds of north shore obstacles

hmmmm
    theres plenty of freeride stuff around SC most of you just gotta find or know someone to show you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KomodoRider
    hmmmm you sound like a socal / AZ / southwest lover IMO.

ill tell you that im trying to get to Portland or Seattle ASAP Seattle has that new bikepark under the overpasses
    dude, I read an article online about a proposal to throw a lift access bike park on Yamhill near Portland. Of course in Seattle you're only 4 and a half hours from Whistler and a few other choice parks, including i'm sure Stevens once everything goes through for them in 2010.

mtbr member
    Why not Denver?
    You got Keystone, Winter Park and SolVista. Winter Park is trying to improve quickly . Moab is 5.5 hours away. Plus the mountains have a ton o' singletrack.

Santa Cruz is a great place but it doesn't seem that easy to get to the goods. But the surf is killer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

college

depends on where you are going to college.

shred
    Feb 2008
    im going to a technical tradeschool instead of college but not sure where but ill get the info soon

mtbr member
    Wormvine, I don't know what you're talking about by the trails being far to get to. There's awesome mountain biking pretty much ten minutes from anywhere in Santa Cruz. If all you want to do is lift accessed riding then move to Tahoe, but Santa Cruz has some of the most buttery flowy trails around. You want shuttle runs, the Bay area has it. Hike-a-bike, the Bay Area has it. Epic xc trails... well i don't think I ned to repeat myself again.

But if you are really into the outdoors in general check out Humboldt County, more specifically Arcata. It rains a lot up there in the Pacific Northwest (about 6 months of fog, grey skies, drizzle, and a few heavy showers here and there). The temperature deviation from winter to summer is only like 20 degrees (never colder than 38 in the winter, never hotter than 75-80 in the summer). But on the plus side, there is EPIC backcountry dh shuttle runs all over the place (alls you gotta do is find them), some of the best and tackiest dirt that your tires will EVER touch period, and lots of epic trailriding too with suuuuper sweet and techy dh singletrack. There are jumps, freeridey stuff, and all kinds of general goodness.

Oh and if you like camping, backpacking, hiking, whitewater rafting, kayaking (of all kinds), surfing, and/or rock climbing... well Humboldt county is simply the Bee's knees.

sixsixtysix
    Cross Arizona off the list. AZ isn't the place for you if you like smooth, fast single track. All we have here is uber gnar rocks, sand and rattlesnakes.

The fact that I live .4 miles from the base of my local mountain and have DH trails at my disposal pretty much to myself every day does make it a little more tolerable though

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN MAN
    im going to a technical tradeschool instead of college but not sure where but ill get the info soon
    I would put priority on a place that can offer you lessons on how to communicate. You know, the kind that makes people think you learned something in the HS you're graduating from.

Just move to SoCal and be done with it.

percocet pioneer.
    Sounds like you would fit into Colorado pretty well....

TLL
    mtbr member

not trying to harsh your mellow

What trade are you going in to?

Doood, pick the best trade school you can get into, and worry about riding later.

Priorities. Get some.

shred
    Feb 2008
    santa cruz sounds really nice and humbolt sounds super nice im definatly going to check those places out in depth and thats probly exactly what im looking for. thanks a bunch dudes

shred
    Feb 2008
    Is there any place there that is cheaper to live than others? in santacruz

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    salt lake sounds like what you are looking for
    jeremy
    owner of Digital bike co

Ahahaha
    Oct 2007
    santa cruz county is pretty expensive. anywhere near the beach is alot. i might be able to find a small house or duplex in scotts valley or an apartment on the eastside of santa cruz. aptos can be alittle cheaper as with soquel. capitola is expensive, idk if you want to go to watsonvile or anywhere down there. depending on the neighborhood down there, its sketch

mtbr member
    Stop it with the common sense sh!t.

This is all about the best riding and biggest splifs.

Priorities, BAH.

Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    What trade are you going in to?

Doood, pick the best trade school you can get into, and worry about riding later.

Priorities. Get some.

Glad to Be Alive
    Pnw
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Stay way from SLO we have terrible riding! All the good stuff is around LA. Can you say UTI! Be a PORSCHE mech. They used to pay your way to be trained in Germany for a year or so??

rider
    Feb 2008
    port angeles washington.
    the town sucks, but your a ferry away from whistler.

shred
    Feb 2008
    I think scotts valley looks perfect. not too far from the beach and closer to the bigger mountains. Im not too worried about the kind of trade school at the moment because thats less important than riding BAH!

mtbr member
    If you go to Santa Cruz, look at Felton and Ben Lomond. You're at the base of some of the good riding. Same with Soquel. It'll be a bit cheaper than Santa Cruz.

Humboldt county however is one of the cheapest places to live in CA. I had a 1,200 sq foot townhouse that was just built a month before for $675 a month. 2 huge bedrooms, 2 full baths. Humboldt also has some of the best weed that you'll ever try if you're into that kind of thing.

Of course the bad economy might have something to do with it... probably has a lot to do with why I'm not living there at the moment (but I am looking constantly for a career move that puts me back up there). If you want to get into a trade up there the Lumber industry is where you ought to go. And while you're working in the huge forests you'll have plenty of time to scout locations for trails. My old roomie and I did that all the time and still have quite a lot of secret goodies up there in the woods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Wormvine, I don't know what you're talking about by the trails being far to get to. There's awesome mountain biking pretty much ten minutes from anywhere in Santa Cruz. If all you want to do is lift accessed riding then move to Tahoe, but Santa Cruz has some of the most buttery flowy trails around. You want shuttle runs, the Bay area has it. Hike-a-bike, the Bay Area has it. Epic xc trails... well i don't think I ned to repeat myself again.
    Good to know, From some of the earlier posts, I got the impression the trails were far away. If I lived in SC, I probably wouldn't bike much cause I would surf,surf, surf, and surf some more.

Ahahaha
    Oct 2007
    I think scotts valley looks perfect. not too far from the beach and closer to the bigger mountains. Im not too worried about the kind of trade school at the moment because thats less important than riding BAH!
    check felton and ben lomand if you want cheaper then SV

shred
    Feb 2008
    humbolt county sounds mighty tempting with the weed and cost of living but how is the temperature?

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Stop it with the common sense sh!t.

This is all about the best riding and biggest splifs.

Priorities, BAH.
    Easy to say when you are already educated and gainfully employed.

shred
    Feb 2008
    this is kind of out of the question but does anyone know anything about underwater welding?

banned
    Mar 2008
    If weather is an issue don't go any further north then Humboldt. The PNW might have some good riding areas (except Portland, unless you like urban riding. Closest trail is 45min-1hour) the weather SUCKS and I mean SUCKS!!! 8-10 months out of the year is rain rain rain rain rain grey skies every day and more rain rain rain rain. The deserts are nicer weather but the riding is worse, all XC and deep sluffy sand.

Myself am headed south to the sun next spring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Now that we have the best places to MTN bike, which places are the most realistic to live and make a life?

I work in the Finance industry and often think of greener pastors, I live in Louisville KY. We have about 40 miles of single track with in 30 minutes of Downtown split up among four venues. The problem is we really don't have the elevation to have a real downhill course.

So the question is, what is the best city that has a mix of cross country, all mountain and dh with in a two hour drive? I'm looking for a place that has a reasonable cost of living and a descent job market. Denver comes to mind, but i don't know if there are any Lift assisted DH courses.

MTN, man hope you don't mind me asking on your thread.
    Thanks

shred
    Feb 2008
    I know all about bad weather, i live in florida. I think im going to be around santa cruz because its just that much closer to all of my family. I was checking it out and scotts valley seems like the best place for riding

shred
    Feb 2008
    how cold does it get in that area?

When in doubt, go faster
    Depends on what part of humbolt. I dont think theres a ton in the way of DH up there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    stay in florida

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No EAST Coast eh? If you can stand a seasonal change, New England has some of the best riding in the world. Everything is here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Find a way to get into UCSC
    Ride bike much on trails.
    ??
    Profit.

pwn3rator
    this is kind of out of the question but does anyone know anything about underwater welding?
    come to santa barbara, go to city college and take the marine diving technologies program. it has a really good reputation and you are guaranteed a job when you graduate. you learn all that diving, underwater welding, mixed gas, saturation diving, and stuff. plus there is preety good riding, nice beaches, and perfect weat her. once you are done with school you can leave. and if you stay never call yourself a local or i will maim you. born and raised in sb is what qualifies local in my book...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Bonny Dune. The best singletrack in the world is right out ur back door. My uncle has that and it is absolutely awesome

mtbr member
    Bonny Dune is above Santa Cruz by the way...

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Track MTBer
    I'm looking for a place that has a reasonable cost of living and a descent job market. Denver comes to mind, but i don't know if there are any Lift assisted DH courses.
    Umm, some of the best in the country...

Crankworx Colorado is held at Winter Park, Keystone is one of the best in the world, and Sol Vista is off the hook. All within 1.5 hours of Denver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Felton

Quote Originally Posted by Windowlicker
    check felton and ben lomand if you want cheaper then SV
    I live in Felton and it's very nice. Pretty easy access to most trails through riding or walking up from Highway 9 or getting a shuttle up Empire grade. I actually just got back from a ride about an hour ago and it was awesome. Some say that the locals are jerks and won't show you anything but that's not true at all. If you ever run into me on a trail ask me anything and I'll help you out as much as I can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bonny Doon is a good place but it's long drive down to Felton.

Locs on Spokez
    Seriously, Santa Cruz FTW
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Yah

Seriously, Santa Cruz FTW
    Do it

shred
    Feb 2008
    florida sucks testis

Mountain Biker
    I live in Scotts Valley...and its perfect...you have great weather...great trails...the best jumps...super nice people...and really safe. and only 10 min to the beach and 20 to San jose

If you do move here...tell me and ill show u around.
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

shred
    Feb 2008
    i think ill stay in america for the time being. I may move to italy or switzerland a few years from now.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Just marry some random Canadian babe and move to Whistler... Done and done.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Uncle Cliffy has the right idea! (as long as she is hot and rich and rides u wont have to work and u can ride all day )
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Polytech in Long beach or SD for the Non destructive testing methods.
    Im supposed to be going back to long beach in 2 months for the underwater welding or possibly non destructive testing methods.
    Sean can help you out there, its 50wks long and not a bad gig.
    Financial aid available if needed and at 18k for 1 year its probably needed!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

shred
    Feb 2008
    sounds like a plan. but too cold for my body fat.

Members who have read this thread: 0