where to go for downhill?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

where to go for downhill?

Haveing been displaced from new orleans, I am in the process of decideing where to live for the next few months. New Orleans was the worst place in the world for rideing and I have always wanted to give downhilling a shot for more than a weekend here and there. I recently came back from moab, have been rideing in Sedona, Oregon, spent alot of time in pisgah. I like big bikes but always spend most of my trips pushing my 40lb bike uphill and cant ever seem to spend enough time bombing downhill. My latest plan was moveing to Asheville NC because its great rideing that im somewhat familiar with but am now thinking about trying to get next to a lift and living my dream for the next few months while they drain the city. All my gear and bikes are gone so I will get something from the classifieds here after I decide where to live. Seems my prioritys now are finding a place to live, getting a new bike, and ride untill i figure out the rest. Looking for any ideas for cheap good rideing that wont be under snow in a month. Thanks for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kobanna
    Haveing been displaced from new orleans, I am in the process of decideing where to live for the next few months. New Orleans was the worst place in the world for rideing and I have always wanted to give downhilling a shot for more than a weekend here and there. I recently came back from moab, have been rideing in Sedona, Oregon, spent alot of time in pisgah. I like big bikes but always spend most of my trips pushing my 40lb bike uphill and cant ever seem to spend enough time bombing downhill. My latest plan was moveing to Asheville NC because its great rideing that im somewhat familiar with but am now thinking about trying to get next to a lift and living my dream for the next few months while they drain the city. All my gear and bikes are gone so I will get something from the classifieds here after I decide where to live. Seems my prioritys now are finding a place to live, getting a new bike, and ride untill i figure out the rest. Looking for any ideas for cheap good rideing that wont be under snow in a month. Thanks for any suggestions.
    man that sucks, did insurance cover that? the bikes and other stuff? anyways, somewhere in conneticut or mass cause they have some good riding like lynn and nam and other trails. also then in NJ is diablo which is an awsome freeride/dh place and then there is attitash in NH which is really steep techy dh i don't know much about cali but i hear good things about it

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    theres plattekill in new york state

TNC
    noMAD man

Smart to consider weather.

Yeah, you mentioned about being under snow a good portion of the year. There are many states where you can locate, live, and work that have a more temperate climate all year around, but are still close enough to some of the ski areas and such. I don't know about most folks, but I have to live somewhere where I can ride basically all year. New Mexico and Arizona have some good locations to live and ride all year that are in close proximity to good lift serviced areas. Obviously your work/career field might have some impact on where you can live too. I'd be tempted to stay somewhere out of the frequent snow line, but where it's not the extreme hot temps like southern Arizona. I've been through that area around Asheville quite a bit, and it is a nice area for climate and riding. I'm more fond of the west, however, particulary the Utah, Colorado, N. Mexico, and Arizona areas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Glad you're alive, Asheville-Black Mtn. area is the place if you stay below the Mason Dixon. Not sure where you lived but it might be more than a few months though. Good luck and if you're heading north to PA, I have a basement where you can camp out and trails nearby.
    Emancipate yuorself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. -Robert Nesta Marleyundefinedundefined

mtbr member
    im really glad to hear you made it out ok. there are many places in the northeast to live like NJ and NY and Mass. but i'd seriously look into Arizona. You could find a place in the phoenix area or south of there in Tuscan. I know alot of people who ride in Tuscan. It only snows in northern AZ in the Mtns. I live in the bay area in California. most of CA. is expensive but the quality of life is amazing. Check out the Sacremento and Bay area in CA because you'll have alot of riding year round.

mtbr member
    Come on out to California. It doesn't get much better than out here. BC would be better. Utah would be good, but its full of mormons.

Glad to Be Alive
    really sorry to hear about your losses...Southern california only rains about 20 days out of the year and usuall no snow (once every 5 to 10 years)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    again, its all about Cali

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i'm from cali and i can say the scene here is good and it's nice riding during the winter but if you're looking to get into downhill this time of year you NEED to move to Boulder City, Nevada and ride the trails at bootleg canyon ( bootlegcanyon.com ). the scene during the winter there is amazing. the trails are unreal, the locals are super cool, the weather is perfect for riding, and the have it all. dirt jumps, drops, road gaps, high speed and super technical downhills, xc and 4X. and they run shuttles every weekend for quite a bit less than lift tickets.

one season and you will be a way better rider. like i said i live in cali which has great riding but this place is unreal if you want to get into downhill/FR. check it out.

oh yeah, it's only like 30 min from Las Vegas so u can have fun and get a good job too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thanks guys

Thanks for all the ideas guys, Seems at this point I may be moveing with another friend from new orleans so location becomes a consideration for him also. I personally was beginning to lean towards SLC area which I have always found to be a great place with friendly people. I believe he wants to stay on the east coast to stay closer to friends and family who have also been forced to relocate, not to mention my own family went east. As of right now Ashville is back in the lead but I am still looking al all my alternatives. I just found out that my home owners insurance will cover my living expenses untill my house becomes habitable, I made it out the city with my car, and I was a grad student without a career anyway so any place is basically open to me. He was not so lucky and lost everything so will need to see where he can get a job and what FEMA will do to help. Thanks for the suggestions and support guys, any east coast riding suggestions would be great also.
    On a side note my house is one of the few that is high and dry and everything in it was off the shelf stuff that were just objects. One of the things bugs me is the loss of my bike. It was more than a frame with parts, it was something that literally took years and gobs of money to get in its final and what for me was the perfect spec. I tried what seems like everything at every part untill I found out exactly what I liked and I finally had my bike finished at what i thought was the "ideal"spec. Although I never actually had chance to ride the brand spanking new 05 z1 FR and my cranks were broken, everything else was something that I felt really strongly about. For instance my handlebar must be pro taper, my real wheel must be 36hole hadley laced to arrow Fr, shock must be a pushed fox, I suppose brakes are up in the air but i really liked the shimano xts i bought in 99 and still used with some mods and alot of maintainence such as GRC levers and goodridge lines. The idea of buying a used bike which would basically be a frame I want with a bunch of crap attached to it to make it rideable makes me ill after all the time effort and money getting my bike exactly how I wanted it. I know that this is trivial compared to the tens of thouseands that lost everything includeing friends and family, their homes, and some even their own lives. I am extremely fortunate and am aware of this but this is a bike forum so what was most personal to me that I lost was my bike and I dont feel like a total ass venting here. BTW i had it insured specifically at replacement cost so someday i can get it back unlike the stuff important to the 99% of other people that lived there.

Rob Munro
    I know that this is trivial compared to the tens of thouseands that lost everything includeing friends and family, their homes, and some even their own lives. I am extremely fortunate and am aware of this but this is a bike forum so what was most personal to me that I lost was my bike and I dont feel like a total ass venting here.
    no reason to explain that man. like you said, this is a MTB forum. no one's going to ride you for being bummed about losing your cherished bike. you've got perspective. we'd all feel exactly the same way.

Members who have read this thread: 0