When you guys build jumps...- Mtbr.com
    no direction in life
    Sep 2004

When you guys build jumps...

do you use any sort of "filler" as the base, instead of loads of dirt? Like a wooden box or something that would fill the bottom, and then dirt would be piled on/around it. It seems like this would save a great deal of digging, but i'm not sure about the reliability of the jump if this was used, and I'm not sure what material would work well . Any thoughts/experiences?

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by big_johnson
    do you use any sort of "filler" as the base, instead of loads of dirt? Like a wooden box or something that would fill the bottom, and then dirt would be piled on/around it. It seems like this would save a great deal of digging, but i'm not sure about the reliability of the jump if this was used, and I'm not sure what material would work well . Any thoughts/experiences?
    I've used logs....
    Trestle Bike Park

Youngbuck
    Yeah ive seen piles of logs used as the base for jumps alot, and i guess you could use a wooden kicker or something but you would have to dig it into the ground abit for stability IMO.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    big rocks, logs, steel drums, cars, anything really.

logs will decay faster though.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Dead people.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Do it with style
    a 50 gallon drum iz the shiz. easy to bury very durable and easy to move. or logs but they decay and you still have to fill it in..

USB Rep'n
    old tires too. They are fantastic for that kinda work. We use wood pallets then pack dirt inside and all around. Youd never know they pallet was in there to look at the jump but it does save a ton of digging.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

soviet pride
    i put down anythign and everything for the base. Big rocks work really well
    im all about midget drops

kona-tize me captain

u can use anything

u can use just about anything u can find back in the woods. just make sure u have a nice layer of dirt over it. my neighbor bought 4 tons of this realy fine gravel stufff. he only used 2 tons and gave me the rest. i built a 6 foot table top jump. stuff packs really nicely when its wet
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

pwn3rator
    i like to use dead goats and mayonaise... it really helps in keeping the jump stable and even...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Team
    Trash, rolled up rugs, anything...

mtbr member
    I've heard of using a lot of different "fillers" for jumps but logs always seem to work for me. We're building some trails in my woods and decided to throw a few jumps up and just used the tree's we cut down (cut into 3 or 4 foot sections) Lay a layer of fresh soil between each layer of logs and build it up like that. True it will decay over time but it should last 3 or 4 seasons. Here's a pic of one jump (same day we built it) but I've packed more dirt on since then to cover the logs and make it smoother. It's rock solid now. check it out:
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    logs, but mainly i perfer rocks.

high school loser
    small children
    member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron
    "we kill zombies dead"

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

Schmeow Productions
    banzai pit?

Glad to Be Alive
    uzze anything you can..less digginz da better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Now with flavor!!
    We've had to use pallets to keep some of our dirtlumps from falling over. It kind of depends on the dirt you have access too. We've got a refridgerator in one of our landings. Rocks by far work the best if they're around. They'll never cave/rot. You can see some of the supports we have in these pictures

You just want to make sure you don't end up with a lot of voids (empty space) that could lead to them caving in.

no direction in life
    Sep 2004
    We've had to use pallets to keep some of our dirtlumps from falling over. It kind of depends on the dirt you have access too. We've got a refridgerator in one of our landings. Rocks by far work the best if they're around. They'll never cave/rot. You can see some of the supports we have in these pictures

You just want to make sure you don't end up with a lot of voids (empty space) that could lead to them caving in.
    I was just looking at those pics just before I came to this thread . Our jumps aren't quite massive enough to require pallets, we just pack the sh1t out of them when they are slightly wet and it works fairly well. But I do think rocks are the best idea, my concern over other things would be the rotting/etc. others have mentioned. Now to just locate some rocks near the area...

Now with flavor!!
    I was just looking at those pics just before I came to this thread . Our jumps aren't quite massive enough to require pallets, we just pack the sh1t out of them when they are slightly wet and it works fairly well. But I do think rocks are the best idea, my concern over other things would be the rotting/etc. others have mentioned. Now to just locate some rocks near the area...
    Honestly, it just depends on the dirt you have access to. I've seen jumps shaped that would never hold up if we built them like that at our spot. If you live somewhere that gets a decent amount of rain and/or has some good clay content, then all you really need to worry about is the riding surface itself. We have to build our stuff with a lot of side supporting material so throwing junk in the bases helps out immensely. You may not even need to use filler where you live. You can usually throw enough shovel fulls in the amount of time it takes to hunt down filler if it's not in the immediate vicinity. The only thing we used that wasn't already in the area were the pallets. Luckily the refridgerator was right there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    old tires too. They are fantastic for that kinda work. We use wood pallets then pack dirt inside and all around. Youd never know they pallet was in there to look at the jump but it does save a ton of digging.
    I'd know, I saw that wood thing, why did you guys put the landing so close lol It's 9 finga's, drop me a pm man, I want to start something local for us to sesh after work.
    Now it's time for the blubba
    Blabba
    To watch that belly get fatter
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it
    (SMT, WCH,EIO)I'll jack your @ss like a looter in a riot
    My sh!t's fat like a sumo slammin' that @ss
    Leavin' your face in the grass

Renegade of Krunk
    Honestly, it just depends on the dirt you have access to. I've seen jumps shaped that would never hold up if we built them like that at our spot. If you live somewhere that gets a decent amount of rain and/or has some good clay content, then all you really need to worry about is the riding surface itself. We have to build our stuff with a lot of side supporting material so throwing junk in the bases helps out immensely. You may not even need to use filler where you live. You can usually throw enough shovel fulls in the amount of time it takes to hunt down filler if it's not in the immediate vicinity. The only thing we used that wasn't already in the area were the pallets. Luckily the refridgerator was right there.
    No kidding, desert dirt isn't fun for building DJ's, especially when you don't have any water to throw on them. Anything you can use as a base will work. Big rocks are good We had some DJ's by a friends house (theyre no an apartment complex) that were nice, but they lived across the street from them and would just run a hose over morning and wet them down. Those were the days..
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

pwn3rator
    i prefer beer bottles and costco bikes, with krunk juice to keep them wet...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    i prefer beer bottles
    haha, my bro did that. Him and two of his buds had a 24 pack (cans, not bottles), they would each pound one, put them in a pile and cover it with dirt, then repeat. I've been trying to think of ways to make digging go faster at my spot too.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    look at pics of STINC
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStryker
    look at pics of STINC
    True. They use "air" as filler for a lot of stuff.

That's framing, not filler. Big difference.