When to sit?- Mtbr.com

Thread: When to sit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

When to sit?

In my downhill racing DVD's, everyone is always off the seat, even on turns. Is there ever a situation when one should be sitting on the seat?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    when your sitting at the bottom of the hill, thinking back on the race you just had sippin a beer

Premium Member
    Flat parts, some corners. It's just preference but for hairy sections you should NEVER be on the seat. Same with jumps, in case you haven't figured that out yet.

mtbr member
    only time i've seen is when it's a very very high speed flat out open section, and you're trying to tuck and decrease wind resistance.

i think just pedal as much as possible. if you have to sit, sit. best to sit on sections that are not technical, if you have to at all.

local trails rider
    I can do a couple of hours of XC/trail riding OK, but a couple of minutes on slightly rough descents turn my thighs into noodles

A past figurehead of Finnish sports used to say that downhill/slalom skiing is not a sport: a machine takes you up and gravity takes you down...
    ...Yeah, Right!

Glad to Be Alive
    you sit during racing on the smoother sections to rest a bit....conserves energy for when you really need it.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Never sit during a DH race. You should be training so that you don't have to. Intervals, intervals, intervals. DH races are 10 minutes or shorter, here in CO. You should be able to stand and pedal for 10 min.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jhhubb
    Never sit during a DH race. You should be training so that you don't have to. Intervals, intervals, intervals. DH races are 10 minutes or shorter, here in CO. You should be able to stand and pedal for 10 min.
    ummmmm no........do you race????........if you can get by sitting through a section resting your legs then you should do it.....will make you that much stronger when you need your legs in a different spot.......If you have a long, smooth straitway, why would you not rest your legs even in a under 3 minute race
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    ummmmm no........do you race????........if you can get by sitting through a section resting your legs then you should do it.....will make you that much stronger when you need your legs in a different spot.......If you have a long, smooth straitway, why would you not rest your legs even in a under 3 minute race
    Why sit when you can lie down?
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yup, nothing at all wrong with sitting and spinning! ...Unless you have your seat tucked too low to get much pedalling done...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Yes I race and regardless of what others say sitting down sucks. Do you think the best riders in the world have to sit down during a 3 minute race. (Now don't jump all over me I said "have to sit down." If they choose to that is their choice.) I simply choose not to, because I can pedal a lot harder standing than sitting. I bet your all the same way... Now quit typing and get in shape. J/k

clyde in training
    Yes I race and regardless of what others say sitting down sucks. Do you think the best riders in the world have to sit down during a 3 minute race. (Now don't jump all over me I said "have to sit down." If they choose to that is their choice.) I simply choose not to, because I can pedal a lot harder standing than sitting. I bet your all the same way... Now quit typing and get in shape. J/k
    so you race without a seat to save weight then right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nope my legs are strong enough that I don't need to be that crazy about saving weight.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Years of road racing and training with power meters has taught me that you pedal more efficiently when you are sitting. This applies to DH racing as well, because your body is still just a motor.

Pedaling out of the saddle is great for accelerating/sprinting, or for negotiating turns or rough stuff. But if you want to be smooth and efficient through a long straight, gas it out of the saddle until you are no longer accelerating, then sit and continue pedaling. You put out the same amount of power at a lower heart rate when you are in the saddle.

I am not talking about sitting through corners or rough stuff, I am only talking about pedalling out of the saddle vs. pedalling in the saddle.

JMH

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Years of road racing and training with power meters has taught me that you pedal more efficiently when you are sitting. This applies to DH racing as well, because your body is still just a motor.

Pedaling out of the saddle is great for accelerating/sprinting, or for negotiating turns or rough stuff. But if you want to be smooth and efficient through a long straight, gas it out of the saddle until you are no longer accelerating, then sit and continue pedaling. You put out the same amount of power at a lower heart rate when you are in the saddle.

I am not talking about sitting through corners or rough stuff, I am only talking about pedalling out of the saddle vs. pedalling in the saddle.

JMH
    I totally agree, if trying to sprint, stand up. If you're got a long smooth section ahead of you, no shame in sitting and spinning your ass off.
    Fitness comes to play though because if you can sprint a long flat section it's gonna be faster than sitting and just spinning.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    True but you are most efficient pedaling when the seat is at an appropriate height. How many of us run our DH seats at the correct level to fit our body, not me thats for sure.

Very good point though JMH

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nope my legs are strong enough that I don't need to be that crazy about saving weight.
    Saving weight has way more advantages than pedaling power. Lighter bikes are much much better in accelerating and stopping and turning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I agree with JMH.... sitting is more efficient for straights and smoother sections, as long as the seat isn't too low to pedal efficiently. Jhhubb is correct too, if the seat height isn't right it isn't more efficient. I'm not a racer, but I like to haul on the dh's whenever possible. Running a gravity dropper seatpost gives me the best of both.... drop the seat out of the way for everything technical, then pop it up for the straights while sitting down and cranking it out.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Me hates pinchflat
    I never sit. Not nice on a hardtail with the seat slammed down
    Besides, my seatpost is stripped, so if I sit in a rough section it dies
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

moaaar shimz
    I sit when comming off some turns and in flat sections... but I tend to slam down the seat for more kicker/stepdown/whatever clearance

Specialized Rida
    . Do you think the best riders in the world have to sit down during a 3 minute race.
    Yes.

This quote is from the "press and news" here on MTBR.

Temecula's Eric Carter put down a solid performance just missing the podium in sixth. Fastest qualifier Bryn Atkinson suffered a mechanical, the first mechanical he's had in five years, as his chain came off. EC has a lot of experience on this track and said there is a definite strategy to use at the bottom of the course. "I knew I gave up a few seconds in the rock sections and I gained some back at the bottom. There are a few places to sit down on the upper course to conserve until the bottom where I stand up and sprint the entire way, never sitting down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There is also a reason why you don't see most racers with their seat slammed all the way down

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I keep my seat partially up when I race so I can sit down and pedal on the flat sections and just lower my seat when jumping or riding technical trails.

Now with flavor!!

Tell that to the winningest world cup racer of all time.

that guy used his saddle very frequently
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Members who have read this thread: 0