wheelies...any suggestions- Mtbr.com
    SamIAm

wheelies...any suggestions

ok ive been practicing doing wheelies for the last couple of days and i got the up/down part down a bit. i can keep that shiz together, but for the left/right its hit or miss. i either pick up the front just right or i just veer off. how do u shift your weight to keep the bike from falling over sideways?

anything you got would be super duper.

sam
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Buckle Up
    No matter how hard anyone tries, they can't tell you how to do a wheelie over the internet. Practice more.
    <><

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    there is an instant secret to learning manuals. i just can't tell you what it is.
    Yeah..

A wise man once told me what the instant secret to them was..And it is:

There is no secret. Unless practicing is the ancient chinese secret he once spoke of.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

mtbr member
    Spread some poop on the sidewalls of the back tire that will keep the bike from slipping from side to side.

Pro Crastinator
    i've been riding for almost 30 years and still can't wheelie.....

wheelies are gay anyway....

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.

wheelies are gay anyway....

WTF ... I have such good time wheeling man... u think I'm GAY..!!!???

Anyway...
    Put ur front tire in the air like u just don't care...

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by VIA
    WTF ... I have such good time wheeling man... u think I'm GAY..!!!???
    that's just my excuse for not learning.....

Don't skid
    I'm with WCH on this one, wheelies are gay, and so is climbing. (thats another thing i don't do very well )

mtbr member
    when i was 12 i could wheelie a bmx bike indefinetly. now i can only wheelie a mtb 50ft max. im a better rider now. it makes no sense.
    i have buds who can manual at 30mph down paved roads for two hundred yards. i am good for 50 feet. yet i outjump outhuck and ride faster than those guys. it makes no sense.
    i can save a flier on the djs by manualing the landing and still hit the next jump fine. but i cant manual up to a log and hop over (only can do that to street curbs). it makes no sense.
    Divide Bike Bags

mtbr member

Funny story

Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    ok ive been practicing doing wheelies for the last couple of days and i got the up/down part down a bit. i can keep that shiz together, but for the left/right its hit or miss. i either pick up the front just right or i just veer off. how do u shift your weight to keep the bike from falling over sideways?

anything you got would be super duper.

sam
    Still LMAO @ WCH "wheelies are gay" I think it's genetic...you either got the "manual gene" or you don't. I can't wheelie for $hit either. I try alot...at home...when no one's watching...cause I get all squirrelly sometimes too. Speakin of screwing around in your backyard (Funny story)...Last night I did a little tweaking on my bike and take it around the yard for a little spin and I'm doin "no footer-stoppies" (for lack of a better description) a stoppie with your butt on the seat and your feel stickin out to the sides. So I come rollin back into the garage and grab a big hand full of front brake on the concrete which needless to say almost sends me over the bars after doin it in the grass the first 20 times. So I immediately let go of the brake which of course drops the rear end (from almost vertical) like a sack of potatoes. When my a$$ comes slamming down and my jewels take the full brunt of the hit on the back ridge of the seat. I've never just dropped my bike on the ground before...first time for everything.I'm rollin around on the concrete in the fetal position. Worst "rackin" I ever had. Thought you guys would think that was funny...I didn't. Hahaha. L8R.
    - JJ
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I would just practise, eventually you will get it so you can turn coners and weave all accross the rode. Nice story VooDoo 13.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i'm okay at wheelies not so great at manuals but when i riding a wheely down the road or the trail i can sometimes use my knees by swinging them in or out to help balance side to side or by turning the handle bars to one side. those two things work for me sometimes try them if you want but it might not work for you. main thing is just like everyone else has said is lots of practice.
    Live to Ride
    Ride to Live

Mountain Biking - "A mode of transportation that combines the strenuousness of continuous pushups with the comfort of falling down a flight of steps in a shopping cart." Newsweek 7-19-93

My For Sale Parts List Here PM for info

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Someone needs to invent the "wheelie bar" for bikes. ..Sorta like a set of trainning wheels that could teach us to become accustomed to the "sweet spot"
    ..hell, we did it as kids to leard to ride vertical on two wheels, why not apply the same principal to the rear end of the bike so we can all learn how to manual with "Training Wheelies"..
    .....Nevermind, dont steal my idea, I'm gonna be rich!
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    Someone needs to invent the "wheelie bar" for bikes. ..Sorta like a set of trainning wheels that could teach us to become accustomed to the "sweet spot"
    ..hell, we did it as kids to leard to ride vertical on two wheels, why not apply the same principal to the rear end of the bike so we can all learn how to manual with "Training Wheelies"..
    what if you want to learn to ride on your front wheel? nose wheelie bar?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    yeah, mostly just practice.

one thing that helps me with left and right balance is if i start to lean too far one way i kind of stick my knee out to shift my weight over a bit.

mtbr member
    move your bike, knees and body. do you sit down or stand up? it's easier sitting down.

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    someday someone is going to get rich off that idea
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

kona-tize me captain

conclusion

well im wana of those guys that can get the bike up for a lil but then it falls down. but after reading this tonight(i was actually out practicng my wheelies today) this might help u or inspire more confidence. plus its got some good tutorial videos

http://www.downcycles.com/techtips_wheelie.htm

Pro Crastinator
    ok... easy way to practice finding the sweet spot........

stand right next to a wall, close enough so your shoulder will touch. sit on your bike, grab your brakes, stand up, lean back, still holding your brakes. your shoulder should be lightly touching the wall you will be suprised how easily the balance will come....

(edit: oops, that's for manualing)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I use platforms pedals so your not locked in shift your legs around I even stick my feet out as outriggers it does help. but like everybody else says pratice,but try to do it on A hard tail, much better

ridin' is my escape
    my wheelies used to be decent, but than i learned to manuel and i lost my wheelies, all i can say is get a little speed and balance yourself while lifting up just enough, for me that just enough is on the line of flying back, i lean my body over the rear wheel kinda push out with my legs, lift up, enough, to the point where you feel weightless for a moment, the point of no return so to speak, in other words lean back , alot untill you find the sweet spot, but i just rambled on throughout this post so im not sure if i made anysense, like someone said earlier, there is a instant secret to manueling, i just dont know what it is, but good luck, jus go out front go pretty fast cruising speed , lift up fast see what happens, be prepared to put your feet under you though,, wow, im still typing, whatever, later good luck
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

pwn3rator
    i've practiced wheelies for so long and i've ruined 6 pairs of shorts in the process... it takes time and not much energy...and use your brakes...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.