What's your stand over height?- Mtbr.com
    banned

What's your stand over height?

Just curious as it seems that most bikes are somewhere around 30-32 inches depending on a few things. I'm 5'8" and it seems that most frames are right at the nut sack on me, just wondering what other short guys do to fix this problem...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

standover

i'm only 5' and I have a small kona stinky, it's standover is 31" or something around there and it works fine for me. It's just getting used to it in the beginning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm 5' 8-9"ish, so around the same as you. The standover on my bike is 30.7", and like you said, the top tube is "right at the nut sack" on me too; there's only about 1 1/2" that I can lift the bike before it's up against my pelvis. However, I don't find this to be a problem. It's not uncomfortable at all. I was worried about the same thing when I was getting my bike.

The frame size (seat tube length) will not make a big difference, since it's mainly the height of the front end which causes the top tube to be so high. If you get a smaller frame for the nut sack clearance, the frame will ride like crap on the trails; you will have to jack your seat up in order to be able to climb, at all. The shorter seat tube will cramp up your legs and make pedalling very uncomfortable. Besides, how often will you be on your bike with your feet on the ground? My bike feels fine when I'm on the pedals, and when I do need to put my feet down when I bail I rarely get sacked.

If I had gotten the smaller frame size for my bike, I would have made a big mistake.

Former Noob Herder
    the old 'few inches from the sack' rule only applies to hardtails. With short TTs, you'll be sitting on the seat with the suspension compressed, not getting your nuts hammered by frame tubing

mtbr member
    so get outside and ride now you have a new screen name and more threads about standover height? man someone needs to moderate all these redundant threads. go to the search page and search the forums for what you need and stop posting under new screen names.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    so get outside and ride now you have a new screen name and more threads about standover height? man someone needs to moderate all these redundant threads. go to the search page and search the forums for what you need and stop posting under new screen names.
    wrong guy bub.