Whats your favorite FR hardtail???- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    97

    Whats your favorite FR hardtail???

    Here is your chance to brag about your hardtails. There are so many out there i am wondering what you all prefer for urban/fr/jumping. I have a P2 and i know there are some hardtails out there that are more "flickable" and tighter geometry, what are some of those??
    For sale:
    Jamis Dakar Sport Full Suspension XC Bike 2001
    Marzocchi EXR comp 2004

    Email me at [email protected] for more details.

  2. #2
    Authority is dead!
    Reputation: Lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    Pre '03 P.3
    For the love of Oi

    Rent a house at Attitash

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    New Jack Flash from Planet-X is really tight and flickable. Grind plate on the BB doesn't hurt either. Don't own one, but if I wanted a urban-geared HT that could hold it's own on the trails and jumps, this would be right up there.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: overtheedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32
    24-bicycles le toy 3.....fast, agile, and built to take just about anything
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,612
    Evil DOC.

    And yes I've ridden one. I like the long top tubes. Still feels like a mountain bike.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anti-spandex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Evil DOC.

    And yes I've ridden one. I like the long top tubes. Still feels like a mountain bike.
    yeah kidwoo, that was gonna be my suggestion...

    where did you find one to ride? i've got one on order right now.
    i am on the wait list for a reg. size frame.
    what build/size was the one you rode?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Props on the pink fork and leopard-print seat. Very pimpin' ride ya got there. I like the Le Toy 3's...my buddy had one...very nice ride and held up to all kinds of ridiculous abuse.

  8. #8
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-spandex
    yeah kidwoo, that was gonna be my suggestion...

    where did you find one to ride? i've got one on order right now.
    i am on the wait list for a reg. size frame.
    what build/size was the one you rode?
    I ride with one of the evil guys at our dirtjumps. His is the smaller top tube size. It's set up SS as a straight up jump/skatpark bike. He weighs about 35lbs more than me and is really hard on his bikes so the fork (sherman flick at 100mm) was a little stiff for me but the short rear end felt awesome. If/when I get a hardtail jump bike, it'll be a DOC. Here's a pic of it.

    https://modestbike.com/renodays/hacsawsnewbike.jpg

    https://www.matchvideozine.com/jim_high.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    105

    Burly HT

    Surly Instigator.
    Bomb proof 4130 steel frame & drop-outs. Short wheel base and cockpit make it jump & urban like a mo-fo and you can still trail ride with it too. One of the best "do-anything" hardtails (and it is steel).

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    997
    Evil DOC! im on the list for 1 too, blood red long geo. Im about 6' maybe a tad bit taller, but i want it to do some Fr too so longer will be more pedal friendly, i cant wait, gonna have a sherman flick on mine too urban camo with the red! ill set it up SS for the winter, they 1X9 for summer if i cant get a internal hub

  11. #11
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,450

    Dekerf Implant

    less of a dirt-jump / urban and more of a FR trail frame.

    I love mine- Did cheakamus challenge on it (45 miles, 7k vert), rode it on the whistler garbonzo stuff & khyber ridge, perfect for FR w/climbing or XC rides with stunts & jumps.

    Super short chainstays and a long head tube make this bike super easy to manual.

    Built up with a Z1 (tried my Z150 on it too)
    8" front rotor, 27" wide bars, 70mm stem
    2.4's, XT, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    a'buh?
    Reputation: flyingwalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    635
    nice bike.

    I would say one of my favorites would have to be the steelhead, I just really fel in love with it when I rode it.
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    997
    any 1 got any more pics of the evil doc other than 1s from their site, and the ones from Hcor @interbike and [email protected]? i cant wait for my frame to get here. i need some porn to visualize the smoothness of my flight plans

  14. #14
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    any 1 got any more pics of the evil doc other than 1s from their site, and the ones from Hcor @interbike and [email protected]? i cant wait for my frame to get here. i need some porn to visualize the smoothness of my flight plans
    What do you want pics of? If my buddy is in town I'll take some closeups this weekend.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theOtherMrT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117
    already posted this before...but here she goes again.

  16. #16
    l337 |31k3r
    Reputation: Gramatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    962
    Does anyone have an instigator with a 5" fork on it? What about 7"? Looks intresting.
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

    Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

  17. #17
    Buckle Up
    Reputation: WheelieMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramatica
    Does anyone have an instigator with a 5" fork on it? What about 7"? Looks intresting.
    I had an instigator with a 6 inch slider. But it was still a little too xc-ish for my tastes.
    <><

  18. #18
    l337 |31k3r
    Reputation: Gramatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    I had an instigator with a 6 inch slider. But it was still a little too xc-ish for my tastes.
    Thanks man....wheelie man to be exact.

    Im just refining my HT choices, while still keeping my eyes open.
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

    Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    Banshee Morphine for sure if you break that bike your god

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the Inbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,471
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I ride with one of the evil guys at our dirtjumps. His is the smaller top tube size. It's set up SS as a straight up jump/skatpark bike. He weighs about 35lbs more than me and is really hard on his bikes so the fork (sherman flick at 100mm) was a little stiff for me but the short rear end felt awesome. If/when I get a hardtail jump bike, it'll be a DOC. Here's a pic of it.

    https://modestbike.com/renodays/hacsawsnewbike.jpg

    https://www.matchvideozine.com/jim_high.jpg
    finally, pictures of his bike. thanks for posting those. i'm in line for a black one, and wanted to see what the graphics were like.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    97
    haha isnt it pretty heavy though?
    For sale:
    Jamis Dakar Sport Full Suspension XC Bike 2001
    Marzocchi EXR comp 2004

    Email me at [email protected] for more details.

  22. #22
    Yay
    Reputation: mtb care bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    302
    Specialized P3! Just got my '05...

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    997
    id like some good pics of he headtube and seat mast brace. just anything more pics of the bike will rock. that build is gonna be almost a carbon copy of mine. what type chain is that? i think i may get a full 1/2 link razor back bmx chain if i can get 2 into 1 to make it long enough. how much does that setup weigh? i cant wait for mine, any word on when they r gettn done, i heard they r startn paint on the 1st batch

    thanks, Rj

  24. #24
    Yay
    Reputation: mtb care bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    302
    BigHitBoy, are you talking about somebody elses bike or my P3?
    Last edited by mtb care bear; 11-21-2004 at 10:39 AM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    105

    Instigator

    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    I had an instigator with a 6 inch slider. But it was still a little too xc-ish for my tastes.
    I'd disagree here. I had an Instigator with a 3"-5" Psylo and thought it was not so much XC-ish. It has short chain stays, a short cockpit, and overall a short wheelbase. Very much more upright riding position than a XC bike, especially with a short freeriding stem. The Surly guys designed it to ride like a bike BMX bike, it's very flickable. I actually didn't like riding xc with it cuz the head tube angle was so raked out compared to a normal XC bike, the front end felt squirrely. (But that's why I had Psylo, so i could dial it down to 80mm).

    But this is juts my opnion, coming from the XC side of it. I'm sure if you were coming from the DH/FR side of things you may think it was more XC-ish. Still, I think it was the most versital, bomb proof, do anything bike I ever owned. Too bad I've been sucked into the black-money-hole known as freeriding and in order to afford my 6"/6" rig, I have to sell it.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    997
    I was talkn about the Evil DOC. but whoa ur bike is a beut! Can the fork get 130 mm travel or just the 100? That is one of the nicest hardtails i have ever see, i dont like the hayes hfx's though, but they work great while they work, once u bust something good bye. what tires r those, specialized brand? never seen em b4. hows it ride? Im buildn up a DOC once i get it

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigHit-Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    756
    By far the Evil Imperial.

    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    20
    PX New Jack Flash is great. i have one and shibby is right on the money in describing it. it kicks ass

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    97
    Yeah the P3 is a beaut. I went w/ the P2 for the single front chainring ('04) and just replaced the fork w/ an '04 z1 drop off. I love the frame geometry and the strength is unbeatable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For sale:
    Jamis Dakar Sport Full Suspension XC Bike 2001
    Marzocchi EXR comp 2004

    Email me at [email protected] for more details.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    DK UX24
    I just ordered one. Small tight lightweight Japanese made cromoly frame, 24" wheels, DK bmx parts, singlespeed, 21.5" front, 15.75" rear, threaded BB with iscg mounts, convertible drop-outs, low price. Perfect for what I want to do with it.
    DK also makes the UX26 with 26" wheels.

    DK UX24
    Last edited by TWISTED; 11-21-2004 at 02:57 PM.

  31. #31
    I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Reputation: ThoughtfulPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,319
    Mine:



    Or an Endless Lifetime. Those are so tight.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,441
    This one.... but Im kinda biased

    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

  33. #33
    Buckle Up
    Reputation: WheelieMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosk
    I'd disagree here. I had an Instigator with a 3"-5" Psylo and thought it was not so much XC-ish. It has short chain stays, a short cockpit, and overall a short wheelbase. Very much more upright riding position than a XC bike, especially with a short freeriding stem. The Surly guys designed it to ride like a bike BMX bike, it's very flickable. I actually didn't like riding xc with it cuz the head tube angle was so raked out compared to a normal XC bike, the front end felt squirrely. (But that's why I had Psylo, so i could dial it down to 80mm).

    But this is juts my opnion, coming from the XC side of it. I'm sure if you were coming from the DH/FR side of things you may think it was more XC-ish. Still, I think it was the most versital, bomb proof, do anything bike I ever owned. Too bad I've been sucked into the black-money-hole known as freeriding and in order to afford my 6"/6" rig, I have to sell it.
    Maybe its the size that makes my instigator feel xc-ish. I think I have the largest model with 24 inch top tube and 19 inch seattube. But its a very sturdy frame, and if I were looking for an xc/trail type frame I would build it up again.
    But I would have to disagree with you about the chainstays, they are fairly long for a hardtail. My downhill bike has shorter chainstays than my instigator!

    Does anyone have any experience with the Azonic Evolution 2? Looks to be a high quality frame at a great price.
    <><

  34. #34
    Now with flavor!!
    Reputation: kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    id like some good pics of he headtube and seat mast brace. just anything more pics of the bike will rock. that build is gonna be almost a carbon copy of mine. what type chain is that? i think i may get a full 1/2 link razor back bmx chain if i can get 2 into 1 to make it long enough. how much does that setup weigh? i cant wait for mine, any word on when they r gettn done, i heard they r startn paint on the 1st batch

    thanks, Rj
    I failed you. I didn't check this site until just now (Sun night). The only pics I got of jim was riding shots and your can't exactly get detailed veiws of the frame. I'm sorry.

    Yeah he's got a half link chain on there. It's pretty funky looking. He's got some sort of chromo cranks on there, with an evil spider/ring and an evil bashguard. He's got atom lab dh rims/hubs on there. It weighs about 200 lbs. I don't know really but it is tank.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    997
    its ok, did u try it at all? the 1/2 link chains r taken the world by storm, i hope some 1 is tryin to make 1 shiftable! i cant wait for my DOC thanx any ways

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the Inbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,471
    half link chains are popular 'cause they're new. i don't think anyone has successfully argued that they are in fact stronger than a regular chain.

  37. #37
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    I like the P.2 That frame is hella strong.

  38. #38
    l337 |31k3r
    Reputation: Gramatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    He's got some sort of chromo cranks on there, with an evil spider/ring and an evil bashguard. .
    Profiles?
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

    Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

  39. #39
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,413

    No Chameleons?? C'mon!

    I LOVE mine!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  40. #40
    DaBomb Molotov rider
    Reputation: londonlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    347

    DaBomb hardtail

    Quote Originally Posted by Kosk
    I had an Instigator with a 3"-5" Psylo and thought it was not so much XC-ish. It has short chain stays, a short cockpit, and overall a short wheelbase. Very much more upright riding position than a XC bike, especially with a short freeriding stem. The Surly guys designed it to ride like a bike BMX bike, it's very flickable. I actually didn't like riding xc with it cuz the head tube angle was so raked out compared to a normal XC bike, the front end felt squirrely. (But that's why I had Psylo, so i could dial it down to 80mm).
    But this is juts my opnion, coming from the XC side of it. I'm sure if you were coming from the DH/FR side of things you may think it was more XC-ish. Still, I think it was the most versital, bomb proof, do anything bike I ever owned.
    Sounds like a similar set-up to what I have on my DaBomb Molotov, which also has a short chain stay, short cockpit and short wheelbase. It has a 16 inch frame, designed for 4X. Like you, I also have the Psylo fork. The Molotov is basically an overgrown BMX bike, and I also find it very solid/bombproof and versatile for all kinds of riding. But the geometry is definitely not for XC - I do great on downhills and rough sections, but the XC riders leave me for dead on the flat straight-aways and uphills. But for light freeriding and versatility (street, park, and everything else except XC), I find it a terrific hardtail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I LOVE mine!!
    I second that!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mandown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by overtheedge
    24-bicycles le toy 3.....fast, agile, and built to take just about anything
    yeah, to bad you ride like old people F%$K, slow and awkward

    i don't have a pic of it, but my ride of choice is a 2003 norco 5 hun. single speed. 3.0 nokians. rigid fork. 'nuff said.

  43. #43
    the man with 7 egos
    Reputation: Dairy_dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by theOtherMrT
    already posted this before...but here she goes again.
    how much did that setup cost?
    gravity isn't a law... it's more like a guidline

    "Pain is just natures way of telling you your in excrusiating agony..."-Johny Bravo's Dentist

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Felpur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    798
    Havent seen any posted, but my fav hardtail would have to be the Banshee scirroco..

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theOtherMrT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairy_dude
    how much did that setup cost?
    $2600, I still have $800 to pay off, but oh sweet moses it is worth it.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with sizing a hardtail FR.....
    By Lucid in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 11:05 AM
  2. Saber / Preston FR / DirtBag / Chaparral
    By PiroChu in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 04:33 AM
  3. Gary Fisher BIGG'NS FR hardtail.
    By TheSherpa in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 11:48 AM
  4. Marzocchi Z1 FR SL on a 5-Spot
    By blackjack843 in forum Turner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 02:46 PM
  5. post some hardtail fr porn
    By poobah in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.