Whats wrong with this picture?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775

    Whats wrong with this picture?

    Ok so I got my new bike but I think my shock may be too short. It looks like my chainstay is sloping down toward my bb. My current shock is a 2.25. Does anybody out there have an '03 Helius DH? Here are a couple pics to show you what I mean...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    From the center of the rear axle to the center of my bb it drops about an inch. Just to give you an idea of how slanted it is.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Coldfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    215
    if it came stock, it must be good.
    Check out the homepage fot the right shock size, or call Nicolai.

    Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

  4. #4
    Authority is dead!
    Reputation: Lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    It's just that the shock in the the middle of tt, something we aren't seeing too often, that's why it doesn't look normal.
    For the love of Oi

    Rent a house at Attitash

  5. #5
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Does the swingarm smack the front derailleur cage when compressing? It looks pretty close.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    If the BB drops an inch from the rear hub, that's not so low. Looks a little low compared to the newer Helius's though. Is that the stock shock?

  7. #7
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    No it's not the stock shock. The guy that was making it up for me put the romic on because the orginal shock had too heavy of a spring. The swingarm doesn't smack the derailleur cage.

  8. #8
    Buckle Up
    Reputation: WheelieMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    896
    It looks like you have the crowns on the fork down too far, if you move them up you will raise the bb a little bit. However the headangle might be too slack then, because you are using too short of a shock. Just buy the correct size shock.
    <><

  9. #9
    l337 |31k3r
    Reputation: Gramatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    It looks like you have the crowns on the fork down too far, if you move them up you will raise the bb a little bit. However the headangle might be too slack then, because you are using too short of a shock. Just buy the correct size shock.
    Thats what it looks like to me.

    If you have the money, get a new shock on there. If you like the romic, raise the crows up a bit.
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

    Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

  10. #10
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    Does anybody know what the i2i or the shock stroke is supposed to be on this bike?

  11. #11
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,815

    Frame setup looks OK to me

    The frame/shock setup looks kosher to me. If you look at the pic. of the left chainstay, if the shock was any longer eye-to-eye, the chainstay would contact the bottom bracket... So what is the actual bb height as it sits?
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  12. #12
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    The frame/shock setup looks kosher to me. If you look at the pic. of the left chainstay, if the shock was any longer eye-to-eye, the chainstay would contact the bottom bracket... So what is the actual bb height as it sits?
    When it is in the most travel setting the bb heght is 12.75".(I measure from the ground to the center of the bb) But here is a reason why I need a longer shock... Also I just noticed that my derailleur hanger will hit the frame!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Buckle Up
    Reputation: WheelieMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop
    When it is in the most travel setting the bb heght is 12.75".(I measure from the ground to the center of the bb) But here is a reason why I need a longer shock... Also I just noticed that my derailleur hanger will hit the frame!
    The derailleur hanger is what holds the rear derailleur on. So I think you mean the front derailleur will contact the chainstay? Yes you deffinately need a new shock.
    <><

  14. #14
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    Ya that's what I meant the front derailleur...... but ya when I took the shock out and went through the travel it hit. Does anybody think that with a longer shock it won't hit?

  15. #15
    Buckle Up
    Reputation: WheelieMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop
    Ya that's what I meant the front derailleur...... but ya when I took the shock out and went through the travel it hit. Does anybody think that with a longer shock it won't hit?
    As long as you have the correct shock it wont hit. Unless you have your front derailleur installed incorrectly.
    <><

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    It's definitely too short a shock. Looking at some of the newer Helius's, it looks pretty short. The easiest way to get the correct shock length is just to contact Nicolai.

  17. #17
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    I emailed Nicolai so hopefully they can tell me what size shock is supposed to be in there.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Let us know how it turns out...

  19. #19
    HAL
    HAL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    159

    Just checked fox's app guide and

    The 03' helius DH uses a 8.75 x 2.75 shock considerably longer than what you've got on there. Check it out here, it's a great resource for most bikes.

    http://www.foxracingshox.com/website...rketSalesId=94

  20. #20
    dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Reputation: Swoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL
    The 03' helius DH uses a 8.75 x 2.75 shock considerably longer than what you've got on there. Check it out here, it's a great resource for most bikes.

    http://www.foxracingshox.com/website...rketSalesId=94
    Hey man thanks a lot. That site is very useful. I even went to the Fox Shock site and didn't find anything. I will get back and post some pics of my bike finished.... Hopefully in a week or so.

  21. #21
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    scrape it

Similar Threads

  1. 970g Scott Carbon Hardtail!!
    By LAN in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 07:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 12:42 PM
  3. What is wrong with this picture?
    By notMurray in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 10:35 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.