Whats a good frame for XC AND FR???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whats a good frame for XC AND FR???

OK, I am looking for a heavier bike. Nothing to heavy though. I mostly do aggressive XC and some FR. What would you guys say would be a good frame that is sturdy but not to heavy that could handle both my needs? If you have this ideal ride, please post a PIC and tell me why it is so good and how much it wieghs.

Thanks!
    GOD made DIRT & DIRT don't hurt!!!

Samsonite Tester
    SC Heckler
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    something form the SC line up would do the trick...VP-Frees pedal well and have a 5th like most SC bikes and take take the big hits but im not sure if u could even get ur hands on one or if that would be to extreme for u...the other SC bikes could and probably would suit u...ask somone with either bullets or VP-Frees to post theres...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member

What ya think about???

I just found this KHS FR1500. It only wieghs 8 pounds. What you think about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Here's what I like..........

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Thumper
    OK, I am looking for a heavier bike. Nothing to heavy though. I mostly do aggressive XC and some FR. What would you guys say would be a good frame that is sturdy but not to heavy that could handle both my needs? If you have this ideal ride, please post a PIC and tell me why it is so good and how much it wieghs.

Thanks!
    I had a Kona Coiler for a while. I liked it a lot. It didn't weigh to much and was very pedal friendly. Find out more at www.konaworld.com It has 5" front and rear, and I pretty sure it is the old Stinky 5" frame.

Beau

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    that would work...and do a good job at that...if you like it then you should get it...

im a bike snob...and wouldnt buy it myself...but that doesnt mean theres anything wrong with it...

i dont know how it would pedal tho...if ur doing XC then you might want something that pedals well...ask around and see if ppl who have ridden them like em...

Uhhhhh...

Thanks!
    Get a good steal HT. It will be able to take abuse and be fast as phuck.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    any bike built for trail riding will do what u want it to really...check out the big brands websites and you should find alot of bikes then post em here and see what we think...

Iron Horse SGSs...RockyMountain Switchs...Santa Cruz Bullets.VP-Frees...Gemini 900.1000.2000...GT Ruckus 2.0s (mine is a great trail bike...the i-Drive enables it to pedal with ease the single pivot design makes it light and its very responsive and can handle the big hits)...Giant ACs...Orange Patriots...Yeti ASXs...most FR bikes with lighter componentry and an SC fork are all good for trail riding...yet the list is endless...also how much rear wheel travel are u looking for...most of these have 6"...i would reccomend 6"...

if weight really is ur concern then ask TWISTED about his trail Mountain Cycle its really nice...he might be able to hook u up with summin...

mtbr member

weight

I ride a K2 Disco Monkey right now. its really light, 24 lbs. I am looking for something to build that will be about 30 lbs. Here's a pic of my rig. It rides really nice but when it gets rough, it kinda beats you up and wants to busk you off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i have a foes fxr with a steel spring (ti isnt as tough), a z.1, 38t ring w/mrp guide, 2.5 in the front, 2.3 in the rear, 2 8inch rotors- i tear up drops, jumps, rocky terrain, and i still climb! ............sh*t i am the bloody man!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.skat
    i have a foes fxr with a steel spring (ti isnt as tough), a z.1, 38t ring w/mrp guide, 2.5 in the front, 2.3 in the rear, 2 8inch rotors- i tear up drops, jumps, rocky terrain, and i still climb! ............sh*t i am the bloody man!

undefinedBUY A FXR!

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    dam u are talking light...

What's this for anyway???

Thanks!
    Here's an option from way outta the blue... what about a Schwinn Rocket 1? I know Schwinn get a bad rap for being sold at larger stores but the Rocket 1 is made in Taiwan and has decent parts on it for the price. It would be fine for what you want to do and the only thing I'd change would be the forks. I even considered this for myself for racing 4X and dual slalom

---Matt---

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    no the schwinn will ride like poo..... go for a banshee chaparral. the frame is 11 or so lbs with a coil shock (5-6 " of travel), but it can be lighter with an air shock (4-5" of travel). The air shock setup changes the geometry so you can put a shorter fork on there if you'd like... the bike is beefy as heck, and won't break...ever.. and if it does, there;s a 10 year warrantee. It can be built up to a sub 30lb epic machine, or a 41lb freeride monster like mine (i just changed some components after the pic, if ur wondering how it isn't lighter). It pedals very well despite it's girth and suspension, and i'm sure with less travel and an air shock it should pedal like a hardtail... it is very active over bumps etc, it's like there arent any. just look into the chap, go test ride one, you'll love it. good luck on your search!
    im K2bikeman.. but u can guess why i i changed my name :)

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The chappral is a sweet bike but it's too much overkill for a light freeride/xc bike. The things are beefy as all get out but it would be a waste of a sweet frame with XC components. Maybe you should look into the 05 Kona Dawgs, supposedly they're going to be 5 inches and the frames aren't too heavy. Plus, they're cheaper than a Heckler.

Removed at birth
    Another vote for the Heckler. I've had my 04 for about 6 months now, and it is a great ride. At one time I was running it with a Boxxer race in the 6 inch mode, and it was just about the perfect do all machine. I now have a Z-1 on it to lighten it up a bit.
    Peace out! War In!

Card Carrying Member
    I'm looking for the same rig. Something I can get stupid on OR ride 20+ miles TO get stupid on. I've had a few single pivot bikes though, so I'm going to give this 4 bar thing a try. I looked at the Banshee bikes and they surely were as beefy as I like, but that weight is crazy for any kind of sustained climbing. The 5 spot is nice, but a little too xc, it's not going to hold up to hard riding and it's overly expensive. The Moment is cool, but I could never buy an Ells and feel cozy inside about it, and it's crazy high too. So, what I think I'm going to end up getting is an Azonic Saber. It's the frame I keep coming back to after looking at all the rest. It's 5-6" adjustable, beefy enough to handle heavy trail use (freeride) and some light DH. The headangle isn't stupid steep with a 130mm fork and the frame isn't 10lbs. I can also slap a DC on there for lift days. I have heard of problems with the Romic on there, but I'm hoping they have that lined out now or at the very least, next month.

Xtremely Moderate
    Go go BansheeBikeMan.....

Want a bash bike?-------------> Chappy.
    Best damn warranty there is (10 yrs).

Although I think to get it down to 30 lbs. you'd have to use some pretty wussy components. Mine is about 35-ish I think, give or take .5 lb.

The 30lb range is kinda tough. You'll have to make compromises.

Second choices (Heavy to Light): Stinky, Joker, ID, Coiler, Heckler (you could go on forever)
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I ride a K2 Disco Monkey right now. its really light, 24 lbs. I am looking for something to build that will be about 30 lbs. Here's a pic of my rig. It rides really nice but when it gets rough, it kinda beats you up and wants to busk you off.
    i doubt it, avid disc brakes are hella heavy, usually 375x2 for the caliper and rotor, add 200 for levers and add 200 for cables, it's hard to make a hardtail bike under 24lbs with avids, it is definitely possible, but those K2 frames are not light either (they have pretty thick tubing) I know, I had one. I'd say no lighter than 26lbs, but probably 27 or 28.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

The Big Dog
    Jun 2004

FOES Fly...with Romic shock

You could usually find them pretty cheap on e-bay or even on mtbr...dont be afraid of buying a clean used frame. You could save a lot of money that way and if there's any problems, Brent Foes stands behind his bikes!
    I refuse to accept defeat...I will destroy my body to bring VICTORY!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    whoops, the chap frame is 8 or 9 lbs... the scream is 12-13? oh well... all the bikes listed will suit you well.. or try the HT route as thesherpa mentioned... its all good!
    im K2bikeman.. but u can guess why i i changed my name :)

mtbr member
    Hecklers are super popular, I'd say get the chap! people say it's heavy, you dont notice it when you throw a leg over it.. it's a super versitile frame, duel crown or single, 24" or 26" wheels. If you freeride more you cant go wrong with the chap, If you more xc oriented prolly the heckler might be a better choice... either way you cant go wrong their both sweet bikes.. I have a chap with a z1 , romic and 24" rear and climbing and long hauls arent an issue. even 20+ ers..

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheebikeman
    whoops, the chap frame is 8 or 9 lbs... the scream is 12-13? oh well... all the bikes listed will suit you well.. or try the HT route as thesherpa mentioned... its all good!
    no, the chap frame is 10.75, and the scream is 14
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Xtremely Moderate
    I agree.

Chaparral (hardcore) or Heckler (lightcore).

Can't lose either way.
    Just depends if you're willing to lug around 5 xtra lbs.

A wise man once told me............. you are the engine.

Knowing that I went Chap.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

24 lbs.???

24lbs. I seriously doubt your scale is accurate. My stock DM weighed about 30lbs.