what's a good everything fork?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396

    what's a good everything fork?

    it's gonna go on my hardtail..

    it needs to have travel adjust so i can put it low for dj/urban and high (like 150mm) for trail/freeriding...


    20mm or not (cuz i got the adapter.)

    so far the top choices are:

    Sheman (which one? TPC or SPV or both )

    Fox 36 (or o5 vanilla cuz they're a lot beefier and stiffer)

    Pike (has the travel adjust, but i'm not so sure about reliability)

    Marz doesn't have anything unless i wanna make a mix between a z1 and a AM and that's stupid expensive.


    any others?

  2. #2
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,356
    since you weigh about 75 pounds soak and wet. you really cant go wrong with any of them.....


  3. #3
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    since you weigh about 75 pounds soak and wet. you really cant go wrong with any of them.....
    lol...

    i want it for the geometry and i don't like the flexiness of my vanillas... (yes, even though i'm only 100 lbs, i can tell)


    and whenever you do a stoppie, they crack... so i might sell them for the o5's which are stiffer (a lot) or one of these since i have a 20 mm hub.

  4. #4
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,356
    if i were your size, i'd seriously consider the Pike....

    my homie jake had one for a while and he got down on it, seemd to take his abusiveness well...


  5. #5
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    if i were your size, i'd seriously consider the Pike....

    my homie jake had one for a while and he got down on it, seemd to take his abusiveness well...
    what he have now?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skatetokil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    387
    I've had my eye on a new firefly for similar purposes. 110-150mm, titanium spings stock, spv evolve so you can get up hills, and it weighs 5 pounds (or so they claim) . I'm just waiting till the price drops to pick one up.

  7. #7
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by skatetokil
    I've had my eye on a new firefly for similar purposes. 110-150mm, titanium spings stock, spv evolve so you can get up hills, and it weighs 5 pounds (or so they claim) . I'm just waiting till the price drops to pick one up.
    would i notice a didderence from spv and tpc?

  8. #8
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Pike. No question. Shermans are nice, but still, Pike. You can pick up one for like $324. Light, strong, reliable, travel adjust, 20mm, good at just about everything.

    On a related note, I'm thinking about getting a Nixon Comp for my Patriot to use as a trail fork. Similar features, with 145mm travel, etc. Just wish Marzocchi would put about 10mm more travel into the All-Mountain 3 and I'd be all over that. There are a lot of forks that will do good at just about everything, but some of them aren't meant to be hucked. The Pike can huck, the Sherman can huck, Z1, 36, etc. You have a lot of choices in this department.
    Trestle Bike Park

  9. #9
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    Pike. No question. Shermans are nice, but still, Pike. You can pick up one for like $324. Light, strong, reliable, travel adjust, 20mm, good at just about everything.

    On a related note, I'm thinking about getting a Nixon Comp for my Patriot to use as a trail fork. Similar features, with 145mm travel, etc. Just wish Marzocchi would put about 10mm more travel into the All-Mountain 3 and I'd be all over that. There are a lot of forks that will do good at just about everything, but some of them aren't meant to be hucked. The Pike can huck, the Sherman can huck, Z1, 36, etc. You have a lot of choices in this department.
    i was thinking that, but is it reliable? plush? stiff? etc..

  10. #10
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    i was thinking that, but is it reliable? plush? stiff? etc..
    I've heard nothing but good things about it, nothing breaking, f-ing up, etc. Better track record than the Nixons, Stances, Dorado, etc. Apparently SRAM got RockShox's $hit together and they are making some nice stuff now. The Pike is the perfect example of that.
    Trestle Bike Park

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    i was thinking that, but is it reliable? plush? stiff? etc..
    I second the vote for the PIKE , looks like a great fork ... it also meets your desired needs .. travel ajust , good urban fork and also good for trails .
    Plus it's only like $375.00 so that's like what 5 SoCal size lawns you would have to mow !!
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  12. #12
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    If $$$ is no object, get the 36. You'll be stoked on how stiff it is, and the travel adjust works well also. I've put 100 or so miles on mine, and so far so good.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  13. #13
    Still on Training Wheels!
    Reputation: drum714's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,107
    I've been thrashing my Pike Race for a few months now and have nothing but good things to say about it! The fork has done everything that i've asked it to do XC, DJ, DH, Freeride and I have yet to find a weekness in the fork. It is super adjustable and could easily be tuned to whatever ride you might be doing that day. For the price though, you cant go wrong. I could get 2 Pikes for the price of one comprable fork from any other manufacturer.

    I dont realy have anything to compare it to, however there have been plenty of other people that have used shermans and Z1's and now swear by the Pike.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.


    Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

  14. #14
    Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    404
    My vote is for the Sherman.

    Don't tell my friends at Marz that, but I really liked mine.
    AND, Marz doesn't even make anything comprobable right now.
    I love the Z1 or the DJ series, but if you insist on easy travel adjustment...go Sherman.

    Oh...and I just ordered my fork from Marz. Wait till you see it
    When my HT is done we will be riding for sure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

    "Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"

  15. #15
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderizzle
    My vote is for the Sherman.

    Don't tell my friends at Marz that, but I really liked mine.
    AND, Marz doesn't even make anything comprobable right now.
    I love the Z1 or the DJ series, but if you insist on easy travel adjustment...go Sherman.

    Oh...and I just ordered my fork from Marz. Wait till you see it
    When my HT is done we will be riding for sure.
    Yup...Marzocchi could do with a bigger lineup. I'd like something like a longer travel All-Mountain with 20mm as well as to expand the Z.1 lineup so it has more lightweight 6-inch models. From what I understand, they will be overhauling the 66 series, so that might be cool.
    Trestle Bike Park

  16. #16
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    Yup...Marzocchi could do with a bigger lineup. I'd like something like a longer travel All-Mountain with 20mm as well as to expand the Z.1 lineup so it has more lightweight 6-inch models. From what I understand, they will be overhauling the 66 series, so that might be cool.
    it's supposed to have 40 mm stachions right?

  17. #17
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    it's supposed to have 40 mm stachions right?
    I heard that they were giving it its own dedicated lowers and lightening it up a bit...which is awesome news. As for the 40mm stanchions...I kinda doubt it, but if you heard that somewhere, please, fill me in. That would be very interesting to say the least.
    Trestle Bike Park

  18. #18
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    I heard that they were giving it its own dedicated lowers and lightening it up a bit...which is awesome news. As for the 40mm stanchions...I kinda doubt it, but if you heard that somewhere, please, fill me in. That would be very interesting to say the least.
    i heard it on the forums...


    even though they're changing it, it's still a dh fork, right?

  19. #19
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    i heard it on the forums...


    even though they're changing it, it's still a dh fork, right?
    Yup...DH/FR. They won't be messing with the damping or travel to my knowledge.
    Trestle Bike Park

  20. #20
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    Yup...DH/FR. They won't be messing with the damping or travel to my knowledge.
    200mm would be awsome though.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    810
    I have a Pike on my HT and a 36 on my Heckler.

    The Pike is great but the 36 blows it out of the water. It's the best fork I've ever ridden. Stiff, plush, tracks great, super adjustable. I love it

  22. #22
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    i am leaning towards the firefly plus, but would the jumper mess up my geometry (if i'm running a vanilla rlc right now)?

  23. #23
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    724
    Just picked up a 36 at my LBS tonight and they weighed that and the 66 they have in stock and my 36 was 1.4 pounds lighter!! That's huge! No ride time on it yet, so I can't tell you anything about it's performance.

  24. #24
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Just picked up a 36 at my LBS tonight and they weighed that and the 66 they have in stock and my 36 was 1.4 pounds lighter!! That's huge! No ride time on it yet, so I can't tell you anything about it's performance.
    66 is in a class by itself for the moment...a true DH/FR single crown. The 36 is not meant for downhilling, so its better to compare it to the Z1 FR1 or the Sherman Firefly/Breakout. Verdict is that the 36 is not all that much lighter than either, and actually about the same weight at the Firefly. Personally I would love a 36 but they are way over priced. I can't afford something like that.
    Trestle Bike Park

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie question: What makes a good fork
    By Philly_BikeGuy in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 11:17 PM
  2. Help: Rock Shox Pilot XC fork any good?
    By Creelove in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 09:27 AM
  3. Inexpensive bike with good frame (and fork)?
    By canuck88 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 11:03 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM
  5. Cannondale Lefty Max+ compared to TALAS :my $.02
    By dawgcatching in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 10:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.