What's the best downhill tire for colorado dh?- Mtbr.com
    keystone addict

What's the best downhill tire for colorado dh?

I am so freakin sick of pinch flatting 14 dollar dh tubes in my kenda kinetics even when I run way high pressure, so I'm gonna get some better tires. I would prefer maxxis, cuz everyone says its impossible to flat them. I like big tires too, so i was thinkin the 2.7 size. I have a friend who says minions rock and highrollers suck, and another friend who says highrollers rock and minions suck . What do you guys think? If you recommend something besides maxxis, tell me!

On a side note, is it hard/expensive to convert to tubeless and is it worth it? I was thinking of maybe just doing that instead.

Thanks, guys

Welcoming Doormat
    High rollers for sure, i think they handle loose stuff better, and are overall better. but also another good combo is highroller front minion rear.... but i still prefer highroller front and back
    A Proud Member of The Zombie Killer Squadron "we kill zombies dead"

eci
    Minion front high roller rear. 2.5's both. its worked good for me the past 2 years.
    also depends on where you are riding we have alot of dry dusty days out here.

some people run minions front and rear. its alot of personal preference.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    I am so freakin sick of pinch flatting 14 dollar dh tubes in my kenda kinetics even when I run way high pressure, so I'm gonna get some better tires. I would prefer maxxis, cuz everyone says its impossible to flat them. I like big tires too, so i was thinkin the 2.7 size. I have a friend who says minions rock and highrollers suck, and another friend who says highrollers rock and minions suck . What do you guys think? If you recommend something besides maxxis, tell me!

On a side note, is it hard/expensive to convert to tubeless and is it worth it? I was thinking of maybe just doing that instead.

Thanks, guys
    I can't comment on what the best DH tire is for Colorado, but I have some experiance with tubeless now.
    I just did the switch to tubeless the ghetto way about a month ago, although I was never able to get the front to hold air, the rear wheel is holding air fine. I run non-tubeless rims with tubeless tires. I love the way my rear (tubeless wheel) feels, for my local DH spot, I have to deal with REALLY loose dirt, almost sand over hard pack, dry desert dirt, and tons of loose rocks. I can run really low pressure which helps with traction. Also, being a heavy guy, I can run more than the recomended tube pressure when I want, making for less rolling resistance.
    Do a search and find the link to NSMB.com's write up on ghetto tubeless, cost me about $30.
    You can also buy Stans no-tube setup, which I think runs about $60-80 and I've been told is much better than ghetto.
    I have no idea how much full UST will run you though, so no help there.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member

Schwalbe

Was running 2.35" KENDRA's (Blue Groovies & Nevegels), but their sidewalls are way to thin.. Blew out three sidewalls in less than 2 years.. Heckler + Bullit DH, FR, & CC...

SCHWALBE Big Betties now !!

No tire is perfect for all circumstances (obviously), but the Big-Betties seem to be the best compromise...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Minion front high roller rear. 2.5's both. its worked good for me the past 2 years.
    also depends on where you are riding we have alot of dry dusty days out here.

some people run minions front and rear. its alot of personal preference.
    I am a fan of this

I go for the Minion in front because it grips better in turns......IMO the highroller slides out too much for me......in the rear the Highroller rolls reallly fast and still has great breaking ability
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker

Thanks, guys
    Intense FRO / SR 50 4 Ply ( they are sometimes called 909's ), I run a 2.7 in the front, and a 2.5 in the rear on my Uzzi VPX.
    They are fk'in heavy, and a real mofo to put on ( use moto tire irons ), but trust me they don't flat, and they are like riding on rails at speed. Honest bro, nothing better.
    They just don't flat.
    RTW.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    hahah yeah, if you're worried about flatting, just run intense tires, you probably don't even need to put air in them...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    maxxis hookworms.

you CAN'T go wrong.

or some high roller just cause i always hear the best about them, but i guess if you don't like the feeling of the front you cant go wrong with a minion up front cause i've heard alot of good stuff about this set up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    hahah yeah, if you're worried about flatting, just run intense tires, you probably don't even need to put air in them...
    Last edited by rickthewelder; 07-05-2006 at 09:04 PM.

mtbr member
    if you want to stop pinch flatting and like wider tires, and great traction on everything IMO...go with a michelin 2.8 up front(don't know how many models they make) and a 2.7 intense 909 EX in the rear. this combo works great for loose, hardpacked, wet, rocky, dry etc etc etc and WILL NOT get pinch flats....i have ridden it tons of different places and always does well. IMO maxxis is a good company but there are many other tires that are just as good for the same price.

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Ha, ha, ha! IF you can even get them on your rim. I had some Intense 2.7s a long time ago that had the thickest sidewalls I've ever seen. And what a @#$% to get on the rim.

I've been running a Panaracer 2.5 up front and a Minion 2.35 in the rear with nary a flat for a looooong time (knock on wood). Of course I run higher pressure than most folks. I'm 220 lbs and I run my tires at about 35 psi.

Equal opportunity meanie
    I don't believe that nobody has mentioned Michelins yet. Comp 32 or Comp 16 front and Comp 24 or Comp 16 rear. Way way better than any Maxxis or Kenda I've tried, although I'm going to be giving the new Hutchy's a run pretty soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0