what you SHOULD say to Canadian customs..- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

what you SHOULD say to Canadian customs..

Customs agent: " have you ever been convicted of a crime?"
    Whistler Bound Biker: (here's the tricky part so practice this) "NO sir."

You guys get all that? I know its tough to remember the line but with practice you'll get it down.

OK, enough with that. Despite not getting to huck with the Huckster himself, we got some great riding in up at Whistler. Noel (Knolly) gave us a look at his proto bike (which seems really well thought out and completely sick) as he and his crew (Andrew and Jim) did a few runs with us including a leg buster through Garbanzo during extended play after we'd long since been cooked. I'll let Noel describe his auspicious start to that ride (lol!) but after the first 10 feet were behind us, Noel and the boys ripped down Garbanzo making us work hard to keep up.

We also got some amazing riding in on A River Runs Through It (sick fun birdges and ladders), Section 102, the Pemberton trails, and Kill Me Thrill me ending the trip with a demented 6hr epic on Comfortably Numb (a must ride IMO) with Scott (Tarpon) and his bro Andy. Scott, sicko that he is, rode the entire ride on his Evil Imperial on flats! I suspect he regrets that choice of pedals but tough guys don't admit that kinda stuff so you won't hear him b!tch about it.

I'll have a detailed report with much better pics tomorrow or early next week but here are a few from the park that made it. Note, these were taken with a disposable camera by the photographically challenged so basically, they blow. Also note, this was my first time on a full suspension bike. I just started the "FR" thing this year havnig been an xc/roadie guy in the past (I know, ack!) so I had no idea just what I could or couldn't do on anything but a hardtail. All in all, I was pretty happy with how I rode and was able to hit almost everything the park had to offer (albeit with less style than the seasoned FR'ers). Anyhow, here's some pics with more to come which are hopefully much better.

The first two are taken on some of the small jumps/drops on Dirt Merchant (my favorite trail in the park), the next is in the practice drop area, then the famous GLC drops and a nice drop line on Schleyer.

Peace all,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    Customs agent: " have you ever been convicted of a crime?"
    Whistler Bound Biker: (here's the tricky part so practice this) "NO sir."

You guys get all that? I know its tough to remember the line but with practice you'll get it down.
    Peace all,
    Scott
    oh yeah, where were you with your helpful advice last week.........

glad to hear that you guys had an awesome time...

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    oh yeah, where were you with your helpful advice last week.........

glad to hear that you guys had an awesome time...
    I overlooked the obvious man, sorry .

It was a great time but I think it would have upped the ante (so to speak) had you and Mark made it too. Next year. My father in law has a sea plane we can crate you in on, would that work?

eh-nay Ityopia!

New project, TBA shortly
    Question: Are you an American Citizen?
    Answer: Yes.
    Question: Do you have any firearms or explosives?
    Answer: Yes. Dammit, I always get that question wrong!!

South Park episode was on last night...

Glad to Be Alive
    post more pics

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    post more pics
    should have some by the end of the weekend. Two of my travellin buddies have to get off their @zzes and get them over to me. Theirs were taken with "real" cameras and while our photography skillz are still lame, the quality should be much better.

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member

At least I had the best walking shoes...

The biggest problem with Comfortably Numb was that we were all unprepared for the length and effort involved. That trail had to be significantly longer than the ~25km listed in the guide. Even if I had clipless it still would not have helped after running out of water with 2 hours to go.

Glad you guys had a good time, next trip you need to hit some of the Vancouver trails. Did you have any trouble getting back to Seattle on time for the flight out?
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

USB Rep'n

OK, here's a few more

xc stuff really but xc is much different by BC standards. Some of this stuf was nuts, especially on the hardtail....

Kill Me, Thrill Me
    A River Runs Thru It (he caught me before I got on the stunt! - doh!)
    3 shots taken on Comfortably Numb
    Attached Images Attached Images

eh-nay Ityopia!

Pro Crastinator
    post more pics
    hey shiver, opposite mountain tonight at 6?

Glad to Be Alive
    W C or WOD side???
    yeah

misseds your call last night....was riding the mountain

Pro Crastinator
    W C or WOD side???
    yeah
    your side....

Glad to Be Alive
    C senore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    OK, enough with that. Despite not getting to huck with the Huckster himself, we got some great riding in up at Whistler. Noel (Knolly) gave us a look at his proto bike (which seems really well thought out and completely sick) as he and his crew (Andrew and Jim) did a few runs with us including a leg buster through Garbanzo during extended play after we'd long since been cooked. I'll let Noel describe his auspicious start to that ride (lol!) but after the first 10 feet were behind us, Noel and the boys ripped down Garbanzo making us work hard to keep up.
    Hum - start of that ride: Clipping pedal on 4" diameter vertical stake while pedalling out of the saddle = flying over the bars within the first 10' on a flat section of trail

Scott: I had a great time riding with you guys (sorry you didn't make WCH) and I'm glad your trip was good! I took a few days just to chill out and ride the park and the North Secret (the first "half" of your big loop), then booked back down to Van on Wednesday to do more work for Knolly, then back up to Whistler to ride PHD (mmm - yummy rock faces), then back to Vancouver, then up to Britannia on Saturday (yesterday) for a helitrip down Disneyland. That was sweet! (BTW - how'd you like that chasm crossing on Comfortably numb - pretty spectacular, eh?)

Payment for yesterday is spending the entine Sunday in the machine shop getting the V-tach's seat stay welding fixture ready so that they can go for welding this week. Man - so much to do, so little time.

Definitely will be interested in hooking up next time you guys are up or when I'm in Ohio next.

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Hum - start of that ride: Clipping pedal on 4" diameter vertical stake while pedalling out of the saddle = flying over the bars within the first 10' on a flat section of trail

Scott: I had a great time riding with you guys (sorry you didn't make WCH) and I'm glad your trip was good! I took a few days just to chill out and ride the park and the North Secret (the first "half" of your big loop), then booked back down to Van on Wednesday to do more work for Knolly, then back up to Whistler to ride PHD (mmm - yummy rock faces), then back to Vancouver, then up to Britannia on Saturday (yesterday) for a helitrip down Disneyland. That was sweet! (BTW - how'd you like that chasm crossing on Comfortably numb - pretty spectacular, eh?)

Payment for yesterday is spending the entine Sunday in the machine shop getting the V-tach's seat stay welding fixture ready so that they can go for welding this week. Man - so much to do, so little time.

Definitely will be interested in hooking up next time you guys are up or when I'm in Ohio next.

Noel
    Im still kinda laughing at that start Noel. KNowing the kind of rider you are is what really makes it funny, glad you appreciated the humor as well.

Thanks again for dragging us back up to Garbanzo to show us how its really done. You guys are awesome and I know we'd have never gone back to the top on our own at that point of the day.

I can't wait to see the V-tach's when done (glad I know what the [email protected]!! it means too!). Sounds like you did a whilwind tour there man, between thatm the job, a wife, the bike company....you are defining burning the candle at both ends.

Make sure you let me know when you are going to be out here next and I'll get things set up for us. It won't be Whistler but I thnk we can find some trouble to get into anyway.

Peace Noel!

eh-nay Ityopia!