what would you guys do with this space?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

what would you guys do with this space?

dont wanna go too crazy as this is my parents house and am away at school most of the year. Im thinking a 2-4ft high plywood jump off the concrete then just a track that weaves in and out of the trees with maybe a couple jumps, maybe a couple of the ladder things? let me know what you guys think

The Beaver
    What kind of bike do you have?
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    klein mantra, kona stinky. both at school right now so im sporting my dads trek 850 for spring break!!!

banned
    id invite Zack Dank and his budies over give him a couple six pack, and let him go wild. Youll have the sickest set up

The Beaver
    so you are going to be building this mostly for the stinky. I would build a low laying (artistic looking) skinny's and ladders... make them lead into a line of DJ's
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

The Beaver
    also, you should invite over as many riders possible to build it. where are you at?
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Glad to Be Alive
    frick why you were thinking of building and taking pictures

I would have been building already
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

moaaar shimz
    Pumppppp track

The Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Pumppppp track
    not with the stinky, if he had a dj hardtail that is what I would do too.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    screw something bike related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8lSyGavc4
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

N* Bomber Crew
    I'd invite a ton of friends over and have a Barbecue and a keg.

Don't tear it up too much dude, thats a NICE backyard. Grill it up after shredding elsewhere.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    that is a really nice backyard to keep the lawn nice i would go with an artistic looking latter run with drops and teeter totters and stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'd mow it

then I'd build a 4' high platform on the porch to drop off of into a line of DJs. Then I'd build a small tranny to land on
    and get some pump for a small six ft gap DJ. This should lead into a series of DJs that get each one gets larger as you you go down the hill. At the bottom of the hill there should be a clamshell berm at least three ft high that turns you back up the hill with a nice little DJ att he exit of the berm. After you build the main line you can put in options for ladders and skinnies that sprout off this line. One of my favs is a pyramid shaped skinny made out of two 2x6s each twelve ft long with a post in the middle about three ft high.
    Last edited by crazy Jim; 03-23-2008 at 07:34 AM.

go huck yourself
    make a jump off the concrete to a landing into a line of jumps and ladders. then pain the wood brown and plant grass in the landings
    Dirt jumps come and go, but dirt junkies will dig forever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    alright so im finally back home. the first thing i want to do is build a plywood jump off the concrete. how high do you guys think it should be? 1-2ft? I plan to make it out of a single sheet of plywood so it cant be too steep. Ive never built a wood jump before do you guys have any tips?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    just think about some of the jumps you have hit and make it similar to it for starters

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmpower
    alright so im finally back home. the first thing i want to do is build a plywood jump off the concrete. how high do you guys think it should be? 1-2ft? I plan to make it out of a single sheet of plywood so it cant be too steep. Ive never built a wood jump before do you guys have any tips?
    No. Because I can guarantee you will get bored with that really quickly. If you're gunna build a jump, build it as big as you think you can: 1. build it to the max of your current jumping ability, and 2. build it as big as you can, given the yard space/approach and landing distance.
    I know your 'rents would probably never go for it, but if they somehow would let you build a roof drop, that would be tits! You could shoot off the roof of your house, then it would bring you right to the (bigger than 2ft) launch.
    Other than that, I'm in total agreement with rustyskills. If you could build it sort of artsy and let it blend in with the backyard, that would make both you and your rents happy.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    to be honest i havent really done that much jumping. some but nothing like this has the potential to be. I should probably just ghetto rig a small one for a couple days then build a big one. I was also thinking i should build one like 2 ft that curves slightly then i could just build another section that starts at 2 feet and goes to 4 or 5

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmpower
    to be honest i havent really done that much jumping. some but nothing like this has the potential to be. I should probably just ghetto rig a small one for a couple days then build a big one. I was also thinking i should build one like 2 ft that curves slightly then i could just build another section that starts at 2 feet and goes to 4 or 5
    Ha. Yeah, I thought about that just as soon as I posted what I did. Doubles are always good, but do you have the room/distance in your 'rents back yard to put two sets of launches/trannies in the yard?
    Another thing I thought about that I should have mentioned is that if you haven't done that much jumping, then yeah, start out with a smaller ramp but all the while, plan/make the layout so you can always put a bigger jump there once you get comfortable with and 'outgrow' the smaller jump.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

Pro Crastinator
    i wouldn't waste my time with anything other than jumps...

moaaar shimz
    btw WCH, it's spelled thief not theif (signature)

mtbr member
    You should build a full on SlopeStyle course and host a comp every summer to pay for school...
    I think your parents would like that idea the most jajaj

Really it's not that hard...look at the QASHQAI events...they work with less than half the space you have...all it takes is some creativity and some flyers to make it happen.

Pro Crastinator
    noted...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    this should be a start. I cant wait till tmr when i can pick up my bike from my friends house

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Pump track. Big bike or not, it's the best use of a small space.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i dont have a full face right now, I should probably get one though huh? I guess the only think that could hurt me is my bike

I can ride a two-wheeler
    you could dig berms into the ground...like a foot deep into it

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Members who have read this thread: 0