What would you do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What would you do?

Well, I have a choice to make... and a really tough one.

I'm deciding between buying a jamis dakar XAM 1.0 and a Transition Vagrant frame with a Fox Vanilla RLC. The price tag for the vagrant should be around the 1200$ range... i have to buy brakes and what not, The XAM is around the 1600$ range. my local trails don't include drops larger than 6 feet ( approximately) so i think i'd manage with a hardtail.

What would you guys do?

Also, if i need disc brakes, do i have to change the whole rim or just the hub?

moaaar shimz
    XAM is a sweet bike

check your six
    Fully or Hardtail??

I think that you will have more fun with the XAM. A fully is a great set-up, especially if you are in it for the fun and not a pro. I have two fullys and one hardtail. The hardtail rarely get's ridden outside of the neighborhood. Go for the XAM!!!

mtbr member
    What do you mean the hardtail rarely gets ridden outside of the neighborhood?

Any answers on the rim/hub/brake question?

moaaar shimz
    You just need to change the hub, and probably cut the spokes if the new hub has a larger diameter.

Pivotal figure
    If your rim isn't beat up too bad you can get by with just a hub. You're already going to be getting a hub and spokes plus the cost of the wheel build so unless your rims are fairly pricey I'd just get a whole new wheel.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    answered my question, thanks.

Still a child inside...
    There is nothing a Vagrant can't or won't do....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah i vote vagrant

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    What do you mean the hardtail rarely gets ridden outside of the neighborhood?

Any answers on the rim/hub/brake question?
    I ride my hardtail mainly urban, so with that it rarely gets ridden much. I do more free-ridey stuff like drops and launches as well as downhill. When I am out to ride, it is usually to ride big. IMO, a hardtail is not my favorite thing to do drops and bomb downhill. However, it is fun to rip around on a hardtail urban-style. My riding preference is with a fully.

It seems that I am out voted here though. The Vagrant looks to be the mutual agreement. I am sure you will love what-ever ride you get.

NICE KID...NICE

Vagrant???

I have to say I am rather one sided on this one. I am a transition guy to the end. I have a 06 Dirt bag and a 07 Gran Mal. I am also looking to build a Vagrant for urban and light free ride. Everyone should have a hard tail. I think it keeps you smooth. The Vagrant is so versatile and strong. Finally, Transition has Crash Replacement... Versatile, Strong and Crash Replacement, three things that will give you confidence of those 6 foot drops. So if you go hard tail...Go Vagrant.

Turkey Vulture N Training
    ya right now im looking at the Ridge or Vagrant... but i dont have the funds anyways.
    Rolling Down Trails.... Slowly
    06 Iron Horse Yakuza
    06 Kona Stuff
    www.pedalshop.com

Members who have read this thread: 0