What Tubes do you run?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    291

    What Tubes do you run?

    I got a flat yesterday while riding a tech trail. I was running Kenda Freeride tubes. With my saint stuff, it's a pain in the ass to take the rear wheel off. I don't want to run full on DH tubes, because I ride trails and DH on this bike. I still need to be able to grind up long climbs. Can any recommend a good FR tube, something under 400grams, but still burly enough to avoid pinch flats. Oh I have mavic 729 rims and run kenda sticky 2.6 tires.

  2. #2
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    i stopped running tubes. That solved my flatting problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    680
    2 words no tubes

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,740
    I run Nokian Gazzolodi tubes. Not as heavy as full on DH tubes but, because of the higher percentage of rubber vs. carbon seem to flat a lot less.
    Here's a link...
    http://www.suomityres.fi/bike/unitubespecs/index.html
    Weight is about 310 grams.
    Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    2 words no tubes

  5. #5
    TT.
    TT. is offline
    wheeler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    560
    tubes no thanks...made the switch three seasons ago and have been tube (read PITA) free since..

    check out www.notubes.com
    I Ride, I Know

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    810
    I agree with the others, get rid of those tubes, ghetto tubeless is the $hit.

  7. #7
    SNOWRIDER
    Reputation: Deweydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    gazza dh though considering tubeless
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Check this thread for DIY tubeless info - pros and cons.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...216#post856216
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    www.yestubes.com <---all you wildest dreams will come true.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    www.yestubes.com <---all you wildest dreams will come true.
    Whats the deal-e-o wit em? Are they just normal tubes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  11. #11
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Whats the deal-e-o wit em? Are they just normal tubes?
    You're not too bright are you?
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  12. #12
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Whats the deal-e-o wit em? Are they just normal tubes?
    they're better than normal; they're uber-normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    You're not too bright are you?
    Umm, i read the website, but cant derive any info on what exactly they are. I realize they are people against tubless, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    810
    Oh man, lmao!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LandonVega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    You're not too bright are you?
    they dont spend to much time explaining the product but instead they just insult stans no tubes
    signature

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Umm, i read the website, but cant derive any info on what exactly they are. I realize they are people against tubless, but...
    The page is a joke, dude. They are just making fun of Stan's and the problems that go with them. Personally I think that running stan's is well worth it.

  17. #17
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Umm, i read the website, but cant derive any info on what exactly they are. I realize they are people against tubless, but...
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

    Hint:

    "Q: How much weight do you save using Oliver's Yes Tubes?

    A: That varies by application, but in our experience the wait savings would have been many minutes, if not hours, if our riding buddies had been using Oliver's Yes Tube system."

    The site is BS, made by mtbr's own Pete.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  18. #18
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by LandonVega
    they dont spend to much time explaining the product but instead they just insult stans no tubes
    Hahahah!
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

    Hint:

    "Q: How much weight do you save using Oliver's Yes Tubes?

    A: That varies by application, but in our experience the wait savings would have been many minutes, if not hours, if our riding buddies had been using Oliver's Yes Tube system."

    The site is BS, made by mtbr's own Pete.
    I came to that conclusion when i saw http://www.yestubes.com/contact.htm "OYT, inc.World Headquarters and Juice bar."

    I've been punked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  20. #20
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    I came to that conclusion when i saw http://www.yestubes.com/contact.htm "OYT, inc.World Headquarters and Juice bar."
    ah hahaaha.....that gets me everytime
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    2 words no tubes
    A tubeless wheel set would be too expensive, plus I've heard all 829 rims have been sold out. ALso I like my 729 with saint hubs, nothing wrong with those wheels

  22. #22
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    A tubeless wheel set would be too expensive, plus I've heard all 829 rims have been sold out. ALso I like my 729 with saint hubs, nothing wrong with those wheels
    it would cost about 25$ to convert your 729s to tubeless using the ghetto-tubeless method. Most tubeless riders arent running 823s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  23. #23
    Innovate or die!
    Reputation: j6105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    702

    hey gregz

    I don't have tubes, but if i were still a tube guy, I would use the specialized 1.2 mm FR tubes. They are made for specialized by kenda and are 1.2 mm (normal is 0.8mm and full on heavy DH is 2.0mm). I used those with single ply tires for a year (at northstar, mammoth, and sea otter etc) and they never flatted-- they are significantly less than full DH tubes. They sound like just what you are looking for. Good stuff-- check them out at http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...pTubesMountain

    P.S. on the website is says .8, but they are really 1.2
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

  24. #24
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    ghetto tubless systems are the way to go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  25. #25
    SNOWRIDER
    Reputation: Deweydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    what if you guys do have a flat and break the bead seal on the trail you are pretty much done! your not going to get the tire reinflated with a hand pump.
    Or do you still carry a tube to put in in case of a tral disaster?
    Tubeless may be great when they hold air (weight, able to run lower pressure),but the hassle of trail repairs has got to suck, and that is the only reason I haven't gone there yet!
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    810
    Yeah you just carry a spare tube like you would if you ran tubes, I have had zero problem though! Might be a little messy but no huge deal. I run 20inch tubes for the rim strip if I had a problem I would need to pull out the 20" tube and put in a 26" tube.

  27. #27
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydude
    what if you guys do have a flat and break the bead seal on the trail you are pretty much done! your not going to get the tire reinflated with a hand pump.
    Or do you still carry a tube to put in in case of a tral disaster?
    Tubeless may be great when they hold air (weight, able to run lower pressure),but the hassle of trail repairs has got to suck, and that is the only reason I haven't gone there yet!
    either 1) the puncture seals itself (like it usually does and is designed to do), so i guess that doesnt count as a flat. 2) the hole is too big for sealant, in that case you plug the hole with either a tire plug or a stick. The bead is still sealed so pumping up is no problem (i've ridden down on a flat and the bead never broke seal). 3) you use a tube, just like tube people would (how is that more of a hassle again? you have less work to do by not removing a ripped tube). But unless you didnt know how to plug the tire, you wouldnt have to do this unless your tire was completly destroyed.

    what tube people dont get is exactly how well sealed these setups can be, and how rare flats are. You have to tear the tire casing to get a flat.

    also YOU DO NOT RUN LOWER PRESSURES WITH TUBELESS, cant stress this enough. Running tubless allows you to run higher pressures for equivalent tire performance, its one of the major advantages, especially with rolling resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    I don't have tubes, but if i were still a tube guy, I would use the specialized 1.2 mm FR tubes. They are made for specialized by kenda and are 1.2 mm (normal is 0.8mm and full on heavy DH is 2.0mm). I used those with single ply tires for a year (at northstar, mammoth, and sea otter etc) and they never flatted-- they are significantly less than full DH tubes. They sound like just what you are looking for. Good stuff-- check them out at http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...pTubesMountain

    P.S. on the website is says .8, but they are really 1.2
    Which tube do you mean, the standard dh tubes, the standard mtb tubes, i can't figure it out?

  29. #29
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    its kinda funny, this reminds me of the hydro disk phobias and all the arguments and fears against, with people so afraid to give up the familiarity of Vee's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  30. #30
    SNOWRIDER
    Reputation: Deweydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    its kinda funny, this reminds me of the hydro disk phobias and all the arguments and fears against, with people so afraid to give up the familiarity of Vee's....
    Ha ha that same thing happened in the auto industry when disc brakes started back in the 70's Early tech's (but we wasn't called tech's back then) was scared to work on them at first
    OH CRAP DID I JUST SHOW MY AGE ??
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

  31. #31
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    it would cost about 25$ to convert your 729s to tubeless using the ghetto-tubeless method. Most tubeless riders arent running 823s.
    Or try the Maxxis "TS" tubeless strips.
    http://www.maxxis.com/shop_maxxis/pr...ail.asp?id=218
    I have some but have not tried them yet.
    They are available in several widths and are designed to fit from bead edge to bead edge. Suppose to work with Maxxis TS tires without sealant.

    If you are inclined to go "ghetto" they may be worth the $5 (each) + $5 shipping per order.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  32. #32
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Or try the Maxxis "TS" tubeless strips.
    http://www.maxxis.com/shop_maxxis/p...tail.asp?id=218
    I have some but have not tried them yet.
    They are available in several widths and are designed to fit from bead edge to bead edge. Suppose to work with Maxxis TS tires without sealant.

    If you are inclined to go "ghetto" they may be worth the $5 (each) + $5 shipping per order.
    they my friend are a waste of money, works the same as a tube but just costs more and has some stupid companys name written all over it in big letters with bright colours...

    and the whole point of a tubless set up is so that you dont get flats, some of you arnt too good at listening...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  33. #33
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    they my friend are a waste of money, works the same as a tube but just costs more and has some stupid companys name written all over it in big letters with bright colours...

    and the whole point of a tubless set up is so that you dont get flats, some of you arnt too good at listening...
    lol...isnt good at listening? the Maxxis strips are for tubeless setups, its like Stans or ghetto strips...in fact they cost the same as ghetto strips (ie. a 20" tube), the extra cash is for the sealant.

    Honestly your the last person that should get all mighty over people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  34. #34
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    they my friend are a waste of money, works the same as a tube but just costs more and has some stupid companys name written all over it in big letters with bright colours...

    and the whole point of a tubless set up is so that you dont get flats, some of you arnt too good at listening...
    Have you even seen the Maxxis TS strips? They are contoured to fit the rim, shaped to help tire bead retention and sealing. Cost about the same as an innertube and much less than Stans or Eclipse strips. They are plain black and you can not see them with the tire mounted.

    If (repeat, IF) you want to try DIY tubeless the Maxxis strips are worth checking out.

    I bought a tire/strip set from their web site for $10 (2 Hard Drive TS 1.95 tires, 2 rim strips for Rhino Lite rims, patch kit with tire levers). Yesterday I installed the strip on a Mavic F219 rim. Mounted the TS tire (Schwalbe Mounting Fluid helped a lot). Inflated with a floor pump with ZERO leakage. Still holding air today. No sealant goop used.

    Going to try a UST tire with the strips next.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  35. #35
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Have you even seen the Maxxis TS strips? They are contoured to fit the rim, shaped to help tire bead retention and sealing. Cost about the same as an innertube and much less than Stans or Eclipse strips. They are plain black and you can not see them with the tire mounted.

    If (repeat, IF) you want to try DIY tubeless the Maxxis strips are worth checking out.

    I bought a tire/strip set form their web site for $10 (2 Hard Drive TS 1.95 tires, 2 rim strips for Rhino Lite rims, patch kit with tire levers). Yesterday I installed the strip on a Mavic F219 rim. Mounted the TS tire (Schwalbe Mounting Fluid helped a lot). Inflated with a floor pump with ZERO leakage. Still holding air today. No sealant goop used.

    Going to try a UST tire with the strips next.
    try running the Michelins...2.35 or 2.6.....very nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,071
    Higher tire pressure is the easiest solution. Try running 30-35 PSI with your current setup.

    I don't trust ghetto tubeless, because it screws with the connection between the rim and the tire bead -- peeling a tire off the rim on a crooked landing is bad ju-ju (this is probably not an issue for normal riders, but I ain't normal). I have had good luck with a tubeless Michelin 2.8 DH on a Mavic 823 rim, running that should be lighter than the Kinetic 2.6 with a tube.

Similar Threads

  1. Wissahickon Poker Run!
    By JARhead in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 08:51 AM
  2. Wissahickon Poker Run!
    By JARhead in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 06:56 PM
  3. Way Off Topic - Adware / HiJack This Help Needed
    By Dr.Faustus in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 09:13 PM
  4. 29er tubes with longer presta valves?
    By SoloWithOthers in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 09:42 AM
  5. Question about tubeless
    By tlockha in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.