what is super d?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. what is super d?

I tried a search and failed. I'm just curious what exactly a super d race is and if a Transition Preston would be a suitable ride?

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    google is your friend.

Pivotal figure
    Super D is the DH race for guys who don't have a full on DH bike. It's mainly down but will have some climbing (!!) as well. That Preston would rock on SD.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    google is your friend.
    what's google?

If you won't build I will
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPreston
    what's google?
    It has somthing to do the "inter-web" I think you get that on a computer now days or somthing...

If you won't build I will
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPreston
    I tried a search and failed. I'm just curious what exactly a super d race is and if a Transition Preston would be a suitable ride?
    Super D's are fun, you don't need a bike with 203mm of travel to race them, almost any MTB will work, I used a bike with 150mm and it worked well, the super d we had here in Ohio was at the knob befor CAMBA did the thinking for us and got rid of it , it's like DH light, it's good for guys or grrrls that want to race but are to out of shape for XC (like me) or arn't ballsy for DH, think of XC trail that has some stunts and is mostly down hill, with a few ups, not to many. It's a good time!

The Beaver
    Your Preston will be perfect.

Basically Super D is a DH race, with a considerable climb in it... not a bad climb usually, but enough to slow big bikes down and give shorter travel bikes the advantage... it's an "all-mountain" race, whatever that means.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I've only raced one super d and that was the one held in Ashland Oregon. Imagine sprinting for over half an hour as fast as you can, but with a bike that can handle the terrain thrown at you. My time in 2006 was a laughable 57.43 on a RM Switch... Too much bike, and low fitness level. I think Mark Weir's time was 36 minutes!

These races are tougher than XC to me since you're trying to stay focused at high speed after riding balls out with no pee breaks!

I would use a Preston for sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Depends on the sanctioning body. Norba super d's are usually very mild and won by XC racers on light bikes and spandex.

MSC super-d's are more what you guys are talking about, less technical DH race in a pack, sometimes with a le-mans style start

Members who have read this thread: 0