What spring for my Coiler?- Mtbr.com
    Its got what plants crave

What spring for my Coiler?

I picked up a DHX 5.0 coil the other day for my Coiler. It is 7.875 x 2.25 which I realize is 1/4 more stroke than the Romic that's on it. So I'll be getting 6.75 inches of travel. The leverage ratio is (to my understanding anyway) 3:1 with the Romic on there. I hit the scales (with gear and such) at around 155 pounds. What throws me off about the calculator that I've seen on here is that it suggests running a 50-100 pound lighter spring for "Stable Platform" shocks. Does the DHX qualify as stable platform, or should I disregard that? It looks like the chart is suggesting a 500 pound spring. I was running a 650 pound spring on the Romic, which I realize was less than ideal. What do you guys think? Should I call Fox?

Bueller?

mtbr member
    500# sounds heavy. I find the calculators online run 50#+ heavy.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    you should mount that shock in the frame without the coil and bleed off the air to make sure it goes through the whole stroke with none of the suspension parts hitting anything....like your seat tube or seat. 3/4s of an inch make a difference.

and when i had a coiler with a 5.0 i was running a 650# and im at 184lbs....i didnt have to many turns on the coil though and ran the boost valve if i recall right 170-180 psi? with bottom out all the way up.....felt real buttery on the slow stuff and real progressive on big hits
    Pedalshop
    Transition Bike Co.

dont touch the dirt

Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    500# sounds heavy. I find the calculators online run 50#+ heavy.

Even for a frame with 3:1 ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by lax30
    you should mount that shock in the frame without the coil and bleed off the air to make sure none of the susspension parts hit anything....like your seat tube or seat. 3/4s of an inch make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it will clear, I saw a poster on here who said it was "One of the best things I've ever done to it." I'm pretty sure it has 3/4" more clearance, possibly more.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    ok well idd just check before had to see for yourself, not sayin its a bad thing...just sayin to check....and that will voild kona's warrenty....but then again who cares
    Pedalshop
    Transition Bike Co.

dont touch the dirt

N* Bomber Crew
    At 155 lbs you should be eyeing a #350 spring. Since you have a slightly longer shock, I would go with a softer spring and run sag so you hopefully do not run into problems.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    At 155 lbs you should be eyeing a #350 spring. Since you have a slightly longer shock, I would go with a softer spring and run sag so you hopefully do not run into problems.

According to the calculator a 350 pound spring is 75% sag.

I tried using this calculator:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html

155 pounds, 2.25 inch stroke, 6.75 inches of travel.

It says for single pivot/DW link it should be a 450 pound spring, and for 4 bar or VPP closer to a 500 pound spring. That's calculating it at 28% sag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I'm pretty sure it will clear, I saw a poster on here who said it was "One of the best things I've ever done to it." I'm pretty sure it has 3/4" more clearance, possibly more.
    Well that poster was obviously on crack, or never bottomed his coiler out, because I read the same exact thing and thought "Ooh! I can add travel to my coiler without clearance issues!". Got a new shock in 2.25" stroke and it's a no go. The seat post clamp hits the little support bars on the rockers on bottom-out, and even with the clamp removed the support bars hit the seat-tube when the thing flexes after bottoming out.

You can try it, but it sure as hell didn't work out for me. Luckily, limiting the stroke on a coil shock is very easy to do.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Well that poster was obviously on crack, or never bottomed his coiler out, because I read the same exact thing and thought "Ooh! I can add travel to my coiler without clearance issues!". Got a new shock in 2.25" stroke and it's a no go. The seat post clamp hits the little support bars on the rockers on bottom-out, and even with the clamp removed the support bars hit the seat-tube when the thing flexes after bottoming out.

You can try it, but it sure as hell didn't work out for me. Luckily, limiting the stroke on a coil shock is very easy to do.
    and thank you
    Pedalshop
    Transition Bike Co.

dont touch the dirt

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    According to the calculator a 350 pound spring is 75% sag.
    Whatever...I hate spring calculators to be honest. You should go by how it feels to you personally, not what number a computer spits out.

Spring Calculators say I should run a 400# spring, but I do 450# and its perfect.

Springs are cheap, get a 400 and a 450# if you must.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Quote Originally Posted by dowst

I can always put in a 1/4" bumper. My Coiler doesn't have any support bars on it's rocker at all. Nothing hits at all with the shock totally removed. I bought two of the DHXs from Santa Cruz for 130 bucks a piece, so if they don't work, I'll sell them on Ebay and buy one that fits.

mtbr member
    I weigh 155 and run a 600# on mine never had any problems and yes I've used all my travel

Quote Originally Posted by trail bait
    I weigh 155 and run a 600# on mine never had any problems and yes I've used all my travel
    Yeah I'm thinking about picking up a 550 or a 500 to check out. I guess I should really pick up a variety of springs and see how I like each... but for 35 bucks apiece I don't want to buy like 10 of them!

mtbr member
    Spring ratings have a 10% accuracy plus or minus, so 550# could be in a range between 495# to 605# and a 500# is anywhere between 450# and 550#. Just a little something to make the choice more difficult.

Members who have read this thread: 0