what size hardtail frame???- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

New question here. what size hardtail frame???

Im considering getting the 2004 Kona Cowan frameset and im curious about what frame size i should get. I am 5'10" tall and i currently ride a Medium (17") Bullit. The two sizes im stuck between are the Large 17" and the Medium 15.5". I want a smaller size frame for the Dual Slalom style, but i dont want it to be too small for me. In the end i dont want it to have the posture of an XC bike, so i'd like to keep the saddle down below the bars. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. if it helps ill probably be putting a 2004 Marzocchi Z1 FR QR20 (130 mm) fork on it.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_bullit_man
    Im considering getting the 2004 Kona Cowan frameset and im curious about what frame size i should get. I am 5'10" tall and i currently ride a Medium (17") Bullit. The two sizes im stuck between are the Large 17" and the Medium 15.5". I want a smaller size frame for the Dual Slalom style, but i dont want it to be too small for me. In the end i dont want it to have the posture of an XC bike, so i'd like to keep the saddle down below the bars. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. if it helps ill probably be putting a 2004 Marzocchi Z1 FR QR20 (130 mm) fork on it.
    Go medium. Nothing worse than a hardtail for jumping that is too large. If it is too large it will be worthless but if it is too small you will gain some style when you realize how you can throw it around.

born to chill
    I agree w/DmrRhythm, go for the medium. I'm 5'11" and my hardtail is a 14", kinda rides like a cruiser.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been wondering what size HT to get also, but a lot of them come with top tubes longer than 22". Is there a "guideline" for FR HT frame sizing relative to XC TT length? (for technical/FR, not DJ/DS) Which frames are more likely to be available with short (~22" or less) top tubes?

Jan 2004
    Well, the medium (15.5") Cowan is quite long. The effective TT is 23.3" and the chainstays are 16.75-17.1" This is going to make the wheelbase quite long (quite possibly too long). I am the same height and would personally go with the small (15"; TT is 22").

Feb 2004
    Im your height. I would go with the Medium. Short top-tubes have their advantages, but after riding a bike with a 21.5 inch top-tube for a while.. I much prefer a longer top tube, its better feeling.

I actually run my seats pretty high even for jumping so I can pinch them better for tricks, a 15 inch frame you can run the seat plenty low, and if you have a strong enough post you can get it pretty high without worrys.

I think you owuld regret buying a 17 inch jump style bike with a long top-tube.