what is a "seat bounce"- Mtbr.com
    Bike Hustler

what is a "seat bounce"

I guess this a moto term...what does it mean?
    SHAM-WOW

Equal opportunity meanie
    In order to get a lot of "pump" off a lip, you bounce down on your seat as you're going into the base of the lip to compress the rear end and get more pop on the takeoff. Not really necessary for a DH bike because it weighs less than you do in this case.

mtbr member
    When you botch a landing and get knocked around on the seat with feet off the pedals, usually, eventually going down.

Glad to Be Alive
    Basically it is where a rider doesn't have time to get a good lift on a jump.....here is what it is

you sit on seat and hit the throttle to load weight on rear shock (own weight and torque loading shock). Shock uses it coiled up energy to "bounce" you up and over obstacle...it is like preloading but for the rear shock
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ^^^^

Yes

No

Yes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ride motos so I know how to do it and all I can say is you better stay leaned back over the rear wheel if you do it cause you get fat buckage!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

N* Bomber Crew
    Try a seat bounce on a DH Bike. GUARANTEED endo.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok, I have to clear up some things here. Lots of misinfo in this thread. Seatbouncing is just staying seated off of a jump. Bouncing down to compress your suspension is called preloading. The farther back you are the MORE you will get bucked and endo. The steeper the jump the farther forward you should be, but in general you should be in the middle of the seat. There's a lot of confusion over how it works. It's not that a farther compressed shock "bounces" you higher because the rate of rebound is the same regardless how far the shock is compressed. I think it's similar to a bunny hop in that because you're sitting down on the face of the jump you get pitched up after taking off and the weight of your body pulls the bike up higher like a bunnyhop does. I seat bounce all the time on my motocross bike, never tried it with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    how about we all just stand up and let the differences between 200lb moto bikes and 40lb dh bikes be left to rest.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by huntandride
    how about we all just stand up and let the differences between 200lb moto bikes and 40lb dh bikes be left to rest.
    damn straight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    I guess this a moto term...what does it mean?
    I read once that Jeremy McGrath would sit down or something right before the take-off which would then lower the trajectory of the bike during the jump. He would land sooner than other riders and thus gain a time advantage during a race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    This might be an interesting post to read...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200809

Members who have read this thread: 0