What rims to lighten my Demo 7?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280

    New question here. What rims to lighten my Demo 7?

    I want to lighten my Demo 7 from 42 to about 38 pounds. I think getting new rims will get me closer to that weight. I was thinking either Syncros DPS 32 or DT Swiss 6.1? But I would really like white rims, any suggestions for rims and hubs?

    Thanks
    Go BIG or Go HOME

  2. #2
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    do u know what the e540 wheelset weighs???...just wondering...
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    These bad boys should just about do it..


  4. #4
    Bottlerockin'
    Reputation: coiler8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    839
    Whats your current wheelset?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    I would say go with Hope Pro 2 or 3's laced to MTX's or 721's. Strong, and pretty damn light.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: timotious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    59
    if its a demo 7 1 and has e540's they "coincidentally" weigh 540 grams make them fairly lightweight rim. getting a descent freeride spec rim is going to add a fair bit of weight

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    172
    I went with Hope Pro II matched to DT Swiss 5.1 which saved 230gm all up over the standard setup that comes on the Demo7 - not a huge saving but is a nice wheelset :-) The standard wheelset is actually quite light.

    The other things I've changed to save weight on my D7 are:
    - swapped the pedals for magnesium versions (saved 200gm)
    - swapped the crankset to Shimano Hone double ring and bash (saved 300gm)
    - swapped the LX casette for an XT (saved 100gm)
    - swapped the heavy weight inner tubes for medium weight versions (saved 100gm per wheel)

    My medium D7 is sitting at around 39.5lbs

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScBullitFr3rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    141
    what pedals come on that bike? and how much do the stock tires weigh? Could go with a lightweight chainguide if you don't have one on there already... But i agree with the others, your stock wheelset is pretty light for a freeride setup as is, and it'll cost at least 400+ bucks to get lighter and stronger if saving 200 grams is that important to you on a 'Freeride/Downhill' bike...go for it.
    If i were you i would just ride what you have until you break something.. that bike is sick even with a stock setup.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,472
    tyres and inner tubes are where the best weight savings are to be had.

    and bettermannz a ultegra cassette weighs 200,and looks super nice to boot.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    172
    Yeah an ultegra cassette would be lighter but I need the range of a XT cassette. The D7 is my do everything bike - long XC rides through to DH shuttles. If you are setting up a Park/Shuttle bike then ultegra all the way!

  11. #11
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    If you want to upgrade, I'd be interested in buying those off of you.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ikilledkenny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    223
    Easton Havocs are sick wheels only 1800g.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biker75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    491

    Agree w/ Konut

    Dont overlook your tires...I recently put some Maxxis DH minions on my FR/AM bike, and took em off after 1 ride...the small gain in traction wasn't worth it...it felt like there was a squirell carcass in my chain when I pedalled w/ the minions!
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

  14. #14
    StraightOuttaCompton
    Reputation: Djponee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,145
    why do you want to that, if you get some new forks, that will lighten up your bike and quit complaining
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

  15. #15
    thats not to steep is it?
    Reputation: thatdownhillkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    469
    i dont currently have havocs yet. but i know a guy that has them and he can abuse the hell out of them and they dont even come out of true. hes trued them once and that was right after whistler when he was there for a week. but i think a truing every 6 months isnt that bad. expecially after a week of whistler.
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

  16. #16
    Frequent Flyer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    411
    Just as others have said, the wheelset you have is pretty light. If you must have white rims, and you want to stay around the same weight, go with the Syncros DS28s or the Halo Freedoms. They are nearly identical, both weighing 545 grams each, and both come in white. Though I will warn you, DS28s are more of an all-mountain rim, and won't hold up long if you dowhnill on them hard with low tire pressure. They don't take hits too well. I had one on the back of my 7point, and its about toast after a couple months. Gonna probably go with the Sun MTXs now. They weigh 100 grams more a piece, but it seems they are pretty strong, and not too spendy.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Demodude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    925
    yep, those Howitzer cranks and bottom brackt are Heavy.... Go hone or saint.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Demodude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    925
    I have theEaston havocs on my Sx trail and have been great, Haven't had to true them yet.
    They would be too narrow for the D7 and not burly enough. They're ment for all mountain not dh/fr

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    I will look at lightening the bike in other spots. Thanks for the help
    Go BIG or Go HOME

  20. #20
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    kewl...keep us posted on the changes u make and the final weight
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ikilledkenny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    223
    A totem air would lose you some weight carbon bars smaller rotors 180mm.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234
    Im thinking along these lines to lighten my 7 :

    Funn skinny saddle 276g
    ti spring 335g
    ultegra cassette and 105 road rear shifter

    And, if I can get hold of one, a magnesium upper rocker.

    The stock rims are actually very light, as light as mavic 823s(the deemax UST rim).
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Im thinking along these lines to lighten my 7 :

    Funn skinny saddle 276g
    ti spring 335g
    ultegra cassette and 105 road rear shifter

    And, if I can get hold of one, a magnesium upper rocker.

    The stock rims are actually very light, as light as mavic 823s(the deemax UST rim).
    If you do manage to get a magnesium rocker please let me know - very interested in getting one myself if the price isn't too crazy.

  24. #24
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by bettermanNZ
    If you do manage to get a magnesium rocker please let me know - very interested in getting one myself if the price isn't too crazy.
    they are pricey.. talked to the rep today. couldn't give you an exact figure, as he wouldn't share, but he said it was an expensive tid bit.

    anyways, as a person who had a 38.9lb demo 7 (size large too!) best places to lighten up are:
    Ti springs.. including fork
    ti hardware used extensively
    ditch the crankset for something lighter, if you're light you can get away with xt's, but ran oct's (not a big improvement)
    thompson masterpiece post, cut short(er)
    lightweight bars (Sunline V1s are my fav.. strong as hell but light)
    Tires, go tubeless. it lightens things up AND prevents flats. win win!
    hollow link and pin chain (not really necessary, but it is a bit lighter)
    floating rotors (aluminum carriers) smaller size helps too
    Ti brake adapters and rotor bolts (this fits in with the ti hardware bit)
    LIGHT pedals... i used atomlab trailkings, not that light, but soo worth the traction.
    wheels (the e450s are very light as it is.. this is kinda last thing on the list to do)

    can't remember what else I did.. but it turned out light. that was a fun project. time to start afresh with a new demo!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  25. #25
    Bottlerockin'
    Reputation: coiler8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    839
    Ti hardwear sounds like an appealing weightsaving option. Where would you find the correct sized Ti bolts though?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jettj45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    yep, those Howitzer cranks and bottom brackt are Heavy.... Go hone or saint.
    Which howitzer set? Because the Holzfeller oct 1.1 is like half the weight of the saint crank...I guess the 08 165mm oct 1.1 model is 548 grams.

  27. #27
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    Which howitzer set? Because the Holzfeller oct 1.1 is like half the weight of the saint crank...I guess the 08 165mm oct 1.1 model is 548 grams.
    You wish. Add the bottom bracket weight and that number will get a lot closer.

    The OCT crank+bb is lighter as a whole though than Saints by a little bit, but not Hone's.

  28. #28
    i eat rocks
    Reputation: gil_caz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    379
    i was reading something on i think intense's web site and they said they wont warranty the paint if you use ti hardware cause it causes it to peel and crack, does this happen to all paints?

  29. #29
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by gil_caz
    i was reading something on i think intense's web site and they said they wont warranty the paint if you use ti hardware cause it causes it to peel and crack, does this happen to all paints?
    never heard of that. unless somehow the copper anti-seize that you use with ti bolts doesn't mix well with paint. That's interesting. i'll have to look into that.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    they are pricey.. talked to the rep today. couldn't give you an exact figure, as he wouldn't share, but he said it was an expensive tid bit.

    anyways, as a person who had a 38.9lb demo 7 (size large too!) best places to lighten up are:
    Ti springs.. including fork
    ti hardware used extensively
    ditch the crankset for something lighter, if you're light you can get away with xt's, but ran oct's (not a big improvement)
    thompson masterpiece post, cut short(er)
    lightweight bars (Sunline V1s are my fav.. strong as hell but light)
    Tires, go tubeless. it lightens things up AND prevents flats. win win!
    hollow link and pin chain (not really necessary, but it is a bit lighter)
    floating rotors (aluminum carriers) smaller size helps too
    Ti brake adapters and rotor bolts (this fits in with the ti hardware bit)
    LIGHT pedals... i used atomlab trailkings, not that light, but soo worth the traction.
    wheels (the e450s are very light as it is.. this is kinda last thing on the list to do)

    can't remember what else I did.. but it turned out light. that was a fun project. time to start afresh with a new demo!
    Can you get a Ti Spring for the Totem? or are you running another fork?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.