What is the proper leg extension for a FS FR bike?- Mtbr.com
    Infinity-1
    Feb 2004

What is the proper leg extension for a FS FR bike?

I am an XC weenie that is just getting into FR....I need to know if there is a recommended leg extension for FR....I have an interupted seat tube FS bike so how long my seatpost is/or is not is critical. I have a 34" inseam and normally run the distance between center of cranks to top of seat at about 30.5"....What would you guys recommend? Bike would mostly be used for urban drops, trail riding (have to pedal uphills), stairs, and general screwing around. No dirt jumping yet.....Thanks.

Greyeye

Pro Crastinator
    a shorter bike is more maneuverable. my seat is kept low and not used for sitting really, mainly just used for leverage in hairy sitiations.........

hands up who wants to die
    If you're really going to pedal it uphill and use it for trail riding much, then you'll want as much leg extension as you can get: as much length as you ride for XC. Checkout a telescoping seatpost if you can't get a regular post to work with you interrupted seatpost.

For shuttling, urban, jumping and stairs, just keep the post low and stand up to pedal around.

You'll probably find a couple different heights to be helpful: a semi-low one that will allow you to pedal a little bit (perhaps for when you're shuttling and you get a little tired) and a really low one for the hairy steep stuff where your butt needs to be near the tire.

And if you're coming from XC, make sure you put a proper short stem on your FR bike: 35-70mm.

-rob in NY

mtbr member

I also have a 34" inseem...

And I need about 7-7.5" of adjustment range with the seat post. as the previous poster mentioned, you need your leg extension to be just like your XC bike if you plan to pedal your bike for anything more than a few hundred feet or climb with it. For the most serious riding, you'll probably find that you have to drop your seat by at least 6" mininum - I myself prefer about 7-8" of "droppability".

Again, as the previous poster mentioned, get a telescoping seat post, otherwise, you will not be in a position to raise and lower your seat as you require.

Regards,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The above advice is spot-on. A good measure for the really low seat height, used for serious FR/urban/DJ, is to be able to sit on the saddle with your feet flat on the ground and a slight bend in your knees. Also it's pretty common to have 2 seatposts for an interrupted design: short for FR, long for trail riding. Telescoping posts sort of solve this problem, but they _suck_. I have an Axiom and a Titec Scoper, neither one stays where you set it, the QRs are horrible, and each one weighs as much as 2 regular posts (Scoper was 450 grams on the shop's digital scale).