What NOT to do when it's really, really hot!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ka-Boom! What NOT to do when it's really, really hot!

OK - not totally biking related, but probably some useful advice if you decide to go ride for the day and leave your car in the sun...

Did a two day rafting trip this weekend on the Thompson / Fraser rivers in BC. It's a trip that a bunch of us do as a stag when one of our buddies decides to get married.

It just so happened that this past weekend temperatures hit the low 40's in the Lytton area (Thompson river) and in some parts of the Fraser river canyon.

So, because we're going away for a couple of days and we know it's going to be hot, Hot, HOT we buy a lot of liquids: tons of water, tons of gatorade, and a bunch of Coke and Diet Coke. Saturday morning we leave and we come back Sunday evening.

The water and the gatorade make it into our coolers that we're taking with us, but somehow the bottles of diet Coke and 12 pack of Coke end up staying in my car - with a BLACK leather interior. This is problem #1.

Problem #2 is that my car is parked in the middle of a parking lot without any shade around.

Problem #3 is that some of the impending dissaster could have been avoided had I left my sun roof and windows open - of course, they were sealed shut!

Problem #4: the heat: it hit 43 degrees Celsius which is about 110 F OUTSIDE the car. I can only guess what it would have been inside the car - probably well into the 50s (120's F).

Problem #5: I AM DUMB for not taking this stuff out of the car!

The aftermath:

All six Diet coke bottles leaked: Of course, they were on their SIDE on the back deck of my car behind the headrests, right in plain view of the sun! I figure about 500-700ml leaked out of the 6 bottles, all over the back deck and down behind the rear seats... Notice that none of the top caps have been opened; check out the bottle that partially melted...

The 12 pack of Coke cans: 9 ruptured. Some where less than half full. The Coke box gets points for not leaking and holding in SOME of the coke. However, probably another 500ml of Coke managed to escape all over the back seat and onto the rear floor.

3 cans survived - their tops popped uniformily and that allowed them to maintain their structural integrity.

Scissors in the last picture were used to puncture the sides of the cans that had leaked but whose pull tops were still sealed.

Moral of the story - don't leave sticky beverages in your car if it's really freakin hot outside!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by knollybikes.com; 07-24-2006 at 11:12 PM.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    I wonder if Pepsi would do this!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    holy crap that was a hot day! Don't even remember that happening to me when I lived in FL. Hoping I'll be seeing more mild temps up there next week...

mtbr member
    That Knolly, pushing the limits of what's physically possible like usual
    Täglich drei Millionen Leser der Kronenzeitung abzulehnen, ist ein Zeichen tiefster moralischer Verkommenheit.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    I can only guess what it would have been inside the car - probably well into the 50s (120's F).
    80 Celcius easily in a black car. Don't leave carbon fibre bikeparts in there as well, i've heard storys of carbon frames bending and turning brown inside parked cars.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    80 Celcius easily in a black car. Don't leave carbon fibre bikeparts in there as well, i've heard storys of carbon frames bending and turning brown inside parked cars.
    that would suck, going out for lunch after a nice ride and coming back to your car only to see your frame is bent to sh!t...i would be pissed

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    that would suck, going out for lunch after a nice ride and coming back to your car only to see your frame is bent to sh!t...i would be pissed
    yep indeed would tear you a second ring piece...................... I am having to start the car, turn on the AC and hang out for a bit before I get in, dam getting liek a blouse in my old age, or just using my head more, a blonde head nahhhh................

I think the whole Northern Hemisphere is cooking up, cold as in New Zealand though. Oh how I miss riding in Rotovegas, go the world cup there in August, nice and cool................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Glad to Be Alive
    great advice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    wow... it definately sucks but I could laugh over something like that...
    will be careful
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hmmmm

Noel, I bet if you designed those cans, there wouldn't be any structural failures.
    Don't trust the Colonel (Sanders), because he has beady eyes and puts something in his chicken that makes you wake up in the middle of the night craving it.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhesus#17
    Noel, I bet if you designed those cans, there wouldn't be any structural failures.
    they should have some sort of suspension to reduce the impact
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member

Problem #5: I AM DUMB for not taking this stuff out of the car!
    Ahhh, but I notice it was only the cheap non-alcoholic drinks that were sacrificed. Therefore intelligence was displayed in that you chose the correct group to be sacrificed in this terrible situation.........

Glad it was nothing to do with the bikes

Yummy
    Heh ... having seen the inside of your car, I'm surprised you noticed!

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Pro Crastinator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhesus#17
    Ya, but a can of pop would probalby cost $2 instead of $1 then and the world usage of aluminum would go up by %25 or something

Laughing? Ha ha - ya all the way to the bank and the detailers :P

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Ahhh, but I notice it was only the cheap non-alcoholic drinks that were sacrificed. Therefore intelligence was displayed in that you chose the correct group to be sacrificed in this terrible situation.........
    Ya - the alcohol was sacrificed Friday evening We had the "groom" annihilated quite nicely. Saturday morning we were taking the bus from the base camp to the "put in" about 100 km away - the 7 of us and fifteen 12-15 year olds who were part of Moondance adventures (kind of like Outward Bound I think). We had to get the bus driver to pull over so the groom could "clense the gullet". All the kids were going "wow - that guy gets really car sick!". Once they realized how hard we were laughing at our buddy they figured out what was going on!

Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Heh ... having seen the inside of your car, I'm surprised you noticed!
    Ya, but I draw the line at melted surger all over the place...

Possibly 80 degrees? Wow - that is crazy hot!

Shameless plug (that has nothing to do with us): if any of you are into rafting, definitely check out Fraser River Expeditions. There are about 4 rafting companies in this area and these guys are the money. Way more core and way less commercial than the over companies and they do everything from single day trips up to 3 or 4 week trips. The guides are excellent and super knowledgeable. Our group has done something like 5 trips with them over the past few years and every trip has been absolutely excellent. The Thopson River is full of great rapids and several that you can swim. The Fraser is a huge river (largest undammed river in North America) and has several grade 5 and 6 rapids. Can't swim them (unless you can hold your breath for about 3-5 minutes and don't mind your eardrums being blown out) but several of them can be hit repeatedly by motoring back up through the eddies.
    Last edited by knollybikes.com; 07-25-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Pro Crastinator
    good thing it wasn't SMT's car, his rubber lady would have never been the same.....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    good thing it wasn't SMT's car, his rubber lady would have never been the same.....
    i am worried about her ...................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    LMAO! out here that would be for driving in the HOV lane, but I guess we all have our unique uses for the rubber lady :)

Either of you two heading up to Whistler this summer? Or WCH are you planning to get probed at the border again?

:)
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    pffft.. the coke's Canadian.. no wonder it exploded!

j/k that's a bummer man, thank you for the well illustrated lesson.
    cheers.

kona-tize me captain
    must of taken a while to clean it up. at that point i would have just sprayed the interior down witha garden hose.

did u guys rip the coke box open or did it explode liek that
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    must of taken a while to clean it up. at that point i would have just sprayed the interior down witha garden hose.

Ripped it open to check out the carnage (plus it had about 5mm of coke in the bottom of the box that needed to be strategically emptied). Would have loved to watch the 3 cans that actually exploded go off.

Ya, messy is right! Problem is, I can't even get to half of the mess because it's under the seat...
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Ya, messy is right! Problem is, I can't even get to half of the mess because it's under the seat...

Time to sell and get that Audi you been looking at.......

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    that sucks, not gonna lie...
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

FallDown
    If these bottles were made out of something thicker or something less of a chance to do something like that, then no one will ever have problems

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    Since when were coke boxes pressurized....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

eminence front
    Would have loved to watch the 3 cans that actually exploded go off.
    I suggest you shake a can for 30 minutes and then place it in a fire. Works wonders.

For a better explosion, make sure its in coals.

But don't stand near for long, it usually takes about 5 seconds before it goes. In a good one you will probably move the fire a few feet, and I recommend watching out for 'shrapnel' aka glowing coals. They are painful.

mtnjam
    that sucks...

had something similar happen to a can of beer years ago...it got left outside over the winter, found it near the woodpile in the spring all bulged out, took aim at it with a .22 and watched it explode...kinda fun I guess

abolisher of A$$holes
    happened to me in college with a case of beer we were saving for the night...left the car in the sun all day with the windows rolled up at the lake and the case exploded all over the back seat...it wasn't the nicest car...but after that, everytime I got pulled over the officer never seemed to believe me that I hadn't been drinking...it would take some convincing everytime...
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them.
    George Bush, US President

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    happened to me in college with a case of beer we were saving for the night...left the car in the sun all day with the windows rolled up at the lake and the case exploded all over the back seat...it wasn't the nicest car...but after that, everytime I got pulled over the officer never seemed to believe me that I hadn't been drinking...it would take some convincing everytime...
    the poor beer, and could you have imagined how gross that beer would have been if you would have drank it...i hope you planned on refridgeration

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    i hope you planned on refridgeration
    did the short bus forget to pick you up today???
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them.
    George Bush, US President

mtbr member

Interesting concept - saving beer..... something I was NEVER taught in college.....

N* Bomber Crew
    What also not to do on the 3 hottest days of the year:

Work at a Ice Cream Parlor from 2 to Close....
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    did the short bus forget to pick you up today???

what??? maybe it did and thats why im so confused...if its about spelling, F*ck spelling...but i lack the reason to why i should be called names like that

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA
    Every now and then you hear of some moron leaving their pet, or much worse a child in a car like that. Fortunately not often but those idiots do exist.

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    i am worried about her ...................
    If you're worried just take her with you
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB
    Every now and then you hear of some moron leaving their pet, or much worse a child in a car like that. Fortunately not often but those idiots do exist.
    unfortunately most of those morons that leave their kid in the car live here in Boise. I can't tell you how many times I've heard so far this year and last that someone was too busy to remember their kid in the car while they went in to either get a hit of meth or do voluteer work for their church

Members who have read this thread: 0