what hubs? - Kings or Hadley or other- Mtbr.com
    tax
    mtbr member
    May 2004

what hubs? - Kings or Hadley or other

I posted this ealier in wheels and tires, but thought it might be answered here just as well.

I am building up a "go anywhere" (trail, urban, Light Duty Free Ride) HT. My question is on hubs. I have a set of classic Kings now on my XC bike. I love them. For the new bike I am going with disc brakes and need a new wheelset. The worst of my abuse is 4 to 5 foot drops onto flat concrete. I love King as a company and their products and would like to stick with them. However, I am afraid ISO kings will not hold up to the drops mentioned and a LBS recommended Hadley hubs. Any thoughts? Can Kings stand up in these conditions? How about the Hadley hubs? Others? Don't care about weight or $, just care about not breaking my bike. Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member

Not sure who is telling an ISO will not hold up...

For that type of riding you would want the heavy duty bolt on axle though. Also, if available you might want to get the stainless drive shell (although this would not add to strength for drops). The Hadley is a good hub on par with the King (prices are pretty comparable as well) and has several axle options. You would not go wrong with either one.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Kings are a hub you buy and never replace, superior quality, instant engagement, aslight as possible, using a Ring drive hub. Hadley's are a great hub but are still using a Cog system which will wear like a regular hub, they will not engage as quick, they will not last as long but they are about the best cog hub you can buy and are cheaper. If you say Money doesn't matter to you than you'd be looking at King hubs, if you are currently running the older style i'm sure you know how well they work, also i thought i read somewhere that King will do a swap of some sort to upgrade your older non disc brake hubs to disc capable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't know about the non-disc to disc compatible upgrade, but King definately will sell you an ISO hub shell which you can dump your 'universal' hub innards into. I think it cost me 45bucks for the shell....

http://www.chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_ISO_disc.html (last paragraph)

and yes. CK hubs kick ass!

tax
    mtbr member
    May 2004

thanks...

thanks to you and the other replies... very appreciated so far and good stuff... any other thoughts out there?

|i|
    I think it also matters on how skilled you are -- I've seen lots of trials riders use Kings for their engagement, and they'll be dropping 4-5 easy. But they are very smooth. If you are bashing hard down 4-5' onto flat concrete, then no, don't get the Kings.

tax
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    I think it also matters on how skilled you are -- I've seen lots of trials riders use Kings for their engagement, and they'll be dropping 4-5 easy. But they are very smooth. If you are bashing hard down 4-5' onto flat concrete, then no, don't get the Kings.
    I agree... wish i could say smooth all the time, but I can go from land o' lakes to land o' breaks...

freak of nature

DT Hügi FR...

I would personally try those as they are of good quality. The Hadleys also have a good reputation of not breaking.

Jean-Sébastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

tax
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-seb
    I would personally try those as they are of good quality. The Hadleys also have a good reputation of not breaking.

Jean-Sébastien
    thanks very much, I will look into those as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another Option...

If King didn't exist, I would have to say the best hubs on the market would be made by Hope. We do a lot of their stuff at the shop I work at, and I believe they are a little cheaper than the Kings. I personally put Hugi only slightly behind Hope, but that is a personal opinion based on my experiences and the experiences of customers in my market. I can confidently say that King, Hope and Hugi are the top three hub manufacturers in the world.

Regarding Kings, remember that they are made AND more importantly serviced here in America, including support at some larger events. Their warranty is also the strongest I have ever heard of, although I confess that the lack of documentation on the Hugis makes it hard for me to recall their exact warranty policies. Seriously, who else will rebuild your hubs for free five years from now?

tax
    mtbr member
    May 2004

king

Quote Originally Posted by Kracker
    If King didn't exist, I would have to say the best hubs on the market would be made by Hope. We do a lot of their stuff at the shop I work at, and I believe they are a little cheaper than the Kings. I personally put Hugi only slightly behind Hope, but that is a personal opinion based on my experiences and the experiences of customers in my market. I can confidently say that King, Hope and Hugi are the top three hub manufacturers in the world.

Regarding Kings, remember that they are made AND more importantly serviced here in America, including support at some larger events. Their warranty is also the strongest I have ever heard of, although I confess that the lack of documentation on the Hugis makes it hard for me to recall their exact warranty policies. Seriously, who else will rebuild your hubs for free five years from now?
    point well noted and that is why i love Chris King. the other brands a great too. just gotta love King though for their commitment to quality and the planet (and i am not even a tree hugger or anything and i am impressed with them.) Just trying to figure out if they will do the job in my transformation from XC to bigger stuff. Sounds like they will do just fine. Thanks.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    My buddy paul has a king rear on his 243 racing hard tail. He rides some big a$$ jumps 2-3 time a week, thumps it on dh runs and rides it in the skate park. So far it has held up nicely. He has the HD axle with the fun bolts. I am selling my rear wheel (see below) so that i can get one. Definately getting the HD axle and Stainless drive shell. Just pop off the seals and clean the bearings once in a while and they will last a dang long time. No doubt in my mind that it will hold up. Just make sure that you have a good wheel builder build it up.
    -Dave
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-seb

Jean-Sébastien
    I would not go with the the DT Hugi FR. I have seen 4 of them at the local bike shop that were destroyed. All 4 had the hub shell crack right down the middle. One cracked by a guy who really does not ride that hard.

mtnbikej

freak of nature
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    I would not go with the the DT Hugi FR. I have seen 4 of them at the local bike shop that were destroyed. All 4 had the hub shell crack right down the middle. One cracked by a guy who really does not ride that hard.

mtnbikej
    hmmm.... OK then, the Hügi FRs are out of the picture I believe !

Jean-Sébastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

/dev/null
    King hubs are very strong. I wouldn't even hesitate.

Frankly, for a go-anywhere wheelset, weight is important. CK's are lighter, and very very strong. The only reason to go with Hadleys in a situation like this is if you want the option of swapping axle sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tax
    I posted this ealier in wheels and tires, but thought it might be answered here just as well.

I am building up a "go anywhere" (trail, urban, Light Duty Free Ride) HT. My question is on hubs. I have a set of classic Kings now on my XC bike. I love them. For the new bike I am going with disc brakes and need a new wheelset. The worst of my abuse is 4 to 5 foot drops onto flat concrete. I love King as a company and their products and would like to stick with them. However, I am afraid ISO kings will not hold up to the drops mentioned and a LBS recommended Hadley hubs. Any thoughts? Can Kings stand up in these conditions? How about the Hadley hubs? Others? Don't care about weight or $, just care about not breaking my bike. Any help is appreciated!
    King or Hadley are great hubs. I am using a Hadley in the rear for 1-1/2 years of downhill racing and freeriding with no problems. One thing to think about is frame compatibility, if you go with the King hub you can only use QR or the 10mm "Fun Bolts". If you buy a Hadley you can start out with QR or 10mm thru axle and then later buy a conversion kit and put the hub on a 12mm 135mm hub spacing bike frame or other axle diameter that would use the 135mm hub spacing. The Chris King hubs are great also, the free hub can handle 800 ftlb of torque. If you go with the King hub I would recommend getting the "Fun Bolts" ( they make the rear end stiffer than a QR ) seeing the type of riding you are doing.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

mtbr member

Hadley is more responsive to the market...

With all of the options they offer for the axle. They also offer hubs for the wider spaced dropouts that King seems to have no interest in making. It would be easy for King to have 10mm and 12mm thru axles for the ISO, they would be very simple mods to the current HD axle.

By the way, what is your opinion on the durability/reliability of the Hadley 108pt engagement?
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

tax
    mtbr member
    May 2004

great question

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpon
    With all of the options they offer for the axle. They also offer hubs for the wider spaced dropouts that King seems to have no interest in making. It would be easy for King to have 10mm and 12mm thru axles for the ISO, they would be very simple mods to the current HD axle.

By the way, what is your opinion on the durability/reliability of the Hadley 108pt engagement?
    the 108 pt engagement question is a great one. i would be very interested in hearing about it. anyone?