What the hell happened?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! What the hell happened?

somebody help. today after riding i noticed my head set was loose. there was a lot of play with the fork. i thought i would take off the top cap to make sure everything was fine inside. i started to unscrew that screw on the top of the stem. it got about halfway loose when all the sudded it just came loose and fell out. i know this is bad but i dont know that much about head sets. does this mean i need a new headset or is it something more seriuos than that. i thought i would take it to the LBS tomorrow.

here are some pics

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...w&image=331886

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...w&image=331887

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    You just need to replace the star nut (technically known as a tube connector). You can either go to your LBS and they'll take the old one out and put in a new one, or use some object like a screwdriver & hammer, and pound the old one out.

You'll still have to install a new star nut; but you can jimmy it in there if you thread the screw completely into the nut, then hammer it into place, or something like that. Your call; I always jimmy mine in and I've never had a problem.

mtbr member
    When you tighten your head set you have to loosen up the two screws that hold on your handle bar stem first, ive done the same thing. LBS will probably give it(tube connecter)to your for free, mine did.

Senior Expert DH
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotgobig
    somebody help. today after riding i noticed my head set was loose. there was a lot of play with the fork. i thought i would take off the top cap to make sure everything was fine inside. i started to unscrew that screw on the top of the stem. it got about halfway loose when all the sudded it just came loose and fell out. i know this is bad but i dont know that much about head sets. does this mean i need a new headset or is it something more seriuos than that. i thought i would take it to the LBS tomorrow.

here are some pics

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...w&image=331886

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...w&image=331887
    Looks like you over-torqued your headset when you were tightening it. Go to your LBS and get your star fangled nut bashed out and a new one set in place (won't take long). Remember not to tighten those up too much or they end up mangled like yours.

mtbr member
    thanks guys. yeah sounds like a simple problem that hopefully can be fixed quickly cause i wanted to ride tomorrow

Some Assembly Required

The tension it took to strip out yer star-phangled nut

Will trash yer headset bearings too, IF left too tight too long. Loosen your top crown & yer stem, THEN tighten down the top cap on yer stem w/the proper tension, THEN tighten up the stem & top crown. You'll need to czech after the 1st coupl'a rides for looseness. Then it should be ok, however, periodic czechen is necessary. Heavy hands can ruin a bike quicker than wrecking or hauling it around. I know, I've spent way too much $$ cause I thought I could get it a'lil tighter. Get a torque wrench it'll pay for itself quickly.