What is a headlock and should I get one.- Mtbr.com
    Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005

What is a headlock and should I get one.

I am going to be doing a order for some parts soon and a headset is a part of it. I am getting a n FSA Pig DH Pro and it says it comes with a starnut system. Is a headlock any better and should I get it to replace this older system of the starnut? How is it even different? I am looking at the Azonic version.

Thanks, Shredder111

mtbr member
    I run a headlock on one bike and gusset on the other. I trust the headlock systems over the starnut just my 2 cents

Bike Ninja |||
    It's not necessary, as it's extra weight, but it does give ya peace of mind. i like the gusset one personally.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

moaaar shimz
    Use search function.

banned

Should you get one? Do you want one? I give them for free... especially if someone asks for one....

Equal opportunity meanie
    Yes you should get a headlock, and preferably from someone who wont let go until your mouse finger makes its last twitch next to the "New Thread" button.

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are lite then save your 30 or 40 bucks and go with a starnut.....they are a good idea but i wouldn't do it untill you start doing drops over 10 feet....and not one foot drops that you can make go 10 feet if you hit it faster (still 1 foot drop)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    SMT you are a silly child, you have no clue what I ride now. Wait till I take some pics with my new BH, Mr. one footer. I should bust a cap in your buttox for making that dumb comment.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    SMT you are a silly child, you have no clue what I ride now. Wait till I take some pics with my new BH, Mr. one footer. I should bust a cap in your buttox for making that dumb comment.
    you are an idiot....what did they ride before headlocks??? Starnuts........i gave you a serious answer and you post that response....you are pretty dumb
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Hisforever
    10ft droppers need a headlock??????? no way.

some guys land drops that are 3ft like others land 10 ft.

If you want to feel safer about your rad gear staying toghther then get a headlock.

otherwise you are depending on a starnut wedged down in the steer tube...

Moxie HT
    Orbea Rallon (fo sale)
    sb 130/150
    Evil Undead/Calling
    Yz 250x

moaaar shimz
    No need for headlock

AW_
    locked - time out
    I hate starnuts.... I hate everything about them, other than the fact that they are $2.

moaaar shimz
    Starnut is just used to preload the bearings isnt it?

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Starnut is just used to preload the bearings isnt it?
    In theory, yes. I have starnuts that are pulling out in two of my bikes right now. I'm not sure (or care) exactly why. What I do know is that I am done with them.

N* Bomber Crew
    I've never really had problems with my Starnut to be honest, just make sure whoever puts them in your steerer tube uses the kind that has two star nuts (Chris King).

I mean if you want it...get it..............
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Ricky DH
    I think you aughta go for 29Colossus idea of a head lock cause
    you surly don't want to go with this "star nut".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    you are an idiot....what did they ride before headlocks??? Starnuts........i gave you a serious answer and you post that response....you are pretty dumb

See guys, this is the type of post SMT writes against you and then when sober the next day writes you an appology so he doesn't get banned. Your post wasn't very serious actually because you were showing I can't tell the difference from a 1 foot drop and a 10 foot gap/distance jump, so pipe down.

Disco-Superfly
    See guys, this is the type of post SMT writes against you and then when sober the next day writes you an appology so he doesn't get banned. Your post wasn't very serious actually because you were showing I can't tell the difference from a 1 foot drop and a 10 foot gap/distance jump, so pipe down.
    just ignore it... sheesh
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    Hey, I'm not the one who started it...sheesh.

Equal opportunity meanie
    For my more serious response, a double flanged starnut (read: King) installed properly in a steerer tube with the correct ream and surfacing will be more secure than a headlock will be. People generally don't use them for a reason.

I'm not sure why the headlocks don't ever hold the headset tight, but my guess is that for it to be tight enough to preload the bearings the same way as you would a starnut, you're getting into enough tension to stretch the threaded rod a tiny tiny bit. I could be totally wrong about that however, but the length of the bolt is the only really discernable difference I see between the two setups, with the width of the headlock bolt being disproportionately narrow. I'm open (and curious) to being proven wrong though.

Glad to Be Alive

here lets sort this out.......a frickin starnut is used to tighten everything down...then you tighten all the other bolts...then you back off the starnut....so in theory the starnut doesn't have any load on it

Like I said in the first post......just get the starnut and save 30 or 40 bucks...if you deam it necessary then get the headlock later...

BTW I ride with a Headlock

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    here lets sort this out.......a frickin starnut is used to tighten everything down...then you tighten all the other bolts...then you back off the starnut....so in theory the starnut doesn't have any load on it

Like I said in the first post......just get the starnut and save 30 or 40 bucks...if you deam it necessary then get the headlock later...

BTW I ride with a Headlock
    Back off the bolt on the starnut? SMT, WTF? Do you back off the bolt on your headlock? Do you back off the compression on any bearing on a bike? Your cranks, hubs? NO!

A headlock is just an alternative to a starnut.IMO it's not better than a starnut. If your starnut is pulling out, you have other problems going on that need to be addressed.

-> SickLines.com <-
    A starnut & bolt are not the same as every other bolt/crank/hub. It is just there to adjust the preload on your headset, not keep your fork on (although in a dire situation it would).

If you want a comparable example, two piece shimano cranks have a plastic preload cap and two pinch bolts. If you were to remove the preload cap after tightening the preload cap down and you snugged up the two pinch bolts, nothing would happen so long as everything was setup right. The same is true with a starnut setup.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    A starnut & bolt are not the same as every other bolt/crank/hub. It is just there to adjust the preload on your headset, not keep your fork on (although in a dire situation it would).

If you want a comparable example, two piece shimano cranks have a plastic preload cap and two pinch bolts. If you were to remove the preload cap after tightening the preload cap down and you snugged up the two pinch bolts, nothing would happen so long as everything was setup right. The same is true with a starnut setup.
    Sir, I am in agreement with you; it's just there for the preload, the stem bolts do the work, and the work is the same whether it's a starnut or a headlock holding the preload. I'm just trying to understand SMT's logic.The system still needs to have a load on it during use.
    When headlocks became in vogue several years ago, I started using one on my DH bike, and did so for about a year. IMO, they do not provide any more security or rigidity or whatever over a starnut. Other than my stem rotating from a hard crash, I have never had one loosen up on me.

-> SickLines.com <-
    I don't try to understand SMT's logic either but i was just stating what the purpose of a starnut was for.

Road/XC/Freeride
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    I have starnuts that are pulling out in two of my bikes right now.
    Could be coinsedental and just very bad luck but sounds like overtightening to me.

As has been stated, all the starnuts do is preload the bearings, they should be tight enough such that they don't just unscrew but they are pretty fragile.

I don't really see a reason to use a headlock.
    I'm on the Twitter.

Members who have read this thread: 0