What happened to Aaron Gwin this season?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

What happened to Aaron Gwin this season?

i thought he was pretty dominant the last two years. all i know is he now bats for the other team (specialized), but would alone that explain his performance this year?

haven't heard anything about what's been plaguing him

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Probably got burnt out, and didn't want as bad as the others.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Lost Martin Whiteley Team Director.....

Uphill? What's that
    My thoughts are that he worked really hard for the previous two seasons to get the contract he now has with spec. He may have become complacent and did not put in his best effort. The fact that it is known that he did not travel anywhere to practice on world class type trails before last season speaks to that. The demo is a good bike and his teammate Troy Brosnan had a pretty good season on it, so I don't think it was the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    from what i heard when i was in whistler, from the people on and arround the world cup scene, he discoverd beer partying and ***** after his win last year. instead of continuing to train at the level he had for the past 2 years, he started celebrating and didnt stop lol.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    from what i heard when i was in whistler, from the people on and arround the world cup scene, he discoverd beer partying and ***** after his win last year. instead of continuing to train at the level he had for the past 2 years, he started celebrating and didnt stop lol.
    That would do it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i suppose trek can't be too upset right now

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    he was quoted saying 'usa doesn't have any good places to train'...but I think that's an excuse for sunning it in the beer garden...with his sponsorships he could have been anywhere in the world training in the off season. at the same time the competition upped their preparation game considerably. if he wasn't comfortable on the bike, that may be to blame for 20% of it, the other 80% would have been lack of commitment. dh racers are all out athletes these days and the strongest win races.

mtbr member
    #Gwinning, no more.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Good for him, enjoy it.. now, get back at it!
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yep, ***** would do it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    i thought he was pretty dominant the last two years. all i know is he now bats for the other team (specialized), but would alone that explain his performance this year?

haven't heard anything about what's been plaguing him
    This is very easy, he signed with the Spesh team, who then left him sat on his arse at home alone for almost seven months.

It's really that simple, there was a very telling interview in Dirt where the Spesh team admitted that between signing him and the first World Cup in Fort William the team had no testing at all at a world cup level track, nobody had been checking up on Gwin's training and they didn't even know if the bike they'd given him fitted properly (it didn't).

The result was Gwin showed up to For William unfit (for a World Cup rider) on a bike he wasn't familiar with that wasn't set up properly for him, to face up to Minnar, Stevie, Atherton and Hill who were all out with a point to prove this year.

After the total humiliation that was Fort William ('nothing wrong' but 20th) the team evidently went into panic mode, so much so that they took Dirt's large size review Demo back off them because it was the only one they had available, then came new stays, customs shocks etc, stuff that they should have been doing in the half year before the big races came. Gwin improved, but the other pro teams had a six month start on him, so he only improved a bit whilst Gee, Stevie and Greg fought it out for the trophies. Mike Sinyard must be pissing blood at the moment.

That's all there was to it, even Aaron Gwin 'fastest mountain biker on the planet' has to follow the five P's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    i suppose trek can't be too upset right now
    After the season Brook had I think nobody came out of this very well, although I'd put Brook on for a better 2014 than Gwin.

bike rider
    He started the season by winning Sea Otter, then smoked the rest of the Americans at Nationals. Why, what else happened? Is winning the National Championship not a good year?
    Keep the Country country.

Broken but on the mend
    i highly doubt this is true. its all hear say. clearly his training wasnt on par but to say he was partying and with girls is total bs and 100 out of character for the dude.

Uphill? What's that
    UOTE=Lelandjt;10847048]He started the season by winning Sea Otter, then smoked the rest of the Americans at Nationals. Why, what else happened? Is winning the National Championship not a good year?[/QUOTE]

No. Winning nationals and Sea Otter are minor achievements for someone of his caliber.. He wasn't even competitive on the world cup circuit this year and that is how your season is measured when you race for a world cup team.

mtbr member
    Let's see what happens in 2014, I'm sure he'll want a comeback that proves he still has it.
    "The time will tell...."

And ain't nothing wrong with beer and p***y, Shaun Palmer did it all the time and still won.

mtbr member
    Gwinning last year -> Gwishing this year.
    Another victim of the S-Curse.

and yes, that S-Curse is a play on S-Works. *pats self on back
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't think it had to do with lack of training or fitness.
    He lost his confidence after realizing the new the bike wasn't good enough to win. Which resulted in Specialized changing the Geometry every race.
    I really hope Specialized can build a one off custom for him so he can get back to his old self.
    Not saying the Demo isn't a good bike, Gwin was top 10 in all but the first race of the year, and Troy had a great season. I would be curious to see what kind of damage Troy could do on a Session.

Yes, that's fonetic
    I call BS on this. It wasn't the bike that "wasn't good enough to win."

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    agreed.. I didn't see a Trek competing for the overall WC title this year.. so clearly its not just the bike..

but we would all be fools to think switching teams didn't have some effect, so many factors to consider..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Also agree. I'm sure the majority of performance at that level is mental, as it is in motocross racing. Rider feels comfortable and happy, they will do well. If they were changing things for him all season long, it shows that he must not have been comfortable with something. It very well could have been that he just didn't like the way the bike handled. Or it could have been something else, and he pushed the blame onto the bike. Whatever the reason, we'll probably never know.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

meow meow
    ^agree with this. i think gwin got in his head a bit. im sure it affected him when he left trek for spec and the internet blew up. the pressure to win on a new team + an unfamiliar bike probably messed with him a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    And ain't nothing wrong with beer and p***y, Shaun Palmer did it all the time and still won.
    Different times matey, back them talent was enough to win. These days you must put a lot of effort (train your a** off during the off season) to be at the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Maybe it was the bike, maybe it wasn't? I am confident he will train like he has never trained before this offseason. I guess we will see what happens? If he comes back and wins the overall we will know it wasn't the bike.
    As a gwin fan I hope he makes a strong comeback to atleast competitive.
    Look at Gee, multiple wins with commencal, signs with GT and went years without winning until they built him a new bike. He wins two in a row.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I heard it was a vicious foot bunion that plagued him all season long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    the demo was good enough to bring both sam hill and troy brosnan world cup and worlds success.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ringoesroadking View Post
    signs with GT and went years without winning until they built him a new bike. He wins two in a row.
    Gee went precisely one season with GT without making a world cup or world champs win, even then his first year on the GT (2012) ended with him third overall behind only Minnarr and Gwin, so it wasn't exactly a stinker.

LCW
    mtbr member

What happened to Aaron Gwin this season?

Very simple. Gwin got arrogant and thought signing with a new team would grant him automatic success. He clearly lost discipline in training/preparing. Guys like Stevie and Gee worked waaaay harder in the off season and even during the 2013 season and it showed with the results to prove it.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT