What frames out there use a 9inch x 3 inch rear shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What frames out there use a 9inch x 3 inch rear shock

My buddy has a Brooklyn Race Link, I am trying to convince him that although it is awesome, it is a bit dated and he could get something newer and it would be better for him in the long run. His bike weighs well over 50lbs with the Avy DH8 fork and the rest of his build. He has a Avy rear shock too which is 9 x 3 and if he replaces the frame it would be favorable if he could swap everything over. So, anybody got any suggestions off of the top of their head with a 9 x 3 rear shock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    My buddy has a Brooklyn Race Link, I am trying to convince him that although it is awesome, it is a bit dated and he could get something newer and it would be better for him in the long run. His bike weighs well over 50lbs with the Avy DH8 fork and the rest of his build. He has a Avy rear shock too which is 9 x 3 and if he replaces the frame it would be favorable if he could swap everything over. So, anybody got any suggestions off of the top of their head with a 9 x 3 rear shock?
    Avalanche can convert and revalve the DHS to 9.5 x 3.0, 8.75 x 2.75 or 8.5 x2.5 and change hose, and reducers to fit the new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    9X3 is the standard that most DH frames use so it will be a long list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Won't it need to be re-tuned anyway if the linkage type and leverage ratios change?

I know plenty of bikes use 9.5x3 including mine. Sorry can't help with 9x3.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    9X3 is the standard that most DH frames use so it will be a long list.

Really? I thought 9.5" x 3" was the most common used these days.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Really? I thought 9.5" x 3" was the most common used these days.
    My Bad you're correct I will shut up.

mtbr member
    Well having a 12-14LB fork is not gonna help no matter what. So If it were me sell frame, fork, shock buy all 3 new maybe? Just a thought........

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just remembered Elka has an awesome spreadsheet with shock/frame info. Looks like you're out of luck. Couldn't find anything there listed with a 9x3 shock. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just not super common. I second the notion of just starting fresh.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/downlo...cationList.pdf

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ya I really agree he should start fresh, his bike is grossly overweight, has too tall of a head angle, and way too high of a bottom bracket. BB is 15.5. WHATTT? yes 15.5. cant do anything on that bike i've ridden it and its impossible.

maker of trail
    Sometimes its best to start with a clean slate...

banned
    Oct 2004
    I currently have a '09 Karpiel Disco that was spec'd w/ a 9.5x3 Roco WC. But the HTA is kinda steep w/ that shock length, even at the slackest setting in the shock mount. So, I also had a 9x3, and bolted that on. The HTA was dropped to 64*, 14" bb, w/ the shock set in ~ 8" travel and the most progressive (which is still damn linear) setting.
    Craig did need to tune the shock for that frame, and I do have the hi/lo ext comp adjuster for fine tuning...

With that 9x3 shock, you can short shock some of the steeper 9.5x3 frames, and still get full travel, yeah? It's the reason why I'm hanging on to mine if I ever sell that Disco frame.
    Last edited by Pau11y; 11-10-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Huckin' trails
    My FR bike use a 9" shock length... But I could easily run a 8.75" one.

And usually a new frame (or even used ones) already comes with a rear shock, commonly tuned for this specific bike.

Or get the shock tuned again.

50 pounds ? I hear ya mate

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Let me know if he wants to sell it....