What Frame To Get- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

We the people ... What Frame To Get

I am currently riding a Specialized Big Hit but it is a bit on the heavy side and im looking for a nice bike that can bomb downhills and climb and jump gaps with ease. i wil be building my own bike using top end parts like Avid juicy 7 marzocchi 66 180 mm and parts like that. the two frames i had in mind are the Rocky mountain switch 1 or 2 and maybe the specialized SX Trail but it is a bit exspensive for me right now

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    what frame do you guys reccomend and what do tyout hink about the swich frames

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbben10
    what frame do you guys reccomend and what do tyout hink about the swich frames

i would look into the new devinci frantik,amazing built and light...if i where you i would buy a complete bike to save on $$$ look at the frantik 2 and change the rear shock for an air dhx,or an intense socom but pricey!!! http://devinci.com/en/site.html

the devinci bikes are life time warranty....rocky mountain 1 year
    ouin! pas pire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yea im not a big fan of the air shox. I like to huck on my bikes as well so like im still thinkn tht the switch is the way to go i want something with around 7 inches of travel no less. im a pretty light guy considering im only 16 so im not worried about breaking my frame and like ive always wanted to build up a bike so thts wht im set on very costly but i wil be riding my dream rig. ill check out the devinci tho

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Both are pretty sweet bikes. I used to have an Enduro and it ripped. I've never ridden a Switch though.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lmx
    i would look into the new devinci frantik
    How much rear travel does it have> Also what is their smallest size because i want to learn to do tricks like no fotted can-cans and supermen and need the low profile geometry to help me get over the top tube and back on. Thats why i like the sx trail and the switch is because ive seen many people rip them up like that on the slopestlye and gap jumps courses.

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    if you go on www.devinci.com you will find the bike and at the bottom of the page you will find a pdf with all the specs...the bike is a lot lighter than the sx trail...
    ouin! pas pire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I dunno its more of a slopestyle bike. Any other thoughts on the frame?

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I dunno its more of a slopestyle bike. Any other thoughts on the frame?
    all i can tell is that the frantik is an amazing bike but for hucking i would lean toward something with a lot more travel,like an rmx or ollie at devinci....if you saw mike kinrade in (progression) you know what i mean...and for the sx trail bearclaw is doing all the slopestyle contest with it...i just dont like the design and i find the wheelbase is too long...
    ouin! pas pire.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    The Devincis are very nice...
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    im thinkin that gaps are easier on a shorter wheel base and also i wouldnt mind it for downhilling either. Im more leaning towards the switch because it has a wheelbase of 1085 or sumtn whuch is around average

Glad to Be Alive
    bullet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    Versus Blitz II very universal bike, can climb, rip DH, slopstyle do all design.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anyone who has ridden a switch how do you like for downhilling and shooting gaps with tricks and stuff?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Actaully after spensing most of my school time thinking about what frame to get it clicked to me that i can get a small demo 8 frame and put on a marz 66 180mm travel to be my hucking/freerideing/fullsuspension gap jumping/ and downhilling bike. What do you guys think

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Actaully after spensing most of my school time thinking about what frame to get it clicked to me that i can get a small demo 8 frame and put on a marz 66 180mm travel to be my hucking/freerideing/fullsuspension gap jumping/ and downhilling bike. What do you guys think

first of all if you want a demo 8 i would go for a double crown,some bikes more than others are made to be run with more sag in the rear....but not the demo 8 the bike has 200-215mm of travel in the back...i find that the best compromise is either a bit more travel in the front like a commencal dh (cedric gracia dh rig) that has 7-7.5 inch in the back and 200mm in front...and feels very plush......now if your a very big fan of specialized bikes i would consider the demo 7 or sx trail...single crown with 180mm and 7 inch in the back...much more balance in terms of setup.and buy the way if you didn't bought your fork yet go with the totem!those things are amazing.
    ouin! pas pire.

Canadian Invasion
    A VP Free? I have a switch 2.0, and I think its probably about the same weight as your big hit. Its a burly machine. It doesnt necessarily feel too heavy, but I've ridden a VP free, and you can feel the weight difference.

mtbr member
    i like the sx trail - but it is pretty darn expensive. you could probably get a 2006 sunday for a good deal... try these guys: http://fluidride.com/ it's not particularly light, but with the right parts it can be tolerable. transition makes some nice bikes for not too much cash - the bottlerocket is a sweet bike + it's light - don't know how much travel you want, that one's a little shy of 6" but can go hella big. i've always heard mixed opinions on the torsional stiffness of the rear ends on rockies... i've never had one though - vp frees and bulits rock... to name a few

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Tea im thinkn Vp Free as well but my dileema is i want to do no footed can can's off the gap jumps and stuff and do you thik that the geometry would make it fairly easy to move around the bike?

ride hard take risks
    You are looking for a sloped TT so you can step over easily & quickly. The Blitz II has been used in SopeStyle competion with great success. Check out the Lates News on the Versus site.

http://www.versuscycles.com/
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeti ASX----if going up is a priority, dont know why you would choose any other gravity bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wow- I was just going to suggest an asx when i read nufenstein's post. Seriously, this bike kills it. 9lb frame, climbs like a goat, well balanced in the air, bottomless feeling rear end, yeti quality, super flickable/nimble bike. Build it anywhere between 35 and 40 lbs.

Also- consider a bullet as well.

mtbr member
    yeah the bullets are nice. consider that in your decision definitely.
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Does the yeti ASX keep tight in the bearings and pivots because me all-mountain bike has a frame like that and it always become looses but then again it is an all mounain frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think you are asking if any play develops in the pivots? No. Yeti uses endruo max bearings (12 on the asx) with stainless hardware. Ridden for 1.5 years, still rock solid in the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    how much rear travel and is it plush enough to take rock gardens well and everything else going really fast? Like do you think i could enter in a downhil race with this bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    how much rear travel and is it plush enough to take rock gardens well and everything else going really fast? Like do you think i could enter in a downhil race with this bike?
    7.1", yes, yes and yes. It's not a race bike, so don't confuse it for one. In comparison to heavier frames, this bike feels a bit less willing to plow thru gardens. However with a solid wheelset and a good amount of rubber it's plenty stable in techy dh. If you want to race, i'd suggest a brake adapter, although i have yet to experience significant brake jack on the asx. I wouldnt trade it's balance and nimble character for a heavier frame dh frame for any type of riding, this bike is a favorite here at mtbr.

ride hard take risks
    Nothing like the feel of needle bearings at the pivots, ohhh yaaaa!!
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    whast do you guys think of the giant reigns? they have a lsoped top tube to easily move about the bike while in the air and the 170mm travel to help out with the landings. It also comes in a 15.5 inch frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Actually i spent all Friday at school looking at the ironhorse 7 point 3 5 n 7 frames n i like them. What do you guys think?

ride hard take risks
    Actually i spent all Friday at school looking at the ironhorse 7 point 3 5 n 7 frames n i like them. What do you guys think?
    Whats the price
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    specialized demo 7
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    exspensive for a specialized demo 7 i can get an ironhorse 7 point 3 brand new for 1200 at my bike shop. i mite do tht

go huck yourself
    i like the iron horse

ride hard take risks
    IH is good, there stuff has droped way down in price lately. Get it now while the pickins are good beffor the price jumps back up.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    go with the 7 point, i just got my 7 point 3 and i love it in all conditions, it climbs as well as a good all mountain bike, and then downhill it rips because of the dw-link. thats my 2cents

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    anyone know anything about the best edition of the Marzocchi 888? i think i have come to a conclusion on the frame to get. i am going ot go with a demo 8 with hayes nine and marzocchi 888 but i wanna know the best edition to get. I am looking for the most downhill and freeride friendly

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    rc2x 2006-2007 reliable and very push....by the way hayes nine are by far the worst brakes you can get...no power and no modulation...for that price i would get avid juicy 5's or juicy seven's...or some of the cheaper shimano's (lx-xt)
    ouin! pas pire.

ride hard take risks
    hayes nine are by far the worst brakes you can get...no power and no modulation...for that price i would get avid juicy 5's or juicy seven's...or some of the cheaper shimano's (lx-xt)
    Get the Hayes HFX-Mag master cylinders, awsome brakes modulation & power.
    Formotion Products

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Get the Hayes HFX-Mag master cylinders, awsome brakes modulation & power.
    you must be kidding...right! look at all the reviews on mtbr,they say exactly the opposite...you must sell hayes brakes to say that!had a pair last year 2006 and the lack of modulation is evident...their heavy and cheap,now for that price you could get so many powerful brake system...
    ouin! pas pire.

ride hard take risks
    Been using Mag's for about 7 years, awesome.

Tryed to be a cheap arz & bought the 9's once i agree they were horible, had to spend the money for the Mag masters to get that good feel back.

I dont spend my time adding weights of components i just run what works for me.
    Formotion Products

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Been using Mag's for about 7 years, awesome.

Tryed to be a cheap arz & bought the 9's once i agree they were horible, had to spend the money for the Mag masters to get that good feel back.

I dont spend my time adding weights of components i just run what works for me.
    what type of bike do you ride and what kind of riding do you do?
    ouin! pas pire.

go huck yourself
    the hayes soles are the worst brakes ever and go for hopes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you must be kidding...right! look at all the reviews on mtbr,they say exactly the opposite...you must sell hayes brakes to say that!had a pair last year 2006 and the lack of modulation is evident...their heavy and cheap,now for that price you could get so many powerful brake system...
    Have you used Mags? They are far from horrible.
    Yes, Juicies may be a good alternative (they are selling high right now on eBay though).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    whast do you guys think of the giant reigns? they have a lsoped top tube to easily move about the bike while in the air and the 170mm travel to help out with the landings. It also comes in a 15.5 inch frame.
    Yes, my 18" Reign X1 actually has a 17" ST and it's nice and compact, so the small should let you move around easily.

My list would be:
    Reign X
    IH 7Point
    SX Trail

- whichever you could get a deal on the right sized frame.

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Have you used Mags? They are far from horrible.
    Yes, Juicies may be a good alternative (they are selling high right now on eBay though).
    go to greenfish adventure and get yourself a pair of juicy 7's...the hayes brakes might be good for light dh riding but my hayes last year we're not powerful enough,i was always finding myself braking with two fingers when my hands where tired at the end of the day...juicy's never!
    ouin! pas pire.

mtbr member
    juicy 7s hands down have them on my 07 sxt, 04 demo9 and my 03 sworks enduro. the older hayes mags were nice but all there new stuff is garbage. As for 888 06 and up rcx2.

mtbr member

Kona

Kona Coiler Deluxe, check it out

ride hard take risks
    what type of bike do you ride and what kind of riding do you do?
    Versus Blitz II.
    Riding DH,AM,FR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

Members who have read this thread: 0