What do you think about Carbon DH handle bar?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. What do you think about Carbon DH handle bar?

Trade my diabolus stem for thomson yesterday.
    But the handle bar diameter of the thomson is 31.8. I need a new handle bar.
    Looking at Sun line V1, and FSA K-force DH (MK-230-OS).
    I can get them for almost the same price.
    The FSA is only 180 grams . V1 is about 280.
    So I'm wondering if the FSA carbon bar is strong enough.
    Let me know what you think. Thanks!
    Ride fast, yet ride smart!

mtbr member
    If its meant fro dh, then its gonna be strong. Carbon Fiber is a really strong material, but its also very light. I dont have any experiencce, but i'm probably gonna buy one in the future.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by FreerideMonkey7
    If its meant fro dh, then its gonna be strong. Carbon Fiber is a really strong material, but its also very light. I dont have any experiencce, but i'm probably gonna buy one in the future.
    strong until you scratch it then it will just break on you...you will find that most people are going to say no to carbon bars on here just because of the durability and chance of the carbon breaking...
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you will find most people here are going to say no because of epic failures during the 90s scaring them from it forever.

in stress tests, the carbon do just as well as the aluminum, and better in many cases.

Pivotal figure
    I ran into the same issue when I bought the D2 stem. Ended up getting a Monkey DH bar, no problems that I know of with those. A few friends have been running them for a long time as well.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    in stress tests, the carbon do just as well as the aluminum, and better in many cases.
    thats when they are undamaged though, after a few crashes and some nice scratches I do believe their strength becomes crap but correct me if im wrong.
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    thats when they are undamaged though, after a few crashes and some nice scratches I do believe their strength becomes crap but correct me if im wrong.

Nope. Not at all. The tensile modulus of carbon fiber can be anywhere from 10 to ~150 times that of steel in similar applications. In short it's INSANELY strong stuff in appropriate applications. Carbon fiber molding processes, resins, and finishing in mountain bikes are just now starting to get to the point where it's a really good option. In years past when it was still in experimental stages it was never really an issue with the fiber itself. It's still mostly the same PAN fiber as has always been around. The difference is mostly in resins and finish quality. Carbon nanotubes add another dimension to the mix. Anyway, with new construction methods it's extremely resilient stuff. All that nonsense about scratches is just that; nonsense. I'll bet in 10 years it'll be pretty much the defacto material in mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    So...
    Any comments about FSA?
    I used one of their cranks a few months ago. It was a set of FSA GAP.
    I bent them. They're low end products anyways.
    But still, it hurts my confidence with this brand name a lot.
    But, it's a big name, and it's been on the market for quite some time.
    So... might give it another chance on the carbon bars?
    These should be high end product.

mtbr member

Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by foxracing
    So...
    Any comments about FSA?
    I used one of their cranks a few months ago. It was a set of FSA GAP.
    I bent them. They're low end products anyways.
    But still, it hurts my confidence with this brand name a lot.
    But, it's a big name, and it's been on the market for quite some time.
    So... might give it another chance on the carbon bars?
    These should be high end product.

try the Gravity carbon bars. They are made by FSA I believe.
    And they are truly for DH.
    I rode mine a full season and they held up great.
    I'm thinking FSA branded carbon DH bars are left overs from a couple of years ago....
    Not sure they still make those.

mtbr member
    They were still on the 2008 FSA catalog.

mtbr member
    I have 4 months on the (FSA) Gravity Carbon bar...no complaints.

i drink shower water
    i never have ran them on a dh bike but i saw a kid at nationals with a face full of fibers. supposedly there was some damage to them after a crash or two (not sure of the crash scenario) and he came off the last little jump they snapped and his face went into them. I dont know what bars he was running either.

to me it seems expensive and pointless to run carbon on a dh bike just in case. i know people want to save weight but most of the weight you are going to notice is rolling weight.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    i never have ran them on a dh bike but i saw a kid at nationals with a face full of fibers. supposedly there was some damage to them after a crash or two (not sure of the crash scenario) and he came off the last little jump they snapped and his face went into them. I dont know what bars he was running either.

to me it seems expensive and pointless to run carbon on a dh bike just in case. i know people want to save weight but most of the weight you are going to notice is rolling weight.
    not true. you ever ride a 37 lb bike and a 45-50 lb bike back to back? you can feel a whole lot more of the lost weight then just the wheels.

anyway, there was an interesting peice on the stress test results of carbon fiber that got posted in the DH/FR forum awhile ago, i'll see if i can pin it down

mtbr member
    I broke my EC 70 in less than a month.

Yes carbon bars are strong for the forces they are designed for. Its when you get an odd force from a different direction that they break.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    I broke my EC 70 in less than a month.

Yes carbon bars are strong for the forces they are designed for. Its when you get an odd force from a different direction that they break.
    Sort of agree with the odd force and stuff..

mtbr member
    not true. you ever ride a 37 lb bike and a 45-50 lb bike back to back? you can feel a whole lot more of the lost weight then just the wheels.

anyway, there was an interesting peice on the stress test results of carbon fiber that got posted in the DH/FR forum awhile ago, i'll see if i can pin it down

Your comparing a 150 grams to 7-13lbs? I'm pretty sure everyone knows what an extra 13lbs would feel like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

no

carbon bars are to narow for dh. most in the neighborhood of 26" to 27". get a big wide bar if you want your bike to feel better. if you are trying to save wt. your seat is a better place to look. a wtb seat that has ti rails is damm near 1/2lb lighter then its steel coz.
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have the Gravity CF bars and have crashed them many times, they are scared a bit but still work great. I would buy them again.
    2007 Black anodized Moment
    Talas 36 fork
    DX 5.0 Air
    XO Rear, XT Front
    203mm front, 180mm rear
    Juicy 5

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Your comparing a 150 grams to 7-13lbs? I'm pretty sure everyone knows what an extra 13lbs would feel like.
    have you ever tried to loose weight on your bike? big things are made up of little things. You try and save a hundred grams here and there, more where you can, but i'm pretty sure the OP already has like a 38 or 37 lb glory. Not alot of room left for weight savings.

mtbr member
    have you ever tried to loose weight on your bike? big things are made up of little things. You try and save a hundred grams here and there, more where you can, but i'm pretty sure the OP already has like a 38 or 37 lb glory. Not alot of room left for weight savings.
    Reducing 100 grams of rolling weight is smarter and more productive then reducing 100 grams of static weight, and yes, big things are truly made up of smaller things.

banned
    Oct 2004
    I recently found a "blemish" on the finish of an Easton Monkeylite DH...the inside of the curve by the stem where the burnt orange paint is. I was anti-seizing my clamp bolts and trying to track down a click in the steering area and I got some on the bar. Went to wipe it off and the dark gray of the silver based anti-seize brought out the fracture in the finish. I sent it back to Easton and they warrantied it. But it was small enough to over look pretty easily if the anit-seize didn't bring it out. I'm not saying it wasn't only the finish, but I rather not chance it, and neither did Easton...
    I also have a Gravity bar on another bike. That finish may make finding signs like I did w/ the Easton difficult. I'm thinking of a white grease pencil...like the ones you use marking tires...

Why aren't you riding????
    2 seasons on heavily scratched K force's and no breakage.

Glad to Be Alive
    I would never buy them...I have personally seen 2 fail and both riders no longer ride because of injury
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I run easton monkey lite carbon DH bars 31.8 and they are awesome, there is a huge difference in the feel of a carbon bar it really stops alot of trail buzz etc. I've never had a problem with them!

Just my 2p worth

Derek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    I run easton monkey lite carbon DH bars 31.8 and they are awesome, there is a huge difference in the feel of a carbon bar it really stops alot of trail buzz etc. I've never had a problem with them!
    You never hear about the guys that DO NOT have problems. Thanks for this post! I have the same bars w/o any issues whatsoever. I love my bars! They work great! Yay!
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    Maybe this will help....

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/T.../tech_cnt.html

Easton has fortified their resin with CNT's (carbon nanotubes) to increase the overall strength and durability of their handlebars. This makes the resin much tougher, and therefore makes the bars more resistant to failure due to the limitations of the resin itself.

Ricky DH
    I've run the Easton Monkey DH (with the CNT) technology for 2 years on my DH bike. They work great and I don't worry about them breaking. I think Easton is pretty far ahead of other companies when it comes to carbon products. I don't know anything about the FSA's but I'd go with Easton if you can. . . . not sure what size bars they make.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run the Easton Monkey Lite DH carbon bars too and its strong.. and i'm not scared about if its gonna break or not, but for sure if u spend more time crashing then riding, all bars gonna fail, if you spend more time on your bike riding it, you wont have any issue, its pure legends more than anything else ...

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I would never buy them...I have personally seen 2 fail and both riders no longer ride because of injury
    2 failed in front of you leading to injuries that keep the rider out of the sport - Do you write any non-fiction?

BS - Carbon is F1, Fighter Jets...... let go of inane and dated concepts and recognize!

Its always fun to revisit this topic. Everyones story is about someone else and posted pics are googled reposts.

mtbr member
    I bought it!
    FSA K-Force DH.
    680mm width, 40mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, and 3 degree up sweep, 180 grams.
    I'm gonna install it on my bike tonight.

680mm seems a little bit narrow compared to most DH bars today.
    But I was using an Answer pro taper, which is like 685mm or something.
    So I think I'll be fine with the width.
    BTW, why so many people like wide bars now days?

mtbr member
    To ppl talking that carbon bars will break if scratched...

Still holding and it was quide a hard crash. Don't know how it is with K-Force but I've seen many carbon bars abused.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossback
    I have the Gravity CF bars and have crashed them many times, they are scared a bit but still work great. I would buy them again.
    My buddy just broke his Gravity CF bars.

Ive seen 2 carbon bars break in a couple years. I have never seen a aluminum bar break.

mtbr member
    I personally bent a EA70 in 2006. In a crash, but I wasn't crashing hard.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    My buddy just broke his Gravity CF bars.

Ive seen 2 carbon bars break in a couple years. I have never seen a aluminum bar break.
    I have seen plenty of Alu bars break, never carbon.

go figure.

Members who have read this thread: 0