What do you think of the 2005 stab- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What do you think of the 2005 stab

yes i know there is a topic on teh stinky but here i go- what if-hypotheticly speaking - i was able to be sponsored by Kona. It appears that that would be my best bet for both racing and freeriding, its a much, much better value than last years and looks pretty sick. so just anybody got any thoughts?

Ok more rant...

nevermind...

(too stupid to type)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    It is the same as the Stinky Supreme, but with a freaky paint job. Most of the components are the same.
    If you build it you get to jump it, forget them.

i should be working
    worry about riding, not getting sponsored. if you are really that good then get out there and compete and someone will throw you some cash.

Buckle Up
    Its ugly.
    <><

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    Its ugly.
    Spencer what are you doing? Get on AIM.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    lets all sing!

"the two-thousand-five Konas were like the-laaaast years, and the last-years kinda like the yeeeear-before, and the year before that was like the laaast one, which was pretty much all the same na na na...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Spencer what are you doing? Get on AIM.
    AIM? Whats that?
    <><

Cynical Bystander
    AIM? Whats that?
    Aol Instant Messenger.....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

TNC
    noMAD man

Zedro, you forgot to finish the song.

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    lets all sing!

"the two-thousand-five Konas were like the-laaaast years, and the last-years kinda like the yeeeear-before, and the year before that was like the laaast one, which was pretty much all the same na na na...."
    Hey, hey, hey...goodbye. I hate unfinished melodies.

Buckle Up
    Oh, ill have to try that sometime, thanks for the info.
    <><

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    lets all sing!

Makes me wonder how long kona will continue to use these old designs. I guess there is a market for them, but changing only paint jobs year after year doesnt do it for me.
    <><

Former Noob Herder
    Makes me wonder how long kona will continue to use these old designs. I guess there is a market for them, but changing only paint jobs year after year doesnt do it for me.
    well they did add a floater to the Stab this year, despite all their previous marketing paraphanalia of years past saying it absolutly does not need one and thats why they wont use it.....yeah until one of the pros wants one. The configuration seems to be something Brian from Brake Therapy came up with too i believe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks for clarifying that, i've never known what people were talking about either.

Don't skid
    Umm... if a design works why change it? The only reasion to change a design that seems to work ( and despite what zero thinks Kona's do work) is for marketing purposes. So the fact that Kona is staying with a tried and true design means that they can sell quality bikes for cheaper than their competitors.

Now I would agree that a 'brand new' design would be exciting but if Kona feels like they have a winner why would they redifine it? If a bike company needs a new design every few years what does that say about the old design? I am talking about the Stinkys and Stabs here, same desing has work for years. For those 4x4 guys, how has the Jeep Willys/CJ/YJ (TJ's aren't REAL Jeeps b/c they lost the leaf spring front ends) changed over the years? Same design for over 40 years. Best 4x4 ever, thank you very much, and way cheaper than their competors.

Plus the designs are tweaked, travel has increased on most models from 04 to 05. Sorry zero and wheelieman, but just cause a bike design doesn't change every year doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it , actually the contrary would be the obvious conclusion .

I am going to drink more Sierra and run stuff over in my YJ now, square headlights rule!!!!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Hey, hey, hey...goodbye. I hate unfinished melodies.
    Like in that episode of southpark where Cartman says that if someone sings part of a song he has to hear the end of it. So Kyle starts singing Sail Away from Styx and only says like 5 words from it, so Cartman spends the next several minutes singing the rest of it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000
    worry about riding, not getting sponsored. if you are really that good then get out there and compete and someone will throw you some cash.
    nah, im sponsored by my LBS and my parents arent too keen on upgrading parts, so they are going to try to get kona for me. Cause my stock stinky just isnt cutting it ( i know stinkies can take it blah blah blah but i just dont have any confidence in the components to do anything over 12 feet. Ive had the front wheel fall of and the front hub break twice)
    what were is gnarcal

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    nah, im sponsored by my LBS and my parents arent too keen on upgrading parts, so they are going to try to get kona for me. Cause my stock stinky just isnt cutting it ( i know stinkies can take it blah blah blah but i just dont have any confidence in the components to do anything over 12 feet. Ive had the front wheel fall of and the front hub break twice)

Good luck to you

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Umm... if a design works why change it? The only reasion to change a design that seems to work ( and despite what zero thinks Kona's do work) is for marketing purposes. So the fact that Kona is staying with a tried and true design means that they can sell quality bikes for cheaper than their competitors.

Now I would agree that a 'brand new' design would be exciting but if Kona feels like they have a winner why would they redifine it? If a bike company needs a new design every few years what does that say about the old design? I am talking about the Stinkys and Stabs here, same desing has work for years. For those 4x4 guys, how has the Jeep Willys/CJ/YJ (TJ's aren't REAL Jeeps b/c they lost the leaf spring front ends) changed over the years? Same design for over 40 years. Best 4x4 ever, thank you very much, and way cheaper than their competors.

Plus the designs are tweaked, travel has increased on most models from 04 to 05. Sorry zero and wheelieman, but just cause a bike design doesn't change every year doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it , actually the contrary would be the obvious conclusion .

I am going to drink more Sierra and run stuff over in my YJ now, square headlights rule!!!!

Sure, Kona designs do work pretty well. I just prefer companies that are more innovative.

(YJs are the most un-jeep of all jeeps)
    <><

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

did kona build your wheels and hubs?

I think Kona builds the frame. If your not happy with the parts, get different parts. Don't blame the stock Stinky. If you don't have confidence in the components, you might need to get a different mechanic.

l337 |31k3r
    Ive had the front wheel fall of and the front hub break twice)
    ouch....you eat it at all?
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    oooo...clever loss of the 'd' in my name, so original.

actually i've owned a Kona Stinky, and it served me well, and even better once i modified it. But Kona is ALL ABOUT MARKETING, thats why they dont actually change anything. If you read their marketing litterature, especially when comparing from year to year, they tell outright lies (or they simply dont know any better) about their designs. In fact, if other companies are changing something to address the 'handling-topic-du-jour', Kona will simply say they've addressed that when really they havent. As for 'tried and true design', well, there are better designs out there, so i'm not sure what that means. This would be all well if Konas were actually cheap like they used to, but at least up here they arent anymore for what you actually get, especially when compared to Norco, Specialized or Iron Hose (there goes the cheaper theory).

The fact is, Kona makes so-so bikes (performance and quality wise) with wacky names and wackier paintjobs and pretty catalogues and basically cash their checks in Hawaii...

PS...the original Stinky9 was one of the most horribly designed bikes ever...and from an insiders source, was prematurely released to the public (designer vs. product manager...along those lines). Kona does its testing and prototyping by selling the bike to the public, frequently in the form of 'half-years'. The 2000.5 is a good example of this, a complete frankenstein of 2000 rear end and 2001 front end designs with some one-off rocker plates....

mtbr member
    when the wheel fell of yes, over a rockey section into some grass , and when the hub broke (1st time it moved my disk sideways so i kinda did an endo and just hopped over the bars, and the last time i dont really remember how it happend, my lbs just said it was broken and orderd me a new one (same one) for free
    what were is gnarcal

Pro Crastinator
    OT - you didn't mention odi and they link to it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    I think Kona builds the frame. If your not happy with the parts, get different parts. Don't blame the stock Stinky. If you don't have confidence in the components, you might need to get a different mechanic.
    ohh i know that, but my parents think the bike is made to be that way, so teh easiest thing to do is get a new one...
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Well my LBS is also trying to get me sponsored by Santa Cruz but i dont think that will work because i wanna race so id get the V10, but it will be my only bike for a long time and like 80 percent of my riding is by my pedalling, thats why i think the stab would be a good choice, cause i dont mind teh stinkies pedalling...
    what were is gnarcal

Pro Crastinator
    ohh i know that, but my parents think the bike is made to be that way, so teh easiest thing to do is get a new one...
    *sniff, sniff* i think i smell another tony.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    *sniff, sniff* i think i smell another tony.....
    Acktually, im a Will
    what were is gnarcal